GreaseSpot Cafe

Coming out of the Closet

Oakspear

Most of us who moderated here at GSC have chosen to maintain a Moderator identity separate from our "regular" GSC identity. Some of you thought that was a bad idea, some of you agreed with it. Since we will be closing the doors and shutting off the lights here pretty soon, I've decided to come out of the moderator closet.

Currently I moderate under the handle "Mod Kirk", I've been Mod Cow and Moddishwasher and maybe one or two more that I can't remember! Since I don't plan to do any moderating for the rest of the month, I thought this was a good a time as any to unveil the secret identity!

I've been moderating for about seven years, ever since the first Weenie Roast and am proud to have helped Pawtucket mop the floors and wash the dishes. I've always tried to be fair, haven't always succeeded, but have enjoyed the ride.

Anyone else want to "come out"?

One night I logged on after midnight and some idiot had started about a dozen threads featuring explicit pics of bestiality. Spent a lot of time deleting threads as he (or I guess she) kept posting more. After awhile I figured out that I could just suspend him and mass-delete all his threads.

Kirk, cow and dishwasher were all 1 moderator?

Here I was thinking there were a lot more moderators, alternating moderating....

There have been fluctuating numbers of moderators over the years. I periodically would get tired of one mod handle and switch it up. For about a year there were two of us sharing the moddishwasher handle.

I don't think that there's ever been more than 3 or 4 active moderators at a time.

There have been many that have moderated over the years. It's not a fun job much of the time, but it has to be done. I started identifying moderators with the "mod" prefix to give the mods a chance to be a poster and a moderator. In the beginning, they did it with their normal screen name, and could not post without getting hounded for their moderator duties.

Here are the "mod" names, not all were used

Modaustin

modwaiter

Mod Kirk

modpsycho

modcat5

Modbot

ModDog

modduck

modrabbit

modrobin

modmalibu386

mod45rpm

modchef

modbaker

mdousop

modwildcat

Modgellan

ModRocker

modelvis

Don't you wish parenting duties came with a a Mod . . . you know . . . for the ugly times . . .

. . . "I am not your dad right now . . . I'm ModDad . . . now behave yourself and I will go . . . when your dad gets back . . . be angry with ModDad . . . not dad . . . they are different . . ."

• Upvote 1

It isn't so much that I want my life back, as it is time for a fresh look at what the ex-way community is. I put the blog section up, hoping more would utilize it. Blogs are much better for sharing your experience than a thread, I think anyway.

And I am finally setting out on my spiritual journey, no offshoots thank you very much, I haven't done that since starting GS. I didn't want my viewpoint to skew things here and they would have done that. The position that I am in, almost requires "religious neutrality" Over the years, I have spoken with Dr. Juedes about this matter, I just wasn't drawn to anything. And the Way teachings had soured my outlook on traditional religions.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I will share it again. I had something from my past that needed resolution, being molested as a teen by a priest. That had filtered the way I looked at just about everything in life. I have let it sit in the back of my mind for decades. About a year ago, I got in contact with a local journalist that followed the Catholic priest molestations for years. I asked him if he had heard of this priest, he hadn't. He did say that the Diocese had set up an independent office to investigate the crimes and he kept the bishop up to date, but it would first be reported to the authorities, (Police or Sheriff) And he would not let the Diocese interfer in any way.

I contacted the office, reported the crime, was deposed. I got to find out what happened to the priest. While he had died many years ago and the statute of limitations had long expired, I had finally reported the crime. It lifted quite a load from my shoulders and cleared the way for getting on with my journey.

This year has been challenging. With all the good, much turmoil has happened.

There have been many that have moderated over the years. It's not a fun job much of the time, but it has to be done. I started identifying moderators with the "mod" prefix to give the mods a chance to be a poster and a moderator. In the beginning, they did it with their normal screen name, and could not post without getting hounded for their moderator duties.

Here are the "mod" names, not all were used

Modaustin

modwaiter

Mod Kirk

modpsycho

modcat5

Modbot

ModDog

modduck

modrabbit

modrobin

modmalibu386

mod45rpm

modchef

modbaker

mdousop

modwildcat

Modgellan

ModRocker

modelvis

Okay, okay, I confess. I am Modbaker. There, I have come out of the closet. Are you happy now??

Actually this is Abigail. The most hated and feared of all moderators. ;)

It isn't so much that I want my life back, as it is time for a fresh look at what the ex-way community is. I put the blog section up, hoping more would utilize it. Blogs are much better for sharing your experience than a thread, I think anyway.

And I am finally setting out on my spiritual journey, no offshoots thank you very much, I haven't done that since starting GS. I didn't want my viewpoint to skew things here and they would have done that. The position that I am in, almost requires "religious neutrality" Over the years, I have spoken with Dr. Juedes about this matter, I just wasn't drawn to anything. And the Way teachings had soured my outlook on traditional religions.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I will share it again. I had something from my past that needed resolution, being molested as a teen by a priest. That had filtered the way I looked at just about everything in life. I have let it sit in the back of my mind for decades. About a year ago, I got in contact with a local journalist that followed the Catholic priest molestations for years. I asked him if he had heard of this priest, he hadn't. He did say that the Diocese had set up an independent office to investigate the crimes and he kept the bishop up to date, but it would first be reported to the authorities, (Police or Sheriff) And he would not let the Diocese interfer in any way.

I contacted the office, reported the crime, was deposed. I got to find out what happened to the priest. While he had died many years ago and the statute of limitations had long expired, I had finally reported the crime. It lifted quite a load from my shoulders and cleared the way for getting on with my journey.

This year has been challenging. With all the good, much turmoil has happened.

It is a very difficult thing, to come forward with a story like yours. I wish you peace on your continued journey and may 2011 bring much joy to all of us!