GreaseSpot Cafe

Westboro Baptist Church Prostests Comic-Con

JavaJane

:biglaugh:BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! :biglaugh:

(Click on the evil laugh above)

These are the guys that protest at servicemen and women's funerals carrying signs that read stuff like "God hates fags" and "God hates America." Jerks.

Don't dish it if you can't take it.

buddy_christ1.jpg

Edited by JavaJane

The bikers around here go to the funerals and park in front of the protestors, effectively blocking them from bothering the greiving families. When the protesters start chanting the bikers rev their bikes to drown them out. It's sad they even have to do that, but free speech comes into play...

Back in the very early 1970's, I actually met this guy. He made it a habit to come to Indiana University to "preach".

He found a convenient spot (by Ballantine Hall - one of the major classroom buildings there) to stand and preach SHOUT

at the students passing by, of which I occasionally was one. Lot's of students stopped to listen and laugh on their way to classes.

46_BallantineHall.jpg

I'll always remember one time, he was standing there bellowing out against dope/ free sex/ homosexuals/ and the world in general.

This was pre-twi days for me, but I had a few minutes between classes. Going by on my bicycle, I stopped to enjoy the show.

Phelps would say one thing/ a question was shouted from the "audience", and he would castigate the questioner for being an "unbeliever".

The thing that makes that one time so memorable for me is, one guy walked right by Phelps and said in a LOUD voice:

"HEY!!! Your fly is unzipped", and then just kept on walking away. Phelps stopped dead in his tracks.

He had his right arm upraised, index finger pointed heavenward while "expounding his gospel",

and they remained there as he bowed his head to check his zipper. When he realized he'd been duped,

he immediately yelled at the departing "commentator ": "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING IN THAT DIRECTION!!!??? nono5.gif

Everyone there got a good laugh from it, and we all went to our classes. We were used to PAYING for entertainment like that! biglaugh.gif

Now - - - thinking about that from the past, makes me think about this (not to derail this thread, but) - - - -

There's something about Bloomington Indiana that attracts folks "with a religious bent".

Twi had a HUGE following there in the early 1970's. I actually took the class there in Ballantine Hall (pictured above).

There were about 60 of us (1975), and it was a film class. Mine was one of many, that were run that year.

Plus - - you had Phelps out there spewing his crap.

These days - - - CES headquarters is located 15 miles away, and Schoenheit lives there at Camp Vision.

CES Camp Vision is right there on the outskirts of town, a little more than 5 miles from Ballantine Hall.

I guess there's something "in the water there" that attracts folks like these.

There's certainly an abundance of them. Past and present! asdf.gifbeer.gifspy.gif

(edited for clarification about 1975)

Edited by dmiller

It's too bad WhiteDove isn't allowed to post here anymore. He lives in the same town as Phelps.

His insights on Phelps and his "ministry" were most insightful, and first hand reports/ accounts.

A "window into the world of Phelps", as it were.