GreaseSpot Cafe

the victoids' *ministry(?)*

Ham

quote:

Today, and basically since before the end of the first century, SIT has been replaced by creeds and nonbiblical doctrines like the trinity.

Speaking in tongues has not been replaced by creeds and nonbiblical doctrines. What does that even mean? It sounds like a real educated statement, though. It is also a misnomer that the Gospel of Christ went to "Hell in a handbasket" after the First Century Church. There have been great men and women who took real stands for the true God in later years all through history. Unfortunately you don't get much help from the historians and many churches spout the same drivel without really knowing the facts. By the way, what is wrong with a creed? TWI would lead you to think that no one really walked with God outside of people in TWI or the First Century Church. Nonsense.

quote: Pentecostals didn't make SIT easy, practical, OR harmless. Their people who SITd had to roll around on the floor, handle snakes, throw hymnals in the air, and other self demeaning stuff. Not so pfal grads. VPs ministry proved that anyone could SIT without having to act like an idiot.

You are stereotyping. Not all Pentacostals conducted or conduct themselves this way. You're implying that SIT wasn't "normalized" until VP. That's just not true. I'm not neccessarily hailing the Pentsies. I'm just saying there were others prior to the Wierwille who taught and believed in speaking in tongues. Doubtless there is some confusion in the ranks. Not so much today as there was, say, 40 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, I think Oral Roberts wrote a book on speaking in tongues in 1968. I think it was called, The Holy Spirit and You. So, no, VP wasn't a pioneer. Oral might have been a pioneer, but I'm not so sure about that either.

Edited by Broken Arrow

quote: I was thinking more about that if things didn't happen in a certain way, it was often considered "off", or even "devilish" in TWI. Case in point: A person came to a twig one time who was African American. He liked to say "amen", and, "Uh huh", a lot during the teaching. He also said other things like, "Preach it! Preach it!" We thought the guy was possessed and discouraged him from doing this. I find out decades later this type of behavior is fairly common in many African American churches

We got a black guy in the fellowship I go to. Great guy. Been around for at least a decade. He went to a fellowship for a different spinoff and he always ends his prayers with "in Jesus' name, amen". One of those guys called him a "Jesus boy", said he wasn't ready for the foundational class yet. Huh? IMO, God knows which "Jesus" he's talking about.

Another thing. There's a difference between someone having a devil spirit and someone just repeating a chain of sentences that habitually formed in their mind years earlier. How many times do you suppose an individual was deemed "possessed" because he/she said something out of habit like that?

I was raised in a non Christian home. I went to a church that was originally Baptist, but morphed into liberal/religious. Most of their ministers were from the U of Chicago Divinity School. It's called Fountain Street Church if you want to look it up. But during 8th grade we spent half the school year going to other churches around the city; Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Reformed, and also True Light Baptist Church, an all black church. We went there in late April of 1968, less than one month after MLK was killed. We were not VIPs by any means; we were snot nosed 13 year old upper middle class white boys. They treated us like we were angels or something. They let us sit in the front several rows. They were nice to us. The service was LOUD. I sang the hymns the best I could, although their choir was so loud I couldn't hear myself sing. It wasn't quite as intense as the church scenes in the Blues Bros. movies, but almost.

Now, I suppose it is possible that spirits could influence a scene like that, but that whole service felt really good. If I was going to join a church based on atmosphere, that one would get my vote. The Reformed church we went to reluctantly let us sit way up in the balcony.

quote: I was thinking more about that if things didn't happen in a certain way, it was often considered "off", or even "devilish" in TWI. Case in point: A person came to a twig one time who was African American. He liked to say "amen", and, "Uh huh", a lot during the teaching. He also said other things like, "Preach it! Preach it!" We thought the guy was possessed and discouraged him from doing this. I find out decades later this type of behavior is fairly common in many African American churches

We got a black guy in the fellowship I go to. Great guy. Been around for at least a decade. He went to a fellowship for a different spinoff and he always ends his prayers with "in Jesus' name, amen". One of those guys called him a "Jesus boy", said he wasn't ready for the foundational class yet. Huh? IMO, God knows which "Jesus" he's talking about.

Another thing. There's a difference between someone having a devil spirit and someone just repeating a chain of sentences that habitually formed in their mind years earlier. How many times do you suppose an individual was deemed "possessed" because he/she said something out of habit like that?

I was raised in a non Christian home. I went to a church that was originally Baptist, but morphed into liberal/religious. Most of their ministers were from the U of Chicago Divinity School. It's called Fountain Street Church if you want to look it up. But during 8th grade we spent half the school year going to other churches around the city; Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Reformed, and also True Light Baptist Church, an all black church. We went there in late April of 1968, less than one month after MLK was killed. We were not VIPs by any means; we were snot nosed 13 year old upper middle class white boys. They treated us like we were angels or something. They let us sit in the front several rows. They were nice to us. The service was LOUD. I sang the hymns the best I could, although their choir was so loud I couldn't hear myself sing. It wasn't quite as intense as the church scenes in the Blues Bros. movies, but almost.

Now, I suppose it is possible that spirits could influence a scene like that, but that whole service felt really good. If I was going to join a church based on atmosphere, that one would get my vote. The Reformed church we went to reluctantly let us sit way up in the balcony.

Cool story!

In the session called Living Victoriously in God's peace, VP said he got a phone call immediately before coming on stage that really teed him off. His solution? "I waited until I got a sober thought, then SITd like crazy. It still works, baby!" That is practical.
no, that's a miracle.... he got a sober thought.... lol

One of those guys called him a "Jesus boy", said he wasn't ready for the foundational class yet. Huh? IMO, God knows which "Jesus" he's talking about.

The real question is which one did VP preach, what Jesus was he talking about?

For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

We sure did put up with it easily enough.

quote:

Those of us who are born again have both fruit of the spirit AND works of the flesh. We will get no rewards (inheritance) for works of the flesh (vain repetitions, church attendance, abstination from vice, community service, and all the things that some religious people do to show themselves godly),

Well, this may come as as shock to you. There are actually people who abstain from vices and perform community services, not because they seek to show themselves Godly or to reap rewards, but, because they have a desire to do the right thing and to help their fellow man. Quite a foreign concept in the land of Wayville.

Edited by waysider

Waysider, you cite a University of Pennsylvania study of which there were only 5 participants and you point to that as proof that speaking in tongues isn't authentic. 5 participants is not a large enough study group for one to draw conclusions, we've discussed this before. Even 100 people isn't a large enough study group. You need about 1000 or more for your results to be conclusive.

What else do you have besides that study?

Actually, there is a huge volume of information relating to studies of glossolalia available on-line. Because the approach taken is usually from a non-emotional stance, much of it is quite cut and dry. You don't really need much more than a few key-words to find most of it. HERE is one example. There is another study that was done involving about 990 subjects, which concluded that glossolalia is not related to mental illness, as had previously been suggested.. I'll see if I can still find that one and post it if and when I can.

MORE

As Pentecostalism expanded in the 20th century and attracted the attention of the wider world, psychologists initially thought of glossolalia in pathological terms, thinking that it was caused by mental illness. In 1927 George Cutten described speakers in tongues as people of low mental abilities.

This explanation was effectively refuted in 1969 by a team from the University of Minnesota, who conducted an extensive study covering the United States, Mexico, Haiti and Colombia; they reached practitioners among Pentecostals, other Protestant groups, and Roman Catholics. Cutten's contentions concerning psychopathology, quoted and re-quoted through the years, have taken on an aura of fact among non-Pentecostal churchmen who are critical of the movement. His assumption that glossolalia is linked to schizophrenia and hysteria has not been supported by any empirical evidence. Subsequently, a 2003 statistical study in the religious journal Pastoral Psychology concluded that, among the 991 male evangelical clergy sampled, glossolalia was associated with stable extroversion, and contrary to some theories, completely unrelated to psychopathology.

Edited by waysider

Which category does vpw & co. fall in? ......Works of the flesh (Gal. 5:19-21) OR fruit of the spirit (Gal. 5:22,23). Paul spoke these truths as well, right?

Those of us who are born again have both fruit of the spirit AND works of the flesh. We will get no rewards (inheritance) for works of the flesh (vain repetitions, church attendance, abstination from vice, community service, and all the things that some religious people do to show themselves godly), but for listening to God's still small voice and ministering grace to the hearers and being the kind of Christian that others want to be like and be around, that's part of the fruit of the spirit. We've all been that person.

johniam.......two things.

1) works of the flesh......adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like

Interesting, how you go attempt to deflect to church attendance and community service as you show a disdain for "religious people."

2) BUT.......the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace,...

Remember in that vaunted pfal class where wierwille highlights the word "but".... remember? "But" sets in contrast that which precedes with that which follows....it doesn't co-exist with it. Johniam, it is surprising how you seem to esteem pfal, yet cannot follow what was taught. You can't have it both ways: esteem wierwille and disregard his teachings.

Actually, there is a huge volume of information relating to studies of glossolalia available on-line. Because the approach taken is usually from a non-emotional stance, much of it is quite cut and dry. You don't really need much more than a few key-words to find most of it. HERE is one example. There is another study that was done involving about 990 subjects, which concluded that glossolalia is not related to mental illness, as had previously been suggested.. I'll see if I can still find that one and post it if and when I can.

MORE

As Pentecostalism expanded in the 20th century and attracted the attention of the wider world, psychologists initially thought of glossolalia in pathological terms, thinking that it was caused by mental illness. In 1927 George Cutten described speakers in tongues as people of low mental abilities.

This explanation was effectively refuted in 1969 by a team from the University of Minnesota, who conducted an extensive study covering the United States, Mexico, Haiti and Colombia; they reached practitioners among Pentecostals, other Protestant groups, and Roman Catholics. Cutten's contentions concerning psychopathology, quoted and re-quoted through the years, have taken on an aura of fact among non-Pentecostal churchmen who are critical of the movement. His assumption that glossolalia is linked to schizophrenia and hysteria has not been supported by any empirical evidence. Subsequently, a 2003 statistical study in the religious journal Pastoral Psychology concluded that, among the 991 male evangelical clergy sampled, glossolalia was associated with stable extroversion, and contrary to some theories, completely unrelated to psychopathology.

Thank you. I think you've given me enough to get started, I'll check it out.

So, then, what if there really is such a thing as speaking in tongues but the stuff VPW sold us is fake? Would that make you feel betrayed?

Personally no, not at this point. I wouldn't even be surprised. I think it's because I've been out from under his "ministry" for so long. The stuff I believe today isn't a result of TWI teaching. Tongues to me isn't a crucial doctrine. If I get to the end of the line and find out I'm wrong about my belief in tongues, I'll just go, "oops!" My speaking in tongues and my belief therein doesn't really infringe on other people unless I do it their front room when they're trying to sleep or something. My feeling of betrayal came when the realities of his sexual exploits came to light.

quote: no, that's a miracle.... he got a sober thought.... lol

I just KNEW somebody was going to have fun with that one.

quote: So, then, what if there really is such a thing as speaking in tongues but the stuff VPW sold us is fake? Would that make you feel betrayed?

So what if c-a-t really spells dog? Makes as much sense.

quote:

Remember in that vaunted pfal class where wierwille highlights the word "but".... remember? "But" sets in contrast that which precedes with that which follows....it doesn't co-exist with it. Johniam, it is surprising how you seem to esteem pfal, yet cannot follow what was taught. You can't have it both ways: esteem wierwille and disregard his teachings.

Doesn't coexist? Yes, it does.

James 3:8-10 - but the tongue can no man tame, it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison Therewith bless we God, even the Father, and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing...

Rom 7:14,15 - For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do, I allow not, for what I would, that I do not, but what I hate, that do I

VP said of senses faith that it does everything except act on the word. The word 'but' truly sets in contrast the works of the flesh with the fruit of the spirit, yet both exist "under the same roof" in all of us.

Rom 7:22-25 - For I delight in the law of God after the inward man, But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin, which is in my members. O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind, I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Do you know how we serve the law of sin with our flesh? We die. If you serve something, then you are paid wages, right? The wages of sin is....death. As I said, this is as good as it gets in this life; the body of Christ. Imperfect people worshipping a perfect God. Difficult? Wretched? Yes, but in this life, it's as good as it gets.

I issue da "speak in (non) tongues challenge".

no kidding. Try going.. a week. No tongues. Consciously. Nada.. zilch..

and see if the world goes to hell in a handbasket..

devils run amok..

"sonship" is challenged..

"god" gets ....ed off..

prayers turned down like yesterday's doughnuts..

:biglaugh:

or cheap stale cheeseburgers..

"So what if c-a-t really spells dog? Makes as much sense."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what if the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie? Makes as much sense.

No, actually, John, it makes no sense.

"VP said of senses faith that it does everything except act on the word."

What does that even mean? Can you explain it in your own words?

(Please don't start your explanation with "VP said". I want to know what JOHN says.)

VP said of senses faith that it does everything except act on the word. The word 'but' truly sets in contrast the works of the flesh with the fruit of the spirit, yet both exist "under the same roof" in all of us.

why do *we* even CARE what vp said?

and why is it he only "manifested" fruit of da spirit(?) only when he was in front of a damned CAMERA?

Just a thought.

Despite the turmoil, the confusion, the craziness in this life, somehow.. maybe it's just because I'm nuts. Maybe that's it.. I can live with that..

despite the utter tons of .... I have to deal with.. I can always look at the little bit of light I have and have some peace..

others, and I think da victoid was among them, don't have that luxury..

The word 'but' truly sets in contrast the works of the flesh with the fruit of the spirit, yet both exist "under the same roof" in all of us.

I disagree.

entirely..

*some of us* have the capacity to set our animal instincts aside, for a few moments..

Edited by Ham

I issue da "speak in (non) tongues challenge".

no kidding. Try going.. a week. No tongues. Consciously. Nada.. zilch..

and see if the world goes to hell in a handbasket..

devils run amok..

"sonship" is challenged..

"god" gets ....ed off..

prayers turned down like yesterday's doughnuts..

or cheap stale cheeseburgers..

Oh, I've taken that challenge. (and then some.)

What happens?

Well, for starters, you initially feel guilty. Must be trippin' out or somethin'. What if Gawd tries to talk to me? I won't be able to hear Him. How will I be able to pray for stuff? (Gawd doesn't understand the more mundane languages, like English and such, ya know?) And what about that inner spirit that needs me to keep feeding it? Won't it start to suffer from malnutrition if I deprive it of spiritual mashed potatoes? I mean, I know it's supposed to be completely, completely, complete already but maybe it can still become more completer.

And then, something interesting happens. You realize that speaking in tongues seems to have been acting as some sort of fuel on the fire of self delusion. You start to feel like you are waking up from a dream. Things take on a new perspective. And the whole world doesn't collapse around you with a thundering crash.

But, of course, I'm probably just a devil spirit trying to trick you. Yeah, that's it. Can't take the chance. Just too risky.

I dunno.

the vicster was "square". In the old language that is..

yeah.. another reporter in a trench coat.. just another commentator..

another opportunist..

just another moron chasing skirts..

call it what you want..

I really can't figure how anybody can call him GOD..

yeah. Call him God.. quote his words.. praise his name..

it just doesn't "make sense"..

sorry. I was sent to observe..

believe me, I'm trying. to observe, that is.

So, Mr. IAM. you have a kangaroo court of squirrels, ready to pass summary judgement..

do you have any last words here in YOUR defense?

and please don't try the mercaptan defense this time around..

Edited by Ham

ah. Yes. Like Mr. Hammerquist. I "wigged" here once..

some of us will remember it..

I looked the "board" in the face and said....

what was it..

I remember it.

this was it..

"I am no less dysfunctional, than you.."

what does this have to do with greasespot? Everything..

Paw.. God bless him, made me stand in the corner, for a few days..