GreaseSpot Cafe

figpep

waysider

what a fun thread! memories are coming back now....yeah i remember the colon cleanse - had to do something similar to that not too long ago for a colonoscopy prep - oh the joys of getting old....

never was crazy about the taste of wheat germ

how about kelp seasoning

i remember a Grace Bliss Cook Book

then there's Deaf Smith Peanut Butter - kinda dry, cakey consistency with the oil on the top.almost choked to death on a scoop of that i tried to woof down while working in the kitchen at Rome City campus.....then it would have been Death Smith Peanut Butter....ba dum bum.

Knowles breathing techniques - neat tricks to revitalize yourself during a long class

.....yeah i remember Tonto making yogurt and ice cream....it was always puzzling to me that you needed yogurt culture to make yogurt

Knowles breathing techniques - neat tricks to revitalize yourself during a long class

Knowles breathing........... :biglaugh:

Everytime I hear of knowles breathing.....I associate Mich@el Gud0rf as "the instructor" on these techniques and guru of the benefits.

He was my roommate at hq.........and took LONG NAPS EVERYDAY.

He now has his OWN leadership training......

Click Here

And of course Waysider remembers the familia we were given every week in gallon bags. This happy mixture contained a number of less savory ingredients mentioned above, specifically steel cut oats and lots of healthful flax seeds and raisins. If someone on the "manna" food crew for a particular week was more inventive (and could get away with it) it might contain almonds, walnuts, cinnamon or even once or twice coconut. My personal suggestion would have been chocolate chips. I don't think carob would have been as good. I am surprised no one thought to include mung bean sprouts in the mix.

I seem to remember that at one point raspberry leaf tea was highly recommended for pregnant women, but have no personal experience with that.

Looking back, I think if we had been better fed we might have been less disgruntled and actually got more work done in the garden or wherever we were assigned. It's possible to cook and consume healthful, nutritious food that doesn't taste like it was fished out of the compost bin. I do it every day. Why didn't they use real seasonings, like garlic and rosemary, or cumin or anything but kelp or some kind of other weird stuff?

To clarify: "Manna" was the name of the food program for Fellow Laborers of Ohio. We were not surprised to learn the translation of the word "manna" is "What Is It?"

We asked that twice a day.

I seem to remember that at one point raspberry leaf tea was highly recommended for pregnant women, but have no personal experience with that.

I am not a woman, nor do I play one on T.V. Both my first wife and sister, however, swore by raspberry leaf tea during their pregnancies. Raspberry leaf tea does not typically induce labor. My sister was a bit overdue. She drank a cup of the tea and went into labor within a few minutes. She doesn't think the tea caused the labor but she thinks the tea helped to restore a healthy "balance" in her body so that she could go into labor. My first wife simply said raspberry leaf tea helped her feel better overall.

Now it is time again where East meets West here in Kitchen Stadium. I can imadine Mark Dacacos introducing the Iron Chefs to these secret ingedients. Womder how Bobby Flay and company would have been "creative"? :smilie_kool_aid::anim-smile::biglaugh::confused::eusa_clap:

• Upvote 1

for a secong thought you were talking about Highlander, lol.

When I was in rez (early 90s) it was kelp with everything.

Mealtime shakers on the table: salt, pepper, kelp. Everything had to have a sprinkle of kelp.

Oh. And fertile eggs. There was a craze for fertile eggs - because they had "life" in them. Gruesome.

You also had to have water with a meal - never tea or coffee which "interfered with digestion" (also costs more than plain tap water).

But sometimes (some months) you didn't have to have water with a meal or within 1/2 hour of a meal - because that interfered with digestion.

Never heard of half the things mentioned on this thread.

Postum? Figpep? Wheat berries?

Chicory was put in coffee to stretch the coffee. Wartime remedy when it was hard to get coffee.

....I seem to remember that at one point raspberry leaf tea was highly recommended for pregnant women, but have no personal experience with that....

....Both my first wife and sister, however, swore by raspberry leaf tea during their pregnancies. Raspberry leaf tea does not typically induce labor. My sister was a bit overdue. She drank a cup of the tea and went into labor within a few minutes. She doesn't think the tea caused the labor but she thinks the tea helped to restore a healthy "balance" in her body so that she could go into labor. My first wife simply said raspberry leaf tea helped her feel better overall.

i don't know much about raspberry leaf tea.....but let me tell you something about fenugreek tea. My wife heard that it helped in baby delivery. Not sure if that had anything to do with it - but lemme tell ya - at the birthing center - from start to finish - it seems like our daughter shot out of Tonto like greased lightning!

• 6 years later...
On 2/20/2011 at 9:30 PM, waysider said:

Somebody in the first or second Corps got the idea that it might be fun to "run down the road and back". Get a little fresh air. Start the day with a little physical stimulus. Next thing you know, there's a whole survival program where people are hitch-hiking cross country, getting raped, run over by semi trucks, cutting their own toes off due to frost bite and so on. Leave it to The Way to take something innocuous and turn it into a nightmare.

At least in fellow laborers, we got to "run with the cows" Not as cool as running with the bulls but still.....

Way, I grew up on a farm.  Milking Cows was not a lot of fun, but it had to be done twice a day.

Waysider! Knock it off or I'll flatulate on you!

Seriously, I still get millet occasionally. Think of it as a bland carrier for more important stuff like cheese, garlic, onion, etc.

How about powdered kelp?

My mother made wilted lettuce when I was a kid. I hated it then and I hate it now. I do sautee greens occasionally, kale to be exact. However, I fry bacon first, then sautee onions and garlic in the bacon fat, then add the kale until slightly wilted, stirring to be sure it gets coated with bacon grease, and then crumble the bacon on top.

Not a familia treat, but it beats wilted lettuce, which I wouldn't feed to a hog.

Whatever makes you happy! Costco sold packages of dried seaweed, rice paper thing, as a snack. It was popular with some of the Asian members. I liked it but most Westerners thought it was awful, especially because it was green, and as Americans, we must consume salt, sugar and fat in large amounts to keep our generous figures! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Watered Garden said:

Whatever makes you happy! Costco sold packages of dried seaweed, rice paper thing, as a snack. It was popular with some of the Asian members. I liked it but most Westerners thought it was awful, especially because it was green, and as Americans, we must consume salt, sugar and fat in large amounts to keep our generous figures! :rolleyes:

WG, you are so funny!!  I've eaten Dried Seeweed before, and loved it.  God forbid we Americans, eat healthy food.  I wouldn't want to put Mickey D, Taco Bell, and other fast food places out of business. Nosireeee!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2011 at 10:38 AM, skyrider said:

Knowles breathing........... :biglaugh:

Everytime I hear of knowles breathing.....I associate Mich@el Gud0rf as "the instructor" on these techniques and guru of the benefits.

He was my roommate at hq.........and took LONG NAPS EVERYDAY.

He now has his OWN leadership training......

Click Here

Sky, my goodness!  He claims to run his classes "from full authority of God". My, did God come, and personally tell him to run his classes?? Sky, I do not know this man, but some of his classes remind me of classes I took from TWI. Personally, I am not interested in whatever he is selling.