GreaseSpot Cafe

State of the Spot

pawtucket

I will keep it open as a static site. This week, I have gotten enough to keep it open for another month. I am not very good at soliciting money. I thought that maybe the Google ads would do that, but very few ever clicked on the ads, so the revenue wasnt' that much, about 20.00 month I think is the average.

I have not solicited for one simple reason, I don't want anyone to feel that they have to pay to take advantage of what is here. For a number of years, at events like the Texas get together, some folks gave me money to pay for things, of which I am greatly appreciative. I have gotten some wonderful gifts, Rascal gave me a beautiful handmade blanket and herbaljuan gave me a few handmade wooden bowls.

So that is why I don't do any overt requests for donations.

As for the anguish part, knowing that the site has helped people, makes it worth it.

I have never regretted starting this site. One of the nice things about the way it is set up, I really have never any understanding of how it helped folks. Poster A may need help and Poster C and D contact poster A and work through things that help, but it never seen by me. We are like Dead Heads trading concert tapes. No one has any idea how many copies are out there or who has them. My hope is that any one that needed answers got some here.

I suppose the only thing that is disappointing is not being able to be myself at times. It seemed that when I posted something on a thread, that was a thread ender or some just have to snipe at me. I don't think that that is something that could be changed. A few have suggested that I take on another screenname to post my thoughts, but I just didn't feel right doing that.

When I was in CA, I would fly down to visit pamsandiego so that she could talk me off the cliff of closing GS up. It wasn't until I was able to let go and trust the moderators that I felt comfortable.

I think the original chat room on here or on Waydale was where the first birth happened live. I think we can claim it was the first ever on the internet, that was Rascal's youngest.

donating can some in many forms, though the money is needed

also things were said that needed to be said

i thought much of paw and the moderators on many a post

hopefully saying what they may have thought

although i thought it as well

avoiding wars was hard and just blowing someone out of the water

but that is not what this site has been about

every person who came across this site deserved equal respect

and got it

the trolls were flushed

and those that were thought to be and were not

were eventually taken into the heart of GSC as far as they wanted go

it was and is a well run site

i may miss it, but i do think it's time to archive it

or whatever the plans are

God first

thanks everybody

I would like to hear from Paw

His ideals have great value to me

because there Paw's

I would think a webpage that told Paw understanding of what this did

small to the point even if I do like it because not my site It is Paw view

with no way to say anything but Paw

because I bet he learn a lot

that where I think Grease Spot Cafe should go now

that just my two pennies

and it can be done for about $10.00 a month on a host or something like that

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Edited by year2027

I will keep it open as a static site. This week, I have gotten enough to keep it open for another month. I am not very good at soliciting money. I thought that maybe the Google ads would do that, but very few ever clicked on the ads, so the revenue wasnt' that much, about 20.00 month I think is the average.

I have not solicited for one simple reason, I don't want anyone to feel that they have to pay to take advantage of what is here. For a number of years, at events like the Texas get together, some folks gave me money to pay for things, of which I am greatly appreciative. I have gotten some wonderful gifts, Rascal gave me a beautiful handmade blanket and herbaljuan gave me a few handmade wooden bowls.

So that is why I don't do any overt requests for donations.

As for the anguish part, knowing that the site has helped people, makes it worth it.

I have never regretted starting this site. One of the nice things about the way it is set up, I really have never any understanding of how it helped folks. Poster A may need help and Poster C and D contact poster A and work through things that help, but it never seen by me. We are like Dead Heads trading concert tapes. No one has any idea how many copies are out there or who has them. My hope is that any one that needed answers got some here.

I suppose the only thing that is disappointing is not being able to be myself at times. It seemed that when I posted something on a thread, that was a thread ender or some just have to snipe at me. I don't think that that is something that could be changed. A few have suggested that I take on another screenname to post my thoughts, but I just didn't feel right doing that.

When I was in CA, I would fly down to visit pamsandiego so that she could talk me off the cliff of closing GS up. It wasn't until I was able to let go and trust the moderators that I felt comfortable.

I think the original chat room on here or on Waydale was where the first birth happened live. I think we can claim it was the first ever on the internet, that was Rascal's youngest.

Paw, just give us a straight answer: if the finacial part is taken care of, do you still WANT to keep running Greasespot? If no, the financial stuff is moot, If yes, it's easily enough taken care of. If you feel it takes too much of a personal toll, that's okay; but I guarantee that the members will handle the money.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

GeorgeStGeorge and others....I don't think Pawtucket owes any of us the "straight answer" you want.

If you think it's the right thing to donate to the GSC, then it's possible to do so. Pawtucket has paid and paid for 10 years and if he were to be remunerated and carry through with closing the Cafe, it's his decision. And none of us would be the losers. We have all gained so much from his kindness and generosity to keep this place open.

It's kind of like any close relationship. Finances can bring it to a head and give urgency to a decision to dismantle the relationship, but the affection which a relationship requires to continue must come from both parties.

Both parties assess their personal "cost." Many people have come and gone as they have reached their personal cost to contribute emotionally to the Greasespot Cafe, and many many many continue to invest their time and their heart and their talents into this place -- Not only the moderators, but everyone who pours out themselves -- body, soul, and spirit -- invests in the Cafe. That's what makes this place such a "rich" place to come to.

A wife or husband can beg the spouse to stay but the spouse always has freedom to decide.

Most of us have decided to abandon the twi relationship and this GreaseSpot Cafe place has allowed a meeting place for friends for which I am so glad to have been able to keep in touch with (I didn't give myself this KIT - Keep In Touch name, it came with the package of my life)

Also a credit card advertisement of "Sweet Revenge" in New York motivated me to look up the website http://www.sweetrevengenyc.com/the-story-of/genesis/. The place was founded on the principle that the best revenge is to be happy. I certainly think that the Greasespot Cafe has enabled many to do just that. :)

Anyway, thanks so much to everyone for all the kindness you have given in this place.

Kit Sober

Edited by Kit Sober

GeorgeStGeorge and others....I don't think Pawtucket owes any of us the "straight answer" you want.

If you think it's the right thing to donate to the GSC, then it's possible to do so. Pawtucket has paid and paid for 10 years and if he were to be remunerated and carry through with closing the Cafe, it's his decision. And none of us would be the losers. We have all gained so much from his kindness and generosity to keep this place open.

Kit Sober

Please understand. I'm not trying to convince Paw to keep managing GS against his will. Quite the opposite. But if he wants to keep this going, and the only thing stopping him is the money, then all he has to do is say so. I've contributed in the past, and I'd be happy to do so again; and I'm sure I'm not alone. If TrustAndObey or someone else wants to take over GS or a similar site, I have no problem helping with that, either. It just isn't clear to me whether Paw WANTS to do this or not.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

It's nice that Paw has never asked for money...because we all "belonged" to a place that demanded money and then more money. A modest monthly payment for those who can afford it would no doubt be welcomed. A mandatory fee might well discourage those who find the site for the first time, and those are the ones who most need the site.

But I think Paw spends a significant amount of time caring for the site.

Time that, maybe, he could be off playing music, or enjoying barbecues, whatever he enjoys.

The flexibility and range of opinion and discussion here is amazing. When I first came, like most people, I probably spent nearly all my time in ATW learning in horror about the antics of leadership and the snares that they used to capture and hold us.

In later times, I've enjoyed reading and sometimes posting in Doctrinal. It's as important to investigate and, where necessary, destroy the false doctrinal underpinnings of the abuse. Disentangle that which is correct from that which is clearly incorrect, that which is supposition, that which is mere tradition, and that which is private interpretation.

I don't find I can examine "beliefs" with any other bunch of people. Those at church or other Christians elsewhere accept their own ideas as correct and sometimes seem never even really to have thought about them at all. They can't see where I'm coming from with a view to examining beliefs and separating them from traditions. But we-all here have come from the same starting point (PFAL) and have some understanding of how we got to where we are now in our "religious" thinking.

Even if, now, we've decided Christianity is all a lot of idiocy, or we have joined a mainstream religion, or we're still in Way mindset, the different views are refreshing, provocative, and enjoyable. Thank you all.

After TWI requiring more and more money. 10%, over 10%, 15%.. 20%.. Geez.. I think a few bucks ain't much.. Certainly worth all the things we've learned here.

But then again, one of my biggest issues with TWI was that they required the "donations" to hear what ought to be free (IMHO). Freely you have received, freely give. I know that doesn't work for corporations, and of course that was TWI's stock answer, we're a business! But then again, if I have information I think will help someone, I certainly am not going to require money so I can help. But that's me..

Well, if you decide to keep 'er open longer Paw, let me know.. I do appreciate all your work..

(snip)

Well, if you decide to keep 'er open longer Paw, let me know.. I do appreciate all your work..

(snip)

I think keeping GSC open as a static site seems like a good idea at this point...Virtually everything in this temporal world has a limited life expectancy...Things simply ride out their course...Nothing in the mission statement of GSC indicates any isms, doctrines or credos to be adhered to and passed along from generation to generation...I've thought of the cafe as more of a transitional place, ....a stepping stone,...perhaps a halfway house or a twi detox center...Certainly not a permanent residence...Although, I can certainly understand and appreciate the permanent and maybe not so permanent relationships that have developed here...

I,myself have trivialized the work and effort Pawtucket and the moderators have put into the cafe by referring to it as simply a "place to reconnect"...But it's been much more than that...In many ways, we were like adolescents, walking down the sidewalk with a baseball bat on our shoulder and a glove attached to it---looking for a field and some others to play ball with...I would like to thank Pawtucket, here, for groundskeeping the field and the members for playing ball...Where else can you get ten, twenty or a hundred ex-wayfers in the same 'room', so to speak, and discuss all things way 'til your heart's content?...

I think there comes a time in everybody's life, whether it's leaving the way, GSC closing, finishing college, becoming an empty-nester or whatever, when one feels like one of those runners following Forrest Gump, out in the middle of nowhere, when Forrest decides he doesn't feel like running anymore, and one runner asks "Now, what are we supposed to do?"....

Thanks, again, Pawtucket, for making greasespot happen...For it, you should be proud....

I think there comes a time in everybody's life...when one feels like one of those runners following Forrest Gump, out in the middle of nowhere, when Forrest decides he doesn't feel like running anymore, and one runner asks "Now, what are we supposed to do?"....

Thanks, again, Pawtucket, for making greasespot happen...For it, you should be proud....

Great analogy, Zelotes!

I am acquiring a VPS which will be less expensive. GS will still be open, including the forums. The forums will be read only.

Let's toss an idea around. I added blogs to this site a few years back. They were used very little. That said, one of the most frustrating parts of the forums, is someone telling their story, pouring out their heart and some jerk coming in and call them liars or other things. A blog would give someone a chance to tell their story. Each person would have control of the comments section leave the comments up or not publish them. reply or don't reply. In my opinion, this would keep someone's story in one place, not strewn in a long thread. And would make moderation minimal.

I am acquiring a VPS which will be less expensive. GS will still be open, including the forums. The forums will be read only.

Let's toss an idea around. I added blogs to this site a few years back. They were used very little. That said, one of the most frustrating parts of the forums, is someone telling their story, pouring out their heart and some jerk coming in and call them liars or other things. A blog would give someone a chance to tell their story. Each person would have control of the comments section leave the comments up or not publish them. reply or don't reply. In my opinion, this would keep someone's story in one place, not strewn in a long thread. And would make moderation minimal.

sounds good to me :)

I am thankful for GSC as it helped me to understand my involvement in a cult and that my experiences were not out of the ordinary.

My fondest memory was in chat with Shellon several years back. We were testing out all of the different sounds available (laughs, door slams, etc.) woke Paw up. I guess he had GSC chat live on his computer in the same room he was sleeping. We were just having a good time testing everything, not even knowing we were waking someone up!

I remember that. But someone else, who is a squirrel, so we can't mention his name, one night decided to go in and do sounds non-stop for hours. I got home and the cats were going nuts hearing all these animal sounds. I had no idea where the sounds were coming from until I went to my computer and saw the other white meat doing one sound after another. It was late and I think I just told him to shut up, there may have been some other words in there to spice up the conversation.

It's probably time for us to give that a try.

I know we COULD have tried it before, but we got used to the forums.

Maybe this would work a lot better now.

I remember that. But someone else, who is a squirrel, so we can't mention his name, one night decided to go in and do sounds non-stop for hours. I got home and the cats were going nuts hearing all these animal sounds. I had no idea where the sounds were coming from until I went to my computer and saw the other white meat doing one sound after another. It was late and I think I just told him to shut up, there may have been some other words in there to spice up the conversation.

I forget exactly who it was, but there was one moment where there were 3 of us in the chatroom.

One of the other guys said (IIRC) "When someone shoots, I shoot back."

So I felt this was the moment to reply by sound effect.

Me: *cannon sound*

Him: *cannon sound*

Me: *cannon sound*

Him: *cannon sound*

Me: *scream sound*

Him: *ambulance sound*

You say goodbye … I say hello.

Hello to all my old friends, and sorry I’ve been such a stranger. I was surprised and saddened to hear that the GreaseSpot is closing, as I know what a close community, source of information and, apparently, dating site it has become (hi Groucho!).

My hat’s off to Pawtucket for the enormous labor of love he has put into this site for roughly 10 years. I know it’s an enormous undertaking, and he has my respect and thanks.

From the Oddlist to WayDale to GSC, I spent a few years interacting rather intensely with this lovable bunch. It sustained me, entertained me and at times shamed me, and all in all made me a much better person. I have no doubt that some successor will arise. It takes a village … and this is one hell of a village!

Cheers,

Karl

even though i started mingling here almost too late, i came to the party for what is now looking like the last few dances, and so even though i don't get close to anybody i still feel like i have because of all of their words i have been able to read even though i didn't respond back, so i'm going to miss alot of people here, and i am really going to miss being able to cough up a way international hairball and looking at it with enough help from others to make sure i got it all out. i'm glad this has been here and i've gotten so much from here. thank you to everybody that have kept this place going and a big thank you to the owner for going on even when alone and it seemed like friendless.

Brainfixed, there is a facebook group where we can all stay in touch. If you are interested I posted the link below. However, I would appreciate it if you would private message me here and tell me what name you are going to use, so I can verify it is really "brainfixed" I am bringing into the group.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=1445430273&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/

Brainfixed, there is a facebook group where we can all stay in touch. If you are interested I posted the link below. However, I would appreciate it if you would private message me here and tell me what name you are going to use, so I can verify it is really "brainfixed" I am bringing into the group.

http://www.facebook....p_2347471856#!/

thank you. facebook scares me.