GreaseSpot Cafe

State of the Spot

pawtucket

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

A few of you have written, so I would like to clarify a few things.

We started off using a company called EZboard early on. It served our needs for a few years. EZboard got complaints and they removed threads without our approval. Then we moved to InfoPop, where we paid for the board and they would not edit the content and not give us any trouble. That worked for a while, but they went into a billing scenario that allowed us a certain number of posts per month. I got a bill one month for going over the allotted posts that was astronomical. If you replied to a post with just a smiley face, ba bing, up went my monthly charges. Then they said that I could only have a certain amount of space on the server.

The forum costs were getting close to $100 a month. I could afford it and all was fine. but the limitations by InfoPop were increasing monthly.

I wanted to have a situation where I would call the shots. No one could limit us or censor us. All of the experts said, get your own server. After a few months, I did that with the tremendous help of GT. (You guys have no idea how much he has done and continues to do) We shopped around for software to run a forum. Invision was the choice. Robust, dynamic, no limitations. Once we licensed the software, content was on our shoulders. But the monthly tab for this liberty was/is about $150.00 a month. I figured if I got a few clients for the site, it would pay for itself. Being the softie that I am, there were dozens of sites and I wasn't charging a dime save two or three. (wasn't a Business Major)

I could move the site to a cheaper place, but then it's owned by someone else and censorship comes up. One person sent me veiled threats of lawsuits and CC:d TWI to boot.

So, that gives you an idea of the financial end of things. For what it is worth.

Well, this kind of sucks.

You mentioned financial and emotional wherewithal. I doubt that drumming up the financial part from the regulars here would be that hard, so I suppose it's the emotional drain that's the real reason. I understand, though I don't have to like it.

These days, I use Greasespot mostly for debating liberals and testing my Pictionary skills, but there was a time when the "About the Way" threads really made an impact on me. Greasespot has also allowed me to meet some fine folks in "real space" (Paw, Ex10, Doojable, T-Bone and Tonto) and in cyberspace (WordWolf, Raf, Belle, Ron G, Dmiller); and I'm very thankful for that, as well. NOTE: Please do not be offended if your name was not on either of those VERY abbreviated lists!

It's not clear how personal info might be exchanged here, but if anyone wants to contact me, use my screen name at att.net. I'm also in the phone book.

God bless, you, Paw

George

You all may find this surprising, but I, "Clayjay", aka "Jonny Lingo" have not only enjoyed the place, but I also learned a lot about the dark under belly of TWI, that I didn't know had existed, and then refused to believe, for awhile. The aspect of the dark under belly that I didn't believe really happened was the sexual abuse part. But, through one very good friend here (a female) who was not a part of it, but was privy to it, really lined me out on it, giving me a lot of "who's and what's and where's", convincing me that things really were that way. It also helped a lot of pieces fit together for me. Also, as ExSeventies put it in the post below, I learned a lot about what happened to The Way after they kicked me out in the late 80's. Makes me thankful that I was gone before TWI 2. And may you all who stayed through TW2 be blessed and healed up as soon as possible!

So, thanks Pawtuckett, and Happy Trails :wave: :wave:

Edited by ClayJay

Paw,

Ya know I love ya, and I'm grateful for the GS. A lot of what I read helped me to understand some of what my dad went through, why he left it and so on.

Wish we should start a thread where people can leave their E-Mail addys, but it's a public site. Perhaps you could change that for the last week of GS? Members only, and we could exchange E--mail addys...?

Just a thought.

Katie

...We all knew it would happen someday. Eyes have been opened, hearts have been healed, friendships have been forged and people have fallen in love and have found new roads to travel...

A community, a microcosm of life with all the trimmings...bickering, honest debate, laughter, tears, understanding, sharing, giving, name calling, marriages, divorces, children being born and others dying...

Thanks to Mike and all the others who have helped...I know it hasn't been easy but I hope that it has been rewarding. I believe that scores of people were healed in this old cafe...I will miss all the familiar faces and am grateful for having found this place...the place where I found Dot Matrix sitting alone at a table and she allowed me to sit next to her...

I'm sure that in the final days many will stop by to say goodbye and express their thoughts...a new years eve party to end it all?...I'll be sure to stop in...to shake a few hands and give a few hugs...I'll probably bring several cases of beer with me...to hell with the two drink limit... :beer:

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Well paw,

Thanks for setting this up.. For getting people together.. For helping share the good news. And I'm sad to hear the state of affairs..

Now.. I don't know what everyone else would like.. But I'd be willing to setup a similar (or same) site...

Just depends on what people want.. I have forum sfw and a server for web hosting.. But no sense in setting things up if people don't think it would be helpful..

Just an option..

Well paw,

Thanks for setting this up.. For getting people together.. For helping share the good news. And I'm sad to hear the state of affairs..

Now.. I don't know what everyone else would like.. But I'd be willing to setup a similar (or same) site...

Just depends on what people want.. I have forum sfw and a server for web hosting.. But no sense in setting things up if people don't think it would be helpful..

Just an option..

If you build it...they will come :)

If you build it...they will come :)

Bíonn chuile dhuine lách go dtéann bó ina gharraí. Tá súil agam an bhó bás.

sorry, laziness on my part there.

All people are happy until a cow is in their garden. I wish your cow dies.

(i.e. A wish that the removal of the cause will restore happiness)

Edited by Gen-2

Ha!

"oh... where shall I go, what shall I do.."

too bad Paw isn't from da deep south. There is a perfect answer..

"frankly, my squirrell.."

:biglaugh:

Too bad you won't be around after the first of the year.. I was going to send another substantial(?) donation to Mr. Irisheyes after the first of the year..

God first

thanks pawtucket

I will miss you all my friends

thank you my brother

I understand my friend

we had times were we did not agree but i hope you understood my heart

my heart was always to try to see the other person views

I hope you write from time to time

and that for everybody

I love you

good bye

my Email is year2027@comcast.net

My phone is right now

1 270-495-5720

with love and a holy kiss Roy

seems appropriate...

(all) please forgive me

i forgive you (all)

thank you (all)

i love you (all)

goodbye (all)

and...

bas sona!

(may you have a happy death)

Nooooooo! Don't go yet. Go mbeidh a lan laethanta agat fos.

Cad a dheanfaidh me feasta! (Just to join in with all the Gaelgoiri.)

Starting to feel slightly bereft - I may have met some of you, looked up to you on a stage or something, but am sure I didn't appreciate your complexity then as much as I do here. We weren't encouraged to manifest complexity in public all that much. And I'm still ploughing through the About-the-Way threads, haven't even made it to Doctrine let alone worked myself up to asking any questions I had left afterwards. What a whiner I am - really, I'm just glad that I found the site in time to read anything at all. Hope all goes well for Mr. P-tucket and you all (to be efficient in posting, just in case.)

I was reminded tonight of the years I have spent here. The pages upon pages on which I have poured out a lifetime's worth of words. I came here newly out and married to someone still in. There were so many people who helped me in those early days. Pamsandiego, Belle, Oakspear, Mandii, Satori, ExC . . . . more than I could name. As I explored my relationship with God and my religious heritage . . . Clay, SirG, Bramble, again more people than I could name. Then there were the chatroom food fights with Hope, Shellon, Sushi (of course), Hap . . . .

Here I grew from a frightened and confused little girl to a woman who can stand on here own two feet and take on the world, when necessary.

And among the many friends I have made, I owe a gigantic debt of gratitude to Paw for providing me with a safe place to pour out my thoughts and heart as I explored who I was and who I wanted to become. My life story is hidden among the back pages of the many faces of Greasespot. Thank you Paw, more than words can say, for allowing me a place to pour out my inner most thoughts within the safety of anonymity, until I no longer felt the need to hide. :)

I dunno. The "end of da world" is a reality worth considering..

at least on a personal level. Not that I havent'

Personally.. I've found the "connection" turn up on many different levels..

is there still a need for something like this for the rapidly diminishing ex-way? I dunno..

I just like being where I am welcome..

or at least where I am not run off..