GreaseSpot Cafe

A strong offense is the best defense

penworks

In one of my old Way Corps notebooks I wrote an entry dated 12/5/72. It is from my second year in the Way Corps at headquarters. We were sitting in the back of the BRC and VPW had us listen to a tape by Dr. Walter Martin called, The Kingdom of the Cults.

Ironic, huh? One of VP's famous cliches was "a strong offense is the best defense" or put another way, "the best defense is a strong offense" - probably his adaptation of a basketball motto to a witnessing motto. He always told us "truth needs no defense." In having us listen to this cult tape, I can only imagine he was redirecting our attention away from his own cultish indoctrination. He tried to run interference about info on cults before we had a chance to realize we were in a cult ourselves! (his technique worked on me for MANY years). Point the finger at others and away from you at all costs!

On the tape, Martin said cultists were people of these faiths: Mormonism, Christian Science, Bahiahism, what he called Spiritualists, and Unitarians. Others included the Jehovah Witnesses. One comment he made on the tape: "Cults devour people who don't know what they believe or can't prove it." And another doozie: "Cults are founded on what leaders say scriptures say." Mmm...

Kingdom of the Cults

Edited by penworks