GreaseSpot Cafe

Two Scientists and God

Rejoice

Stephen Hawking is releasing a new book, back tracking on his view of his previous book. In 'A Brief History', when reviewing Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, Hawking said, "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

Ahhh...the wisdom of man... :who_me:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_britain_hawking;_ylt=As.10PjywQNBPW1giRgXt3a2GL8C;_ylu=X3oDMTM3YjVsbHNoBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwOTAyL3VzX2JyaXRhaW5faGF3a2luZwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzQEcG9zAzQEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNnb2RkaWRub3RjcmU-

And I know it's quite chic amongst the religiously disposed to denigrate man's abilities,

but when was the last time a holyman or holy thunderer made a photo like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

(made at the request of that evil, "senses man" - Carl Sagan.

When we're not quibbling about some arcane syntax in some ancient "holy" writ - or fighting a war over same - I think mankind can - and DOES - do some amazing stuff, given half a chance...

• Upvote 3

I wonder how many more pale blue dots there are in the cosmos..

this one seems to be my favorite. At least at the moment..

and the last couple of trips through, besides..

if one believes "all that"..

:biglaugh:

hey.. belief is subjective, for the most part..

next time (if there is one) I'll go to grad school at least fifteen or twenty years earlier, in birth years, anyway..

the most ideal circumstance would simply be to remember everything I've worked on this time around..

I just _love_ it when people get their panties in a wad when one of us e-b-i-l infidels says public things that question their god, even when their response is in some anecdotal form. <_<

Oh, by the way, Hawking's findings challenging Newton's religious views relating to science only shows science's flow of discovery, ... that it continuously builds upon, and at times challenges previous findings and theories.

... ahhh Yes. Such is the wisdom of man. Continuously moving forward and upwards. ... As opposed to religious writings and doctrinal foundations, which are often in stasis from when they were first written down.