GreaseSpot Cafe

The Body Electric

Jbarrax

I'm not sure if this is the place to tout books, but I don't see any other so...

As I've yakked about elsewhere, we recently discovered EFT (Emotiional Freedom Technique) and have found it to be an amazingly effective and simple remedy for all sorts of maladies.

The material on the EFT website references a couple of books for people to read to get some more understanding of the biology that makes it work. One of these is The Body Electric, by Dr. Robert O. Becker and Gary Selden.

It's out of print but still available.

It doesn't mention EFT, but does include details of some research the author did on the mechanism of accupuncture, which uses the same biological system. The events in the book took place from the late fifties through the mid seventies, so it chronicles about 20 years of research, but the author grounds his experiences by painstakingly tracing all the related research that came before his, dating back to the beginnings of biological research and the Scientific Method. As such, it's a pretty comprehensive overview of the tensions between theory and experimentation.

What emerges as the history of Dr. Becker's research unfolds is a revealing look at how politicized the field of biology and medical research has become. Since I've seen evidence of this dogmatism in other fields, I wasn't shocked, but still a bit disappointed.

There is also quite a bit of information about the biological effects of electromagnetic radiation and electromagnetic fields, so anyone interested in this topic should give this book a read.