GreaseSpot Cafe

Coming out of the Closet

Oakspear

Okay, okay, I confess. I am Modbaker. There, I have come out of the closet. Are you happy now??

Actually this is Abigail. The most hated and feared of all moderators. ;)

I thought that was me who was most hated and feared. HAHA.

All these years I've been thinking that.

About time so many closets were thrown open I guess eh?

Since you came into the mod job after I'd already burned out, I hope you enjoyed the ladies room facilities, did you find the good coffee I hid in the back?

Shellon - - You were the only Mod that used your real screen name. Gotta say Thanks for that! eusa_clap.gif

Abi - - - actually, you "outed" yourself over on Refiner's JW MoChat site, but I never made it public. smile.gif

Regardless of all that - - - all the Mods here have "done good". Here's to all y'all. beer.gif

I've been pretty lucky. Mods don't take action for rotten spelling (whew) - - but there were a few times somebody had to clean up for me.....and I lived through it. Anytime I asked why...there was a very good reason.

BUT - - I have to say, since I found that "flag" button.....there has been contact made with me PRONTO...sometimes within 15 minutes. Just today I did something stupid and I had to ask a moderator to fix something and he/she took care of it and I thing less than 10 minutes went by.

Moderators, thanks. If somebody need a "spanking" you did it well.....if something need tending in another area....you did that extraordinarily well. You kept me from looking like I was stoopid.

I have never been a moderator here. Also, I have never posted under other names to further particular agendas (but if I had, it woulda been as Paragraph Lady in support of the English language). Oh, and I am not now - nor have I ever been - Satori.

I have done more than a little closeted pseudo phone-a-friend co-adminstrating here, although not for awhile. In fact, for years, Paw and I used to gripe about how we never talked about anything BUT GreaseSpot. Now it comes up only occasionally. He has the moderators to thank for that. It made a HYOOOOOOOOOGE difference. Used to be I'd have to talk him out of closing GreaseSpot at least 3 or 4 times a year. In recent years it's been much better.

These days I mostly feel out of touch with what's going on here, which kinda bums me out. The writing-it-out-of-me process I started on WayDale and continued here and on the road was a major turning point in my life. Then real life got in the way. But it's just as well not to spend so many hours in cyberland I suppose. Still... the connections made here, the underlying meaning, the words on the page... it is some fine and pithy stuff.

KUDOS TO THE MODERATORS! Closeted or otherwise. You guys rock.

Well I was never a moderator, but I sure do appreciate all the hard work you all have done and are doing, no matter who you are.

I had a couple of occasions to click on the report linky, and you guys have always been quick to help out and then let me know what was done.

I think you all deserve a round of applause.

Sometimes on a blog/forum people misunderstand the intent of posters replies, but you guys seem to go the extra mile to handle touchy situations, and handle them so the poster isn't necesarily spanked in public.

knowing when to take something down and when to let comments stand sometimes, is a very delicate situation... I believe from what I have seen while here that it has been done with style and consideration.

A big Thanks to you all from me. It is comforting to know that when some one gets ugly, there is some one watching over things to step in and referee.

Edited by leafytwiglet

I was modcat5.

Some folks may have figured that out.

I think I used the ability to delete a few out of line posts, got into it with a poster or two. One person figured me out specifically.

By the time I was arguing with folks in the JW forum about moderators, it was sort of moot: I still had the ability to come in and moderate, but I had not exercised it in ages.

I wish I were the mod I knew to be.

In any event, the name modcat5 was a hurricane reference. Cat 5. get it?

Paw, I wish you well as you seek release from your private prison...I mean, the priest thing. Reporting it was good. I hope you get as much release in the way that you need, as you've enabled for others at this site.

Johniam, I was never a Mod. And, I think that maybe PFAL Mike was probably the most hated. But, I never did fit in with the status quo around here. But I WAS a "Wayfer" as much as anyone else here, and even more so than at least one here (SS) I know of who was never in The Way ,so I always thought I had a right to speak my mind around here, and have done so...

Edited by ClayJay

Raf, Abigail, ClayJay (J Lingo) and Oakspear. All you guys are moderators? I'm surprised I didn't get suspended MORE.

John, I'm pretty sure I never moderated you. In fact, I got involed as a moderator, in part, to defend voices like yours and Oldiesman. I may not agree with you on very many topics, but I always believed you had a right to voice your opinion (as long as you did so respectfully). I also believed you had a right to be treated with respect when people responded to you.

Believe it or not, as much as your opinions angered me at times . . . I angered a number of my friends defending your right to express them.

I should qualify that by explaining that I did not so much have to defend you to other moderators in my moderator hat. It was more an issue of defending you to other posters in my Abigail hat.

Abi, you were a wonderful mod. Actually, I was never moderated on anything here until I sallied forth into the political forum this past year. But it was a pleasure talking with you Abi - you've got a good heart. I hope your family is doing well.

Alas, I think I am #1 on Paw's list. :(

Sorry Sunesis,

You weren't even close in the hated list, now the pita list is another story!

The most hated were the ones that preyed on peoples' emotions and used them for their morbid fun. They would take on a screenname and build a fictional life around it over a period of months. Then prey on an individual gain their trust and do some horrendous real life crap. I've never tried to figure out the number, but there were at least 3 different people that did this, humiliating an innocent party. Those were the ones that would make that list. In fact, I think one of them is an active member right now.

So if you wonder why I jump at troll-like behaviour, that is why. I have little tolerance for that kind of behaviour

Abi, you were a wonderful mod. Actually, I was never moderated on anything here until I sallied forth into the political forum this past year. But it was a pleasure talking with you Abi - you've got a good heart. I hope your family is doing well.

Alas, I think I am #1 on Paw's list. :(

Thanks Sunesis. Things are settling down into something akin to a routine again. Hoping to get the oldest back to school when the break is over.

FWIW - you and ClayJay . . . . everyone gets mad sometimes. I have been moderated too. Everyone gets that.

Some people, I wouldn't moderate if my life depended on it. Never moderated Mike. Never moderated johniam. Tried never to moderate anyone I got into fights with, just to play it safe. I did moderate one person I probably shouldn't have. I stand by the moderating, but someone else should have done it. In any event, I checked with the other mods to make sure I wasn't letting personal tension get in the way of fairness. Funny thing is, I actually like that poster. We just got into fights now and then for reasons that somehow don't seem important.

Some people, I wouldn't moderate if my life depended on it. Never moderated Mike. Never moderated johniam. Tried never to moderate anyone I got into fights with, just to play it safe. I did moderate one person I probably shouldn't have. I stand by the moderating, but someone else should have done it. In any event, I checked with the other mods to make sure I wasn't letting personal tension get in the way of fairness. Funny thing is, I actually like that poster. We just got into fights now and then for reasons that somehow don't seem important.

Funny how some of the things that once seemed so important don't anymore, eh?

Other than the types Pawtucket (he's not my paw) mentioned, nobody was hated. Although we didn't always succeed, we mods tried to be even-handed.

Personally, I learned much more from the people that I disagreed with than those that were on the same page. Mike and I always kept things civil between us, although I just couldn't see the logic in what he was saying, ClayJay & I have had a respectful rapport even though we live on opposite ends of the political spectrum, and people like Geisha and I have had great conversations even though I'm apparently destined for hellfire for eternity! :evilshades:

As a moderator, the one consistent thing was the close-to-equal number of complaints that we moderated too much compared to those who thought we should be more vigilant. :CUSSING:

Other than the types Pawtucket (he's not my paw) mentioned, nobody was hated. Although we didn't always succeed, we mods tried to be even-handed.

Personally, I learned much more from the people that I disagreed with than those that were on the same page. Mike and I always kept things civil between us, although I just couldn't see the logic in what he was saying, ClayJay & I have had a respectful rapport even though we live on opposite ends of the political spectrum, and people like Geisha and I have had great conversations even though I'm apparently destined for hellfire for eternity! :evilshades:

As a moderator, the one consistent thing was the close-to-equal number of complaints that we moderated too much compared to those who thought we should be more vigilant. :CUSSING:

Mike, ClayJay, and then me bringing up the rear? I think I am going to have to ponder that one for a bit. :)

I figured it was you moderating a few times and one in particular ...you were very gallant coming to my rescue when a now banned poster didn't like my liberal leaning and called me a, not so nice, name. Thanks for that!!

I think I will miss our conversations here the most.....I learned a great deal. So, thanks for that too......

Reading about a possible new site....I did wonder how someone was going to recreate the even handedness of Pawtucket and the diplomacy of the moderators? A unique combination of class and temperament that has made this place so comfortable. I wish them luck.

BTW....I still have a bottle of Berkshire Brew with your name on it....anytime.