GreaseSpot Cafe

Almost 4,000

egilkent

On 8/3/2010 at 10:08 PM, Oakspear said:
On 8/3/2010 at 6:27 AM, mstar1 said:

--the attrition rate was pretty high by the end of the year

I wonder how the attrition rate was in general over the life of the program.

Oak, good question!  I too would like to know. I finished my WOW year, but I had a horrible year.  No way would I had gone WOW, a second time.  The first, and only time, was bad enough.

On 8/3/2010 at 7:24 AM, Sunesis said:

Somehow I ended up walking behind VP as he was going to the big tent to begin the WOW training. He asked someone how many there were and he was told the real number. He was very po'ed that they didn't have 4,000. I forget exactly what he said, but I remember thinking, shouldn't you be grateful for the ones you have?

Sun, he should have been, but he wasn't.  POS, was what he was.

On 8/3/2010 at 2:49 PM, Broken Arrow said:

Yup! Wasn't that the year where he got up in front of the Rock and said, "My heart just aches!"? He was referring to the low number of W.O.W. sign-ups. Then he mentioned 900 people reneged on their commitment.

BA, if I had known how horrible my WOW year was going to be, I would never had gone. We never got any help from TWI at all; I lost a lot of weight because I didn't have money to buy food. If TWI had wanted more people to go WOW, they should have given the WOWs a lot more help.

On 8/11/2010 at 1:52 AM, dmiller said:

You know - - - Now that I think about it, I think I do. It's here somewhere around the house (no idea where though).

Back to topic - - - -

I'd already "done my year" when docvic wanted "4 Grand To Stand". Once was enough for me.

I've no clue how many went WOW in 78/ 79 , but we lost quite a few during that year here in Mn.

And no, we didn't lose them to the long/ cold winter here either. They left pretty quickly.

Perhaps it's to OUR credit, that weren't 4,000 of us willing to be a part of the "4,000" that year.

Maybe folks were "smartening up by then"? I don't know.

For those of you who DID go that year, it was most likely like my one and only year "on the field".

Interesting at best and dismal at worst, and glad to be "done with it" at the end of the year. smile.gif

(edited for spelling)

David, I went WOW in 78/79 in Joliet, IL.  I think there were around 2000 WOWs, that year.  But I think around 25% didn't finish for a variety of reasons.

On 8/11/2010 at 10:45 AM, Broken Arrow said:

Whoa...someone who actually had a good experience on the W.O.W. field...rare!

BA, it was very rare!!  I had a terrible year, and couldn't wait for the year to end.  What really ticked me off, was when TWI wanted people to go WOW a second time!!  No way was I going I going to put myself through that a second time!!

12 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

BA, if I had known how horrible my WOW year was going to be, I would never had gone. We never got any help from TWI at all; I lost a lot of weight because I didn't have money to buy food. If TWI had wanted more people to go WOW, they should have given the WOWs a lot more help.

In so many ways.......the WOW "program" was flawed six ways from sunday.  It was deemed to be separate and distinct from the local believers....ie communication ran thru the "wow coordinator" and not the regular way-tree setup. 

• Remember......8 hours of "witnessing" a day was in the wow handbook.
  • Who really beat the streets or knocked doors for 8 hours a day? 
  • What was minimum wage back in '77?  Try working 4-6 hrs/day and take home $20-22 a day ....... and survive "abundantly"  [barf]
  • Then..........drive your car all over town to witness.  Ugh.  Car maintenance/ car repairs / gas expense

ALL THE WAR STORIES........being a martyr on the wow field.  Buncha crap.

When did WIERWILLE ever go witnessing?  knock doors?  witness 8 hrs a day? 

Hypocrites and enablers pushing the youth to go knock doors....... 

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2010 at 0:46 PM, Zshot said:

Sorry for the late response (I haven't been here at GS for awhile).

I was a wow that year in Bossier City, LA. That was one of the worst years of my life.

However, it did set the stage for decisions that I made which led me to where I am today. After my wow year, I had low self esteem, my career and job skills went backwards and I was broke. So, I went back into the Army and got everything back on track, left active duty back in 89 and got a job on Fort Devens (where I was stationed at one time) as a DA Civillian. I still work as a DA Civillian, and I retired from the Army Reserves back in 2000.

Currently, I have a girlfriend (Never been in the way) who I have been dating for a few yew years, I have a cat, I get along with my Family, My house should be paid for in 5 years, my 2007 car (that I bought new) is almost paid for and I can do what I want with my free time (If my girlfriend lets me :wink2: )

In short, my wow year taught me how not to live my life.

Z, great post!  Yes, my WOW year also taught me how not to live my life.  After my WOW year, I attended college, and then joined the Navy. Z, my WOW Area Leader was p--ed at me because, I didn't stay in the area.  I told God, I would stay in my assigned area, for one year; after that I wanted to do something with my life.  

11 minutes ago, skyrider said:

In so many ways.......the WOW "program" was flawed six ways from sunday.  It was deemed to be separate and distinct from the local believers....ie communication ran thru the "wow coordinator" and not the regular way-tree setup. 

• Remember......8 hours of "witnessing" a day was in the wow handbook.
  • Who really beat the streets or knocked doors for 8 hours a day? 
  • What was minimum wage back in '77?  Try working 4-6 hrs/day and take home $20-22 a day ....... and survive "abundantly"  [barf]
  • Then..........drive your car all over town to witness.  Ugh.  Car maintenance/ car repairs / gas expense

ALL THE WAR STORIES........being a martyr on the wow field.  Buncha crap.

When did WIERWILLE ever go witnessing?  knock doors?  witness 8 hrs a day? 

Hypocrites and enablers pushing the youth to go knock doors....... 

Sky, good question!  Hell, the man never went WOW; he never would have made it through a year on the field. F-him!