GreaseSpot Cafe

figpep

waysider

Was this part of "nature's little scrub brushes"?

No, you're thinking of flax seeds.

That was another of those crazy things we did in fellowlaborers.

Although ground fax seeds have proven nutritional value, whole seeds exhibit their value in a rather "different manner".

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/AN01258

cayenne-pepper-pic.jpg

It'll change your life.

SoCrates

:biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh:

oh yeah - now you're talking!!!!!!

it seems like that was the cure-all for anything.

i knew someone who liked cayenne pepper on - - - - - ice cream!

and there was someone in our family corps who put cayenne pepper in their socks - perfect for those long cold nights on bless patrol.

now here's one i'll admit to - i was coming down with something [evidently there was a small hole in my believing hedge of protection] and following the prescription of a disciple of the Guinea Spice - i put some in a gel capsule - and by golly, besides the alarmingly flushed feeling and flaming hot turds - i did start to feel better....now i also hear the red heat may help clear up hemorrhoids .....darn, another hole in my .........ahem....believing hedge of protection.

Yeah, turbinado was all the rage for a while.

And we really must give raw potatoes their proper respect, as well. Eat them like you would an apple. Yum! (not)

oh yeah - i do remember Tonto having that in the cupboard - stuff was delish on hot oatmeal.

i did not remember figpep - but Tonto said she did - she also mentioned postum the coffee substitute - i remember that now - uh uh - give me the real cup of joe anyday

postum.jpg

she also mentioned postum the coffee substitute - i remember that now - uh uh - give me the real cup of joe anyday

I see something like that and I'm reminded of an episode of Major Dad. Gunny, his secretary brought him a cup of decaff.

"I also put in your artificial sweetner and your non-dairy creamer."

He looked at her for a beat and said: "What's the point?"

SoCrates

Oh, the Postum thing. Forgot about that. There was also some kind of chicory stuff we were told was delicious, too. I'm with you, T-Bone; give me a cup of regular Joe and make it strong.

They used to put chicory in regular coffee to cut its bitterness.

SoCrates

Remember liquid lecithin? You were supposed to consume a couple tablespoons a day to increase your state of alertness. Maybe if we had gotten more than 5 hours sleep a night we wouldn't have been so concerned with alertness.

I think I would rather duct tape my eyelids open than drink that swill.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

And sprouts. We must have sprouts, sprouts and more sprouts. Mung beans, alfalfa, lentils, and whatever else. Put 'em on your salad. Put 'em on your ice cream. Put 'em where the sun don't shine.

Yeah---gotta put raisins on everything, too. Especially on your "natural" peanut butter sandwiches.

Good Lord! That's one I forgot all about.

Put wheat germ on anything that isn't moving.

And then all 50 of us would meet every morning at 5:30 in one of the basements. One spark, at the wrong moment, could have blown us all clear into next Thursday.

• Upvote 1