GreaseSpot Cafe

Should I attend or not?

Catcup

Should I attend the wedding or not?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. I have been invited to The Way International to attend the wedding of a relative. How should I RSVP?

• On principle, you should not attend, but send a small gift
    • Do not attend, nor should you send a gift
    • Do not attend, don't send a gift, ignore the RSVP, because you have better things to do with your time, your money, and your life
    • Attend the wedding, be cordial, and bring a small gift
    • Attend the wedding, and leave as soon as it's over
    • Attend the wedding and the reception, but be as obnoxious as possible and snub those who have snubbed you
    • Attend the wedding, stand up during the ceremony and object to the union, and storm out
    • Other (Please explain in a post)
  2. 2. If you went, would you:

• Politely excuse yourself after brief greetings, it's not classy to be nasty or vindictive even if they've behaved that way toward you
    • Speak at length with anyone willing to talk to you and take as many people out of there with you as you can
    • Be as obnoxious and "in your face" as possible

Lol.. Classic case of a group of narcissistic people who are taught ad hominem as a legitimate art form.. Yeah, Satan already mastered it.

It is really interesting having conversations with people when you know they have some form of inner dialogue going on at the same time wondering if their heads are going to explode or they are going to get possessed like in the exorcist just from being there talking.

I like to throw out little comments referring in veiled terms to "la revolucion", and "the insurrection" just at random points in the conversation. As well as pretending to have a muscle tic once in a while.

I guess that's kind of mean though and I should quit.

Heck, you're almost making me envious that there aren't any TWI still-ins near me! Some of you have such fun winding them up.

I do know some other exTWI folk, not with TWI any more, and some of those are still "standing on the truth" they had learned. We're friends. I appreciate they aren't being nasty about it, just set in their views, and I'm not nasty back. But there are areas of conversation that need to be skated round - where we have to agree to differ. No point in picking a fight unnecessarily.

Heck, you're almost making me envious that there aren't any TWI still-ins near me! Some of you have such fun winding them up.

I do know some other exTWI folk, not with TWI any more, and some of those are still "standing on the truth" they had learned. We're friends. I appreciate they aren't being nasty about it, just set in their views, and I'm not nasty back. But there are areas of conversation that need to be skated round - where we have to agree to differ. No point in picking a fight unnecessarily.

I know of quite a few folks who have left TWI but still believe a variety of things they learned there. Rather an ecclectic sort, though, syncretic, really. We simply agree to disagree, and we respect the other's rights to their own beliefs. Like regular old catholic and protestant friends from the neighborhood where I grew up. We didn't care what the other person believed about God or where they did or did not worship. We just enjoyed hanging out with one another and playing Kick the Can till the street lights came on :)

• 4 weeks later...

I switched the answers, OTHER for me:

I would show up for the wedding a week early. Pitch a tent, get some bug spray a sleeping bag, and camp out. Eat fast food and granola all day then go swim in that little lake. Go to the basketball court at night and smoke some weed and then go eat more fast food.

Offer to help set stuff up at the wedding for free all week. Be the first to SIT and interpret, be the first to pray. SIT every single second I am not talking to someone, and eventually get good enough at SIT's that I can even SIT while talking to someone, and listening to what they say. Which would probably make my answers better because it's basically like god answering them.

AS for you:

I don't really know what you should do. It's so hard for me to understand what others have been through. But Im sure u will make the best choice for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent post, Catcup! Given all the circumstances I think you are making the right decision.

A few years ago, when the TWI-ites started re-opening their doors to the likes of us outcasts, and acting all nicey-nicey like nothing every happened, I was informed that old HQ friends would love to hear from me... and I thought, "Oh really? Well, good then, they know exactly where I live and how to look me up if they are so excited to get back in touch." --- For many of the same reasons you mentioned, I chose not to be the one to instigate contact, but felt that if they were sincere they would reach out and contact me. --- They never have. And I'm neither surprised or saddened by that fact.

• 6 years later...
On 12/22/2010 at 8:11 PM, Oakspear said:

In my opinion, the reason that you attend a wedding ceremony and/or reception is to rejoice with and support the people who are getting married. It should have nothing to do with ones support for or agreement with their religious faith or ones personal opinion of the officiant or other guests.

My ex-wife recently refused to attend the wedding of our son because she disapproved of the officiant (me) - I'm sure that she felt that she stood on principle but she did great harm to her relationship with our son.

How sad for your son!