GreaseSpot Cafe

State of the Spot

pawtucket

Why does facebook scare you?

You have to give more info to be a member here then facebook.

And just be honest in your words,

use whatever picture you want to.

Not everyone uses a pic of themselves.

all the hype about it not being truly private and about it being hacked all the time and that kind of thing. also my family uses facebook and they'd figure me out sure enough and then i'd be harassed to no end on facebook as well as in real life.

all the hype about it not being truly private and about it being hacked all the time and that kind of thing. also my family uses facebook and they'd figure me out sure enough and then i'd be harassed to no end on facebook as well as in real life.

Very valid points brainfixed; I tried facebook and had to deactivate my account. Family members made sure to "innocently" steer the conversation to expose what a heathen I am according to the doctrine we were raised in.

Some still have a need to remain private and I felt that need was protected here; at least in public.

The facebook place is closed. That means that only us are there. It's not open to the public. One must be invited by somebody there to gain entrance....so it's doubtful any of your family would see you there. They couldn't get into the group.

I totally agree Ducttape. And yes, Facebook does pull information to suggest friends. I'm not sure it accesses your email accounts to do this unless you give them permission to. It will pull information from your friends list on facebook to suggest people you might know.

And you have to know how to set your privacy settings and what the pitfalls of using applications are. But, if you think your email providers and your internet service provider is not also tracking where you go on the internet, you are fooling yourself. In this day and age, internet privacy is mostly a myth.

Everything you do on the internet has a risk factor attached to it. Each individual has to decide the risk v the value and make their own judgment call. Many people enjoy facebook and have few problems, others have had a lot of problems.

The facebook group is set up for those who want to use it. It is not going to be for everyone and is not intended to be a replacement for greasespot. It is simply another method to allow those who want to, to stay in touch.

I remember that. But someone else, who is a squirrel, so we can't mention his name, one night decided to go in and do sounds non-stop for hours. I got home and the cats were going nuts hearing all these animal sounds. I had no idea where the sounds were coming from until I went to my computer and saw the other white meat doing one sound after another. It was late and I think I just told him to shut up, there may have been some other words in there to spice up the conversation.

:biglaugh:

But, if you think your email providers and your internet service provider is not also tracking where you go on the internet, you are fooling yourself. In this day and age, internet privacy is mostly a myth.

It's a corn-spiracy, I tell ya. A corn-spiracy! :realmad: ... The real solution is for us all to take our Mak-Packs and head for the hills, cutting ourselves off from that devil-invested civilization. :evildenk:

But seeriously, as regards email providers and internet providers that are in cahoots with such privacy invading varmints, the same common sense approach applies, set whatever settings you can to determine where your info goes, get whatever anti-spyware/anti-malware/anti-underwear utilities you can and set them up to how you want, and just watch whatever/wherever you go, and I think your privacy/safety will do a lot better than you might think.

Wow! Kinda like in real life. :dance:

Meanwhile, back I go to perusing my black-hat hacker site. :evilshades:

Someone posted that facebook used their isp to suggest "friends", friends from their older account when they opened a 2nd account. Facebook is not all that secure and not for everyone....

That was me. I opened one Facebook account with EVERYTHING disabled, and not using my real name.

I later opened one for this (the other week). As soon as I signed in, it suggested 2

"friends"- the one "friend" for the other account, and someone recommended for that

because they knew the "friend."

The only connection between the 2 accounts, separated by months, was the same IP address was used

for both accounts. So, yes, Facebook monitors your IP address. Even when I gave them no personal

information (and neither account has any real correct info), they will still log the only things

they can log- IP address and email address.

If brainfixed wants to use an alias for his account and sign up for the Facebook group (which IS

a "private" group), he can do that and set everything on the account so only he sees it.

Then let someone know what name he's using so they can approve him for the group.

http://xkcd.com/743/

D'ya mean I can open a new FB account for "Twinky" separate from my account in my real name?

But that if I do so, FB will figure out who is in my real-name address book or FB account, and suggest those people as friends for Twinky?

D'ya mean I can open a new FB account for "Twinky" separate from my account in my real name?

Yes.

But that if I do so, FB will figure out who is in my real-name address book or FB account, and suggest those people as friends for Twinky?

So long as you're logging in from the same IP address, it will suggest those people as possible "friends" for Twinky.

Of course, you don't have to make them "friends" of the new account.

In the war upon the saints, Greasespot Cafe has been a refuge.

When waydale closed I painstakingly copied over In Memorium notes (friends and family) but I don't have the heart to do it again.

I'm really sorry it's closing. WIsh Pawtucket could find a way to transfer ownership or incorporate or something.

It's a treasure of a place for so many without a voice to say so, and I am will be way sorry to see it close.pi_cry.gif

Hi,

Thnx Pawtucket for all the hard work you did and the money you spent. It has benefitted many people!

Can I make a suggestion? Why don't we ( The ex Wayfers and sympathizers) start a NEW Forum thats on one of the free forums, and keep in touch that way. Ive been running a gaming Forum http://s7.invisionfree.com/Royal_Noobs_Clan/ on Invision for about 5 years now and although its not as good as this forum, it kinda serves the purpose. If anyone is up for this, Im willing to help. I know theres some admins who could set it up and maintain it, and it wouldnt be as BIG or versatile as this forum, but it might be nice to keep this going on a free forum

Hah! I just clicked on the FB link above and have been offered as a Friend someone ... let's say, that I don't care to spend time with. Just because I added someone I do care to spend time with, as a Friend.

I kinda like being here, anonymously.

And conversing with others, anonymously.

We all change...a bit. We were all changed...badly, sometimes, by TWI. Some got better afterwards, and some got worse.

Maybe I converse here with some from TWI that I would not care to spend time with.

But while there is a "history" with not-so-nice-Fred-from-TWI, there isn't a history with cuppa-java-Fred-from-GSC.

Wow... I have stopped by the Cafe less and less over the past two years... just happened to drop by tonight and saw this...

Like so many others I have mixed feelings... this place was critical to my recovery from twi since I only found WayDale when the lawsuit broke, and thank God Pawtucket took up the reins when the Allens departed!!!

Once I was on solid ground, I stayed for a long, long time to help others who found this place and I hope I was able to help a few as they passed through, as others helped me when I was just figuring things out.

So thankful for all of you!!

TheHighWay

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck to You Dear Pawtucket, in all of your endeavors.

You did well here, and helped many.

No need to feel obliged anymore to anyone or tied to something that needs to evolve into what people will find next on their paths.

Your generosity of spirit and will is something many will always aspire to ... you are a fine example of a man helping his fellow man.

Be well and move forward knowing you have done as well as anyone ever could have with an ex cult site... maybe even that you did it is remarkable enough!

People found their way through either their experiences or their emotions after such a time or experience as The Way International!

You will always be a sort of 'hero' to me for putting up the mirror and the light, for all to see where they came from, and some, a glimpse of where they could go from really being down and out.

Precious and Few are people like you .... I am sending the most positive thoughts to you and yours during this transitional time.

Wish for all the Beat and ...bam! See it staring right back at you.

Peace and Love Always,

Ginger Tea

Have a cup of ginger tea with agave sweetener (raw and organic, of course,) and some meyer lemon and passion flower... to stay relaxed, you know?

xoxo