GreaseSpot Cafe

New possible site

TrustAndObey

Ducttape,

What happened is this. Pat Roberge had the ExCult Magazine site. He also had a site called something like, The Way of Christ... The Way, I believe sent him a cease and desist order about using "The Way" in his website name. Pat had registered and was using another name with a similar name. He did not cease or desist. So they took him to court in NH and won. TWI has managed to trademark a term in the Bible so that no one else can use it in their name. Whoever did their trademark paperwork were able to trademark, The Way.

TWI has successfully sued a number of churches that use "The Way" in their title. My understanding is that one could use, "Way" as long as "The" is not in front of it. I also believe that that is why we were never sued for the "THE" thread

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducttape,

What happened is this. Pat Roberge had the ExCult Magazine site. He also had a site called something like, The Way of Christ... The Way, I believe sent him a cease and desist order about using "The Way" in his website name. Pat had registered and was using another name with a similar name. He did not cease or desist. So they took him to court in NH and won. TWI has managed to trademark a term in the Bible so that no one else can use it in their name. Whoever did their trademark paperwork were able to trademark, The Way.

TWI has successfully sued a number of churches that use "The Way" in their title. My understanding is that one could use, "Way" as long as "The" is not in front of it. I also believe that that is why we were never sued for the "THE" thread

Thanks Paw, would hate to see a new site start and be open to that harassment. But if your helping I'm sure all the legal bases will be covered.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53kJX64ieQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53kJX64ieQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53kJX64ieQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here are just a few of my thoughts..

I do agree, we could do two sites. One more "innie" friendly... The other for us hardcore greasespots.

What I don't want to do though is trample on other people's thoughts and ideas. Greasespot Cafe is paw's baby. He came up with the name, and brought it completely into fruition. I'm not able to stand in his shoes, or WayDale's shoes. Only my own.

And unfortunately, I really have to watch the legalities of these things. No one here has authorized me to copy their posts from the forum. No on has given me authorization to use their TWI documents, GS radio tidbits, or any other thing. So using them on a different site, I need to be cautious about. I am definitely no lawyer. Haven't a clue really. Although I have started thinking through hosting outside the US with more "friendly" countries that I have actual friends living that could help and that would be able to offer better liability protection to the site.

Yeah, I just don't know..

But I am hoping to have a site up by the New Year (unless someone else is setting one up, but I haven't heard, so let me know if so!)..

I have setup forums before, going all the way back to the BBS era in the late 80s as a co-sysop and sysop of different "boards". So I do have a bit of experience. But then again, everything's new for me..

My goal is to help continue the flow of information. To unhinder the voices that have been stopped, and help loose those who TWI and it's shoots have bound with their nonsense and unChristian activities. So, where ever I can help. Setting up this site, I believe can. But if you guys don't think so or if there's something else you think I could do, wake me up now!

I'll send you an email.

I will keep GS open at least until the end of January. The 12/31 deadline was very shortsighted on my part.

Forums may not be the way to go. There are so many ways to communicate. The GSC group on Facebook has had a very steady stream of chatting this week. You may want to just start a chat room. GT set up the IRC server for me, which was the in thing in 2000, but now people find it obtuse. I think it is fascinating. You can set up all sorts of bots and filtering and rules; just great stuff. But I think the GS Chatroom heydays Jumped the Shark during the Great Cheesecake Wars a few years back. A chat room may be the first thing that you do. I did the same thing months before Waydale shut down. It was slow up until Waydale shut down and then it filled up quickly.

Actually quite a few people left the night a teen was in there, although not explicitly said, the chat room was designed for adults. Someone started talking about genitalia and I booted the guy out. Everyone got ticked at that one.

Anyway, see what's out there in chat software. I used a service, parachat, it was about 15-20 a month. But I know that there are a number of open source packages to use.so that may be a place to start. I have a few domain names that I could point to your server until you decide upon a name.

As I said earlier, more and more people want social type sites. More interaction and more immediacy. Heck, I think if you set up some blog software and a chat room, you may have all that you need. One of the downfalls of a forum, when someone is telling their story is getting those individuals that want to throw the first stone. Blogs can limit who say what in comments or no comments at all.

My two cents... the name should be new (not include GreaseSpot). GS was distinct from WayDale, had its own personality. The ex-way community 3.0 should have its own identity too, whatever that is.

My guess is we're going to figure out a way to keep the GS content online, but read-only. It can remain as an archive in its own right.

You have extwi.com Paw??????? That's funny.

The changes in social networking are certainly worth taking into consideration.

dang, all those people have names, how am I supposed to know who's who without their real Greasespot names? :wink2:

Since Facebook has a history of sharing and selling profile information with vendors and things,

I'm signing up for Facebook only because you guys mean so much to me.

However, I'm using my GSC name and not using my physical photo.

You'll have no trouble telling that I'm the same poster as always.

My avatar=my profile pic.

Im still not signing up for Facebook. I'll happily join whatever the next generation of GSC is, though.

George

I'll join you at the next iteration of the website and messageboard and so on.

As much as I like my privacy, I was able to sign up for FB using a lot of anonymous information and

setting almost the entire account to "only I get to see this."

Frankly, people can learn more about me reading my posts here than even if they hacked into my

FB account. The most they'd get there is a correct email address, where I'm from,

and the year I was born.

Besides, how my profile is here is pretty much how I picture myself part of the time,

so that's hardly "anonymous" as I see it. Even I can't see FB getting much use of my information.

As to books I like and movies I like, well, if they can make something useful of that, they're

welcome to it.

I'll join you at the next iteration of the website and messageboard and so on.

As much as I like my privacy, I was able to sign up for FB using a lot of anonymous information and

setting almost the entire account to "only I get to see this."

Frankly, people can learn more about me reading my posts here than even if they hacked into my

FB account. The most they'd get there is a correct email address, where I'm from,

and the year I was born.

Besides, how my profile is here is pretty much how I picture myself part of the time,

so that's hardly "anonymous" as I see it. Even I can't see FB getting much use of my information.

As to books I like and movies I like, well, if they can make something useful of that, they're

welcome to it.

If you get facebook sent to your cell phone, make sure you go into your setting under contact and erase the number--you'll still get the msgs, but your # won't be out there.

Why not?

We discussed this a page ago. Facebook doesn't believe in people's information remaining private.

They are a business, and their "product" is the personal information of the users.

They sell it to advertisers and other businesses.

Just to tell you how intrusive they are....

I have 2 FB accounts, neither with my real name.

When I added the 2nd one a few days ago, FB automatically served up someone I'd been in contact with

on the other account as a possible "friend." In other words, they logged my IP address with both

accounts and concluded that whoever is here is the same person.

I guarantee you there's nothing that says Facebook will spy on your IP address and treat multiple accounts

as automatically interchangeable.

Not to mention the fun Ron G had when someone hacked his account, locked him out of it, and then sent scam notices to all his "friends" that he was mugged in London and needed money to get back home. (Something similar happened to my ex-wife with her Gmail account.) The hassle to undo all that nonsense was significant.

I use LinkedIn because it's a more professional networking site, though, I imagine, it could be hacked, as well.

George

I'm not a huge fan of Facebook myself with all the information floating around these days. Unfortunately, the account I did have had a lot of the information (even though it was all marked as private) copied to other "Personal data" sites I'm finding. Since then, I've not visited as much except to respond to those who only visit there.

Still working on getting the new site up (Unless of course this one stays after January).

I am still in search of a good name..

What does everyone think about The Online Rock?

I'm not too "creative", I know...

Should have chat, forums, personal profiles, and the front page done by New Years..

I'm not a huge fan of Facebook myself with all the information floating around these days. Unfortunately, the account I did have had a lot of the information (even though it was all marked as private) copied to other "Personal data" sites I'm finding. Since then, I've not visited as much except to respond to those who only visit there.

Still working on getting the new site up (Unless of course this one stays after January).

Should have chat, forums, personal profiles, and the front page done by New Years..

Paw said he's keeping the GSC open for reading, but not for posting. (At least for then.) Me, I appreciate it greatly.

I'm still waiting for my muse to come up with some names. I think it's too tired from all the holiday hooplah.

I may have something in a week.

The great thing about "Greasespot Cafe" as a name is that it had nothing to do with any one belief, and it was a real thumbing of the nose to twi. LCM all said we'd be greasespots by midnight - so this is the place we all met to prove we were still here (kinda like a stubborn debbil spurt.) I'd use a name that points to something old and something new...something with the word "Diner" in the title. That would maybe lend some continuity from the "Cafe" image that we all came to know and love. Then instead of greeting new folks with a cuppa joe, we can greet them with adam and eve on a raft. (That's poached eggs on toast.)

Just a thought....