GreaseSpot Cafe

Bad Karma, dude....Baaad Karma!

Broken Arrow

I'll admit up front that I've only read 2 books on Buddhism so I may only be sharing my ignorance. There was something I came across in my readings called "Karma", which gave me some concern.

"Karma", you probably know, is that if you do good, good will come back to you. If you do evil, evil will come back to you. When taken to an extreme, I can see this belief causing serious emotional problems. Let's say someone contracts cancer. If we strongly adhere to this belief of "karma", then instead of being moved with compassion to comfort the person in need, we judge them and say, "Well, you must have done something to deserve it. You must have created bad karma." Or let's say someone has a kid with behavioral problems...the cause is baad karma. Or, let's say I'm rich (in fact, let's say that loud and long!). I'm rich, you're not because I have gooood karma. I'm better than you!!!

A popular way of describing karma, by the way, is, "what goes around comes around", or, "you reap what you sow". In my opinion this belief was what TWI taught masked under the title of believing=receiving. That is, "You are where you are because of your believing." In other words, if there is anything out of kilter in your life, it's solely your fault. But sometimes bad things happen to people who have done nothing wrong. Good parents sometimes have rebellious children. Good people have their spouses leave them sometimes. Someone can get cancer and there is no particular reason other than they live in an imperfect world, and we have imperfect bodies. In my opinion, that is the lesson of the Book of Job. Not that silly-assed teaching that everything bad that happened was because of Job's fear.

Having said all of this, I believe there is some truth with "reaping and sowing", or karma. I think it's good to do good things, and think good things, and often that can be the cause of certain events, but not always.

The concept is certainly not unique to The Way or any other singular religion. I think it's a built-in sort of defense mechanism that helps your mind make sense of things and events that, otherwise, make no sense. Let's say, for example, that your boss is being a total butt head for no apparent reason. Your mind finds some degree of comfort in the idea that "what goes 'round comes 'round". Or, maybe you have a family member that gives of their self tirelessly but is unappreciated. Perhaps this concept helps them deal with the inequity. I think there must be a part of the human psyche that actually wants Karma to be real. Maybe that's why it has found its way into so many belief systems.

edit: I suppose you could even extend the idea to encompass rewards and punishments in the after-life.

Edited by waysider

One quirky little derivation that may or may not have been unique to The Way was the idea that errant born-again believers would not be punished in the after-life but would, rather, receive less rewards when they approached the bema. This idea provided a pretty handy tool for rationalizing all sorts of deviant behavior in The Way.

Edited by waysider

This is the Biblical version of "sh1t happens":

11 I returned , and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding , nor yet favour to men of skill ; but time and chance happeneth to them all. 12 For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

Stuff happens, and it's not always due to any fault of the "recipient" - not their bad believing, their stupid action, their abuse of their bodies... Of course, it all might be as a result of one's own actions, deliberate or otherwise.

2 Tim 2:26 ... And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Like fishes are taken in a net, or birds in a snare - sometimes people fall into a trap laid by God's arch enemy.

Plenty of stuff about that in Proverbs, and in Ecclesiastes, a book that wasn't high ohn TWI's reading list.

Dunno if that's karma, or acknowledging a spiritual battle, or just acknowledging life as we all live it.

This is the Biblical version of "sh1t happens":

Stuff happens, and it's not always due to any fault of the "recipient" - not their bad believing, their stupid action, their abuse of their bodies... Of course, it all might be as a result of one's own actions, deliberate or otherwise.

2 Tim 2:26 ... And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Like fishes are taken in a net, or birds in a snare - sometimes people fall into a trap laid by God's arch enemy.

Plenty of stuff about that in Proverbs, and in Ecclesiastes, a book that wasn't high ohn TWI's reading list.

Dunno if that's karma, or acknowledging a spiritual battle, or just acknowledging life as we all live it.

Well said, I think. Sometimes people have bad things happen because of their own actions or bad decisions. Sometimes it's just that we live in "evil times" like Solomon said in Eccl. I don't think we ever really know what the case is when it comes to someone else. Now, in TWI, we wanted to believe we lived in a totally controllable world. So we had the believing=receiving thing going on. If something bad happened to someone in our ranks, we had to blame them. Why? Because we didn't want to face the fact that something bad could broadside us from out of nowhere.

The comfort isn't in having the illusion of control, it's in knowing that no matter what heppens, we'll have what we need to deal with it...even if it's death itself.

The concept is certainly not unique to The Way or any other singular religion. I think it's a built-in sort of defense mechanism that helps your mind make sense of things and events that, otherwise, make no sense. Let's say, for example, that your boss is being a total butt head for no apparent reason. Your mind finds some degree of comfort in the idea that "what goes 'round comes 'round". Or, maybe you have a family member that gives of their self tirelessly but is unappreciated. Perhaps this concept helps them deal with the inequity. I think there must be a part of the human psyche that actually wants Karma to be real. Maybe that's why it has found its way into so many belief systems.

edit: I suppose you could even extend the idea to encompass rewards and punishments in the after-life.

I agree. Let's manufacture a life that is as controllable as the volume button on a radio. A positive thought here, a principle applied there, and good things will happen to us all the time. Now I don't have to have any fear because I know the principles and I'm in charge. Thus I have created my own dreamworld of constant happiness. At 17 I believed this was all possible. I don't have to tell you or anyone else here, but that world comes crashing down in the face of a real crisis like a life-threatening illness, or a spouse that wants a divorce, or a child that is very sick. It's times such as these where one decides to cling on to that dreamworld with a death grip, or let go and acknowledge our weakness and ask for help. Help from others, and in my worldview, God.

Ehhh... what goes around comes around.

sudo

If that were true, then the nice guys would all be doing well, and the a**holes wouldn't be. Bad guys wouldn't go scott free, and the good people would all have great lives.

Actually, we would all be milk toast because we all exhude both good and evil.

I'm not much of a believer in karma in its form of good stuff happens to good people and bad stuff happens to bad people or that you can stockpile some good karma to offset the bad ("My Name is Earl" anyone?)

But I do see how your decisions and actions have a cumulative affect through your life, effecting just about everything.

Funny, I've been delving into some Buddhist beliefs lately out of curiosity... The whole idea of Karma is also caught up with the idea of reincarnation... so if something bad happens to you it is not necessarily the fruit of something you did in this lifetime, but something that may have happened in a previous life. The purpose of these bad things happening from a Buddhist standpoint would be the learning we can gain from them. By dealing with these obstacles and learning from them we can gain a greater understanding which eventually leads to "enlightenment."

Now, I am not a Buddist by any standard... But their belief of Karma isn't the exact same thing as TWI's believing = receiving. It's not always instantaneous. And the bad things that happen are looked upon as a learning experience to better ourselves instead of as a way to tell if we did the right thing or the wrong thing.

I find the whole thing completely fascinating.

**hit edit, and then decided not to add anything after all...

Edited by JavaJane

One other thought is that someone who does adhere to the Buddhist belief system would not try to condemn someone else for the bad things that happen to them, because in their viewpoint it is wrong to cause suffering for someone else. They also would understand that the "bad karma" could come from something in a previous incarnation of the individual, which takes the condemnation out of the situation... Did that make sense?

Yes it does. You're also correct in saying TWI "Believing=Receiving" doctrine doesn't match exactly with Buddhist doctrine.

While I realize that a Buddhist living their faith would not condemn someone who was suffering, my experience in TWI, and in American culture for that matter, tells me there is often a disparity between belief and practice. That while one may believe a person is being taught a divine lesson for enlightenment purposes, in reality there would be judgement that there was some secret wrongdoing or a bad decision made in a previous life. In other words, the person deserves their calamity. I could be totally wrong in my assessment never having been Buddhist or having spent any time with such a group.

I have a lot of curiosity about Buddhism myself. That faith seems to have some very effective meditation practices. Thank you for your post.

I have been listening to some podcasts from a guy named Gil Fronsdahl - you can find them by going to the iTunes store and searching under audiodharma. Very interesting... I am really interested in the attitude of living at peace within yourself. The other thing I like is that Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, and can be practiced in accord with whatever ideas you hold about God. The meditation part has proved to be helpful for me as well.

Great topic. And I see what you are saying. All religions and beliefs can easily be usd against others if a person does not act out of love.

I have been listening to some podcasts from a guy named Gil Fronsdahl - you can find them by going to the iTunes store and searching under audiodharma. Very interesting... I am really interested in the attitude of living at peace within yourself. The other thing I like is that Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, and can be practiced in accord with whatever ideas you hold about God. The meditation part has proved to be helpful for me as well.

Great topic. And I see what you are saying. All religions and beliefs can easily be usd against others if a person does not act out of love.

Ummmm...the iTunes store? Is that on the Internet somewhere? I'm an old guy. Can I download it to my 8-track tape player?

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/1/

just go that site, old man... Not sure if it's an active link since I posted it from the iPhone... Guess I'll see when I hit post!

Cool, that worked... This isn't the iTunes store, just the audiodharma website.

Edited by JavaJane