GreaseSpot Cafe

Bricks or Stones

So_crates

The other day I was watching Glenn Beck. He had a rabbi on (can't remember his name) to illuminate the meaning of the tower of Babel.

I'll hit the highlites:

The bible refers to Nimrod as a hunter. The rabbi asked why, in those days all men were hunters. Because, the rabbi said, Nimrod was a hunter of men.

Before the tower Nimrod says let us make bricks. Why bricks? The rabbi explained whenever an alter was built to God it was built with stone. Why? Because stones are individual. Bricks are uniform--one brick is just like another.

Then there's the mortar. In Hebrew the word for mortar is materialism. What holds all these uniform units together? Matrerialism.

With this, Nimrod claimed he was going to build a tower to the heavens.

These are the marks of any dictator: we're going to make you all alike and it'll be for some greater purpose to which we'll reach the heavens.

Then the rabbi said its believed God punished them and gave them language. The only problem is the word for God is God of mercy. So, the rabbi explained, in his mercy, God returned them to their individuality.

This become exspecially clear to me when I was reading one of J0hn L1nn's books. He said a person protested his assertions by telling him "You don't even know me."

"I know you better than you do, I know the Christ in you."

That was The Cults Brick=Chist in you.

Materialism=The abundant life

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

I'm not so sure I buy into the analogy as it pertains to individuality vs. uniformity. I say this for two reasons. First, there is no evidence that "hardened/fired" bricks existed before the time of The Roman Empire. Thus, these bricks had a tendency to deteriorate over time. They would not have been a prime choice of building material for anything that was expected to have long-term permanence. Secondly, although ancient brick makers were able to achieve a degree of uniformity in size and shape through the use of molds, bricks were hand made, one at a time and thus, individual composition varied from brick to brick in regard to the "clay to straw ratio", iron content of the clay, etc. So, though they may have achieved a level of uniformity in appearance, each brick was, in fact, uniquely individual.

That was a good show, got me to thinking; should I get a bunch of food, camping gear; should I get ready, I don't know.

With that gathering together a coming, how much of this will the body have to go through, I don't know.

What are your thoughts on getting ready for this crash?

I remember seeing some show about Pink Floyd, about 'the brick in the wall' tour, they showed

them building that wall in front of the band. You being a stone, if they put you in that wall, that

would miss up the show, if that makes sense? You are no brick.

That was a good show, got me to thinking; should I get a bunch of food, camping gear; should I get ready, I don't know.

With that gathering together a coming, how much of this will the body have to go through, I don't know.

What are your thoughts on getting ready for this crash?

Yep, if Beck is right VP may get the thing he had everybody storing food and learning to shoot rifles over. The irony is that by telling people the welfare system was for the believer, he helped bring it about. I mean the idea behind entitlement is to overload the system so it collapses under its own weight.

SoCrates

"I know you better than you do, I know the Christ in you."

An odd statement to be sure and one that has no theological basis.It would depend somewhat on the assertiion being discussed but overall not meaningful.

Phil. 1: 6 states (Amplified Bible) "6And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ

, developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.

The primary relationship for a Christian is with God, through Christ. More than a euphimism the two relationships create, enable and offer a fairly simple methodology for each person to "work out their own salvation" in their own lives and that identity that's produced by the "good work" and to be fully completed is unique to each individual. We don't all become the same thing, we can't.

Unique individuality is necessary - man, "made in the image of God" can have the nature, the will (limited) and the ability to choose, as God does. From the Bible it's clear that freedom of "will", that is to choose independently of another, isn't inherent in all of creation.

To know the "Christ in me" is to know me, in the here and now. There is no "Christ in" floating around to be known or understood outside of it's frame of reference and context which is the "me", or you, etc.

Unique individuality and consciousness is so basic that it's frequently denigrated, as in the "real you" syndrome reflected in Lynn's earlier teachings with a lot of prattle around the "old man" and the "old you", losing the significance of "you", to God.

Yep, if Beck is right VP may get the thing he had everybody storing food and learning to shoot rifles over. The irony is that by telling people the welfare system was for the believer, he helped bring it about. I mean the idea behind entitlement is to overload the system so it collapses under its own weight.

SoCrates

I didn't know VeePee taught that welfare system junk, wow. It is cool watching this whole

thing coming apart, but scary too; I was thinking that the body has to off the earth, in order

for this collapses to really take off; but Socks said it best. A rolling stone gathers no moss.