GreaseSpot Cafe

Coffee Anyone?

mstar1

Hiya

Here's my situation --Ive been driving around and working in the south for a week or so and

its gotten really cold back home (Massachusetts). Im really not in any rush to get back to that if I dont have to, and I really dont have to be anywhere special until Boston on the 19th...So Im enjoying an extended ride at the moment with no specific destination except generally somewhere not way too far afield. Someone wants me to go to Indiana -but ..I dont know--maybe, maybe not,--it can wait.

Im in Savannah Georgia at the moment, a nice enough place but Im in the mood to drive---I like long drives and they are good for my head----anyway, where are you? anyone want to grab a coffee, a meal, or whatever--im open.... :biglaugh:

Hiya

Here's my situation --Ive been driving around and working in the south for a week or so and

its gotten really cold back home (Massachusetts). Im really not in any rush to get back to that if I dont have to, and I really dont have to be anywhere special until Boston on the 19th...So Im enjoying an extended ride at the moment with no specific destination except generally somewhere not way too far afield. Someone wants me to go to Indiana -but ..I dont know--maybe, maybe not,--it can wait.

Im in Savannah Georgia at the moment, a nice enough place but Im in the mood to drive---I like long drives and they are good for my head----anyway, where are you? anyone want to grab a coffee, a meal, or whatever--im open.... :biglaugh:

Indiana's expecting a blizzard today

If I have a chance but by now they are in my rearview.

I did happen upon the Soveriegn Nation of Oyatunji

It was more impressive than it sounds in the article. I had lunch with the King and spoke with the high priest for an hour or so while an impressive voudon ceremony with about a hundred dancing drumming singing participants was happening in the Yuruban Language--It was the last thing that I expected to run into but I liked it..... If anyone is interested I'll post vids when I get home

Hey Mstar - - Head on over to Wendel North Carolina and see Don Zepp.

He can show you a thing or three on your banjo. You DO have it with you, right? wink.gif

ZEPP Country Music, Inc.

P.O. Box 306

4 East Third St.

Wendell, NC 27591-0306

Local: 919-365-5189 or Call Toll Free within USA: 866-365-5189

Hey Mstar - - Head on over to Wendel North Carolina and see Don Zepp.

He can show you a thing or three on your banjo. You DO have it with you, right? wink.gif

There it is! I knew there was some thing down here I had to do...

Of course I have it with me--it's like MasterCard "don't leave home without it"

Thanks!!

ZEPP Country Music, Inc.

P.O. Box 306

4 East Third St.

Wendell, NC 27591-0306

Local: 919-365-5189 or Call Toll Free within USA: 866-365-5189

That is EXACTLY what Im looking for!!

Ive been looking and its very hard finding good banjo places in this country--They are always well hidden and off the beaten path

(I found an African Country inside the US before I found the banjo haunt Im look for :biglaugh: )

I checked the map he is about 4 hours away-so its perfect--

Like a true banjoman he opens his shop bright and early at 11 OClock :P

I like him already.

Thanks!

I owe you one

Thanks!

I owe you one

OK. I'll take you up on that. Come 2012, vote Republican! biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif

Seriously, here's hoping Don can spend some time with you. He's amazing when it comes to frailing.

Clean. Crisp. And really good renditions of any tune he chooses to pick.

I just got a new banjo myself. A Nechville Nuvo, made here in Minnesota. State of the art workmanship.

No fifth string peg. All the pegs are at the peghead. The picking/ tuning possibilities with this banjo are endless! eusa_clap.gif

Here's a couple of pics of the Nechville (made in 1994) - - - - > > >

nuvofront.jpg

nuvopeghd.jpg

Here's a pic of the "rail" system that both the regular capo and the fifth string capo ride on.

noveneck.jpg

I'm in love with this thing, and feel like a kid in a candy store! spy.gifspy.gif

will you please record something on that work of art?? and post it?----puleeeze?

You got to hear me frailing and flailing after just a few months of "playing" (if you can call it that--I'd love to hear that beautiful thang in action

....speaking of being a kid in a candystore--Im in Wendall NC now--- being Sunday Dons shop is closed but I stopped by to look in the window. It seems like small unassuming place here in what may as well be Mayberry but looking in the window at the banjo collection was like a trip to Mecca, the Vatican, Santas workshop and banjo heaven all rolled into one.

Im smiling ear to ear here

Do you know Don?

I can't access your link, but I looked up the story and read it. Thank God for Shackletons insight into what music and especially the way too often misunderstood banjo can do for the soul and spirit

I think it was nietsche who said that life without music would be a mistake ... Especially in dire circumstances , as was faced by Shackletons crew it is essential.

Thanks, ---and if you happen to find another Iink( I ll also look but I'm still driving) I'd appreciate it

Cool story

If off to dons shortly

Do you know Don?

No. I don't know him personally. The only contact i've had with him is reading all the very positive experiences

that others have had both with doing business with him, and meeting him in person. Don is someone I'd like to meet.

Edited by dmiller

Im sure that you would love it here Dave, Ive been here for about three hours and my head is ready to explode, I could easily go home with 20 banjos --every single one in the store is a true gem--plus Im the only one in there so I get plenty of time and the folks in the store are great and understand the seriousness of banjo addiction that some folks like me have...

I just played a Chuck Lee Custom that made my mouth water but is out of my range...Its sort of dangerous here! I dont think I better stop into Nashville on this trip as I just blew any budget that I dont really have anyway :biglaugh:

I'll be going home with a Wildwood Troubador and a Goldtone Cello banjo-just because it sounds way to cool.

Im very happy but its time to head toward home before I spend anymore $$ or start trading my car in or something.. :biglaugh:

I'll be going home with a Wildwood Troubador and a Goldtone Cello banjo-just because it sounds way to cool.

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

Father forgive me for I have sinned. I KNEW I should've warned Mstar to leave his checkbook in his car,

before venturing into that "den of temptation" known as Zepps Music Store.

tongue.gif

Bill - - - Congrats on the new "family members". You're going to be one happy camper. beer.gif

Here's a video of Tom Nechville (who made my "new banjo") picking there at Zepps.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly33RX9aat4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly33RX9aat4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly33RX9aat4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I suspect the ocean would be a problem.....

Driving?

..eh..well yea probably--

my walking on water skills arent that good..

and Im a little out of shape to attempt to kayak as far as Ireland.

That might take alittle more planning than this winging it trip....but I'll do it--say when... :)

Father forgive me for I have sinned. I KNEW I should've warned Mstar to leave his checkbook in his car,

before venturing into that "den of temptation" known as Zepps Music Store.

sure sure sure-It really would have helped to leave it outside in the car , after you lead me hundreds and hundreds of miles to their very doorstep :P

I had afew momentary subtle pangs of guilt (just for a moment) for overspending but Im clear now because its your fault!

seriously-- thanks--that place is a real treat and I will enjoy (already am) my new kids

Warning: If you do go take the checkbook but leave the deed to the house at home :)

Warning: If you do go take the checkbook but leave the deed to the house at home :)

Ahhh. Sadly, I realized (when my "new" Nechville arrived), that at my age this will probably be the last banjo I ever buy.

There's 3 or 4 other brands that I would love to have one of (ODE D model being chief), but it probably ain't gonna happen.

The only other instrument I really want to have now, is a five string Dahlia fiddle - - also made in Minnesota.

I don't think I'll be adding any more instruments to the household here anytime soon.

Here's some pictures of my "newest baby". smile.gif

The built in capo and engraved tuning pegs:

IMG_0262.jpg

A close up, with the resonator off and the "Heli-Mount" system:

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Another pic or two of the rail system the capo rides on:

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

The engraving:

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

The tailpiece:

IMG_0266.jpg

Edited by dmiller

dammitallanyhow! I fail to understand why we CAN'T edit here after the 12 hour limit!!!

Wasn't there a poll on this a while back????? Why hold the poll if the majority gets over-ruled? CUSSING.gifCUSSING.gif

Here's the pics from earlier. It would have been SO MUCH MORE SIMPLE to have been able to put them where they were originally!

nuvofront.jpg

nuvopeghd.jpg

What an extraordinarily beautiful piece of craftsmanship---I do want to hear it, and I just noticed that our days are numbered here at GS--It would do a lot of us "Shackletons" on the other end a world of good dave.

As for me the mstar mini 10 day tour of the south has officially concluded after a good long drive up the backbone of Virginia today..

I heard this on the radio today-which seemed right..

Home

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYb-bDngq0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYb-bDngq0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYb-bDngq0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by mstar1

Ha. If you think the "banjo spots are hidden", there's some venues that

offer top quality performance's that are even more well hidden.

Like 333 feet underground. The Bluegrass UnderGround, in the Cumberland Caverns.

Next time you head south, You might want to take in a performance there. :)

This is on my "short list" before I cross through the Pearly Gates.

Picking any instrument there with acoustics like that "available"?

Priceless! dance.gifdance.gifdance.gif

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGXlH0k23I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGXlH0k23I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGXlH0k23I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ulAiFZKNjU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ulAiFZKNjU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ulAiFZKNjU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by dmiller