GreaseSpot Cafe

figpep

waysider

Millet! How did I forget that one? There is just nothing quite as refreshing, after a long, hot day of work, as a steaming hot lump of millet. Top that off with some wilted lettuce and you've got yourself one mighty satisfying meal.

Sounds like thems good eatin'

SoCrates

Wheat berries. Yes. Who can forget the wheat berries and oat groats. We were supposed to soak them overnight in the refrigerator in a bowl of water. I forgot to do that more times than i care to admit. Then I would start them boiling before we left for our morning run. Boy. There is nothing quite as refreshing to start your day with than a nice hot bowl of rubber ball bearings.

Oh, thanks for reminding me about the carob. It tastes sooooooo much better than real chocolate. Sort of reminds me of what it might taste like to eat an old gym sock.

maybe you all should do commercials on SNL, which I am viewing live right now :biglaugh::rolleyes::eusa_clap::anim-smile:

Now, one thing we ate that I actually liked was something called apple-licious. I don't remember exactly how we made it. The basic idea, though, was to mix raw steel cut oats with apple sauce, apple juice, apple chunks, nuts and raisins in a big old bowl and chill overnight in the fridge. I don't suppose it would be a good idea anymore, though, to eat oats without first cooking

How about this one. Unbaked apple cookies. Rolled in sunflower seed meal before sticking in the fridge to chill. Doesn't that just sound swell?

Well, we made our own for a while. Then we broke down and opted for the Dannon with the fruit on the bottom. I remember we used to use yogurt in place of something else. Sour cream, maybe? I was never a supper cook.

Well, it is sour milk.

I had one time when I was working for a supermarket chain a fellow employee came up to me and inquired about some of the out of date dairy products they had priced to move.

"You know more about this stuff than I do," he said holding up a yogurt package. "Its past date, is it still good?"

I told him that usually you had a week fudge factor from the date on the package, I told him: "Besides, its sour milk, what more could happen to it?"

SoCrates

I found millet enjoyable and tasty! Still eat it from time to time.

Did someone say sorghum?

Figpep was to me a vile beverage. It can be used added to other stuff and it's reasonable. By it's alonesome, smelly and blarghy.

Peeps though - Breakfast o' champions baby.

post-410-081202300 1298253751_thumb.jpg

Oh, here's another crazy fad. We weren't allowed to have pets of any sort, so we went to

the Wayside Truck Stop and brought 624146496_a02d6b43ea.jpg little gel caps that had expanding sponges in the shape of animals in them. Then we went through a phase where it seemed like everyone had a "pet" jade-plant-crassula.jpg. I gotta tell ya. there is nothing quite so relaxing as tossing around the old frisbee with your very own pet jade plant.

Well I'll be danged! Now I do remember a gum incident. There was a particular kind of gum that had a liquid center. If you bit into it, it "exploded". I think it was Sunesis' sister who called it "cum gum"....Can I say that here?

This ring anything in your belfry?

win-pictures-freshen-up-gum.jpg?w=379&h=406

SoCrates

Just think. If Cory, Chuck and Danny had taken the PFAL class, we might be watching youtubes of Three Jade Plant Night.

Okay........somebody's gotta say it.

Healthy eating is one thing.....proper exercise is another...

But there ain't nothing like....a colon cleanse.

Oh boy, I should have known somebody would "flush" that one out.

Oh, here's another crazy fad. We weren't allowed to have pets of any sort, so we went to

the Wayside Truck Stop and brought little gel caps that had expanding sponges in the shape of animals in them. Then we went through a phase where it seemed like everyone had a "pet" . I gotta tell ya. there is nothing quite so relaxing as tossing around the old frisbee with your very own pet jade plant.

Too bad it wasn't a little later. You could have gotten one of these:

zhengchang$520164159.jpg

SoCrates

Somebody in the first or second Corps got the idea that it might be fun to "run down the road and back". Get a little fresh air. Start the day with a little physical stimulus. Next thing you know, there's a whole survival program where people are hitch-hiking cross country, getting raped, run over by semi trucks, cutting their own toes off due to frost bite and so on. Leave it to The Way to take something innocuous and turn it into a nightmare.

At least in fellow laborers, we got to "run with the cows" Not as cool as running with the bulls but still.....

Edited by waysider

Oh, the Postum thing. Forgot about that. There was also some kind of chicory stuff we were told was delicious, too. I'm with you, T-Bone; give me a cup of regular Joe and make it strong.

Was it spiked with drambuie?

How was this for an ice cream topping?

Kretschmer-WheatGerm-OriginalToasted-Detail.sflb.jpg

SoCrates

Blasphemy!

Well I'll be danged! Now I do remember a gum incident. There was a particular kind of gum that had a liquid center. If you bit into it, it "exploded". I think it was Sunesis' sister who called it "cum gum"....Can I say that here?

NO! :nono5:

the Wayside Truck Stop and brought 624146496_a02d6b43ea.jpg little gel caps that had expanding sponges in the shape of animals in them. Then we went through a phase where it seemed like everyone had a "pet" jade-plant-crassula.jpg. I gotta tell ya. there is nothing quite so relaxing as tossing around the old frisbee with your very own pet jade plant.

Definitely a cry for help.

hermes-carbon-fiber-briefcase.jpg

Need I say more?

Mission Impossible. Good Evening Mister Phelps. If you are caught by the Devil, TWI will disavowed your WOW mission. Good luck Jim. :confused::biglaugh::rolleyes::eusa_clap:

re: food, Welcome to Chopped. I am Ted Allen. Chefs, these are your mystery ingedients to create appetizer, main course, and dessert. You must use all the ingredients in some way within 30 minutes. Judges are Grace Bliss, Dorothy Owens, Chris Geer, Craig Martindale, and Victor Paul Wierwille. None are chefs , resturanteurs, nor professional food critics. You will be judged on taste, appearance, and creativity(?). If your dish fails, you will be chopped aka as marked and avoided. and your time begins now. Been watching way too much Food Network again

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

quote: Wheat berries. Yes. Who can forget the wheat berries and oat groats

Whoa! What are oat groats? I'm particularly interested in the word 'groats'. I still have a cassette copy of Firesign Theatre's masterpiece 'Don't crush the dwarf, hand me the pliers' which has on it what initially sounds like a church service, but turns out to be the worship of food. Funny stuff. But this preacher is always talking about hot buttered groat clusters. He hands them through the TV to this guy who gets his salvation through food. It's bizarre. But what is a groat? I remember a Dick Groat who played shortstop for the 1960 Pirates and for the 1964 Cardinals, but just curious.

Speaking of wheat berries anybody remember in fall of 1979 how we were supposedly in danger of the illuminati taking over the country and each twig was supposed to get a 6 month supply of food? Ours included rolled oats and wheat berries, which one of those guys still has!!!!!!