GreaseSpot Cafe

confronting lcm

Bolshevik

Cara, LCM was "spiritually angry." That's why the face meltings.

He was always spiritually angry.

Could be fun when relaxed, but you were always walking on eggshells in case that spiritual anger erupted again.

Yeah, I bet he has less spiritual anger or even ordinary human anger, in Home Depot or wherever he found a job. Wouldn't last long with the temper tantrums.

He forgot all about this, or deemed it irrrelevant:

2 But even after that we had suffered before , and were shamefully entreated , as ye know , at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention. 3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile: 4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak ; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts. 5 For neither at any time used we flattering words , as ye know , nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness: 6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome , as the apostles of Christ. 7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: 8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us. 9 For ye remember , brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God. 10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe : 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you , as a father doth his children, 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

Gentle. Comfort. Yeah right.

These scriptures were also used to justify the yelling sessions:

1 Corinthians 3:2 KJV

• I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Hebrews 5:12 KJV

• For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

We were spiritually mature enough not to need milk and could endure the yelling sessions due to our maturity. He wasn't going to soft-soap (or soft-milk) us. Not going to treat us nicely. We should be able to handle it. After all - we were the elite. We were Corps.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! :CUSSING:

Edited by Twinky

Cara, LCM was "spiritually angry." That's why the face meltings.

He was always spiritually angry.

Could be fun when relaxed, but you were always walking on eggshells in case that spiritual anger erupted again.

Yeah, I bet he has less spiritual anger or even ordinary human anger, in Home Depot or wherever he found a job. Wouldn't last long with the temper tantrums.

And, naturally, being the great MOG he was, he couldn't disern between being spiritual angry and being possesed by a spirit of anger.

SoCrates

And, naturally, being the great MOG he was, he couldn't disern between being spiritual angry and being possesed by a spirit of anger.

SoCrates

I remember them using Jesus and the money changers to justify some of these tirades. Sad really. They kind of missed the boat on why He was so angry.

Spiritual anger? What is that? It is an evil excuse for being a big bully.

I remember them using Jesus and the money changers to justify some of these tirades. Sad really. They kind of missed the boat on why He was so angry.

Spiritual anger? What is that? It is an evil excuse for being a big bully.

Good question, Geisha. What the heck is spiritual anger supposed to be? Anger is anger, and there ain't nothing spiritual about it. I wonder if VPW chose LCM in part because he got angry so easily and would help keep the lid on things by shouting down anyone who talked out of school? Didn't quite work out that way, did it.

(snip)

Just in case someone has an answer at their fingertips, I have another question: I've been reading and reading (still have loads to wade through) and remember that Wordwolf mentioned somewhere that he and Raf (I think) had written to C. Gee[ about the idea of what God knows, his foreknowledge - I've tried searching for this subject and could be looking in the wrong place but wonder if this was actually directly discussed, the different ideas about it. I'll keep looking anyway and thanks to all for the interesting topics.

You remember correctly. We were responding to a position he held at the time. (I don't know what his

current position is.) He didn't use the term, but it was what's called "Openness Theology"

in Christian circles (or "Open Theism".) He stated it with a presentation on Genesis 3 he titled

"A Pivot Point in History." We both concluded that his presentation had a number of fundamental errors

in it, and addressed each in turn. We never intended to make its details public, so it was never

presented as such on the GSC. That having been said, there were some interesting ideas that WERE

discussed on a thread here. Personally, I think one of the thread's posters behaved poorly and kept

interrupting the discussion, but we had an interesting discussion around him, and addressed some

issues that the original paper never touched on.

The thread was called "What does God know?"

Edited by WordWolf

with apologies to Chris Tomlin: How great was LCM, sing with me, how great was the MOG, and all the world will see how great, how great was he. Name above all cursing. naw just can't do it. :biglaugh:

screaming, yelling, ranting, all that yelling indeed. How great is King Okie, oh sing with me, how crazy was he, and all the world will see, how stupid, trying to be like VP. :evildenk: maybe a new song for Sing Along The Way :eusa_clap:

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

screaming, yelling, ranting, all that yelling indeed. How great is King Okie, oh sing with me, how crazy was he, and all the world will see, how stupid, trying to be like VP. :evildenk: maybe a new song for Sing Along The Way :eusa_clap:

loyboy was a dufus...a loud mouthed arrogant dufus...he wasn't only a cheapshot buyy, he also believed that every random thought that came into his meaty head was God speaking to him...and folks, that makes him mentally ill in my book. He's damn lucky he didn't end up in a sraight jacket doing the thorazine shuffle

luckily i missed most of martindale's insane years

but he was starting to lean that way when i knew him and so was tom jenkinson and chris geer (well he had already gone off the edge in my opinion) and some others

TJ already had his leanings prior to the Corps.

loyboy was a dufus...a loud mouthed arrogant dufus...he wasn't only a cheapshot buyy, he also believed that every random thought that came into his meaty head was God speaking to him...and folks, that makes him mentally ill in my book. He's damn lucky he didn't end up in a sraight jacket doing the thorazine shuffle

Hmm, has anyone seen him for awhile? Maybe he's...over nevermind.

Hello everybody - glad we're all still here. I was never in the Corps but have a question to do with the shouting/facemelting - was it taught that shouting would scare anything devilish away? I think I later heard something like that somewhere. And I remember people in the corps that I liked and admired and who I normally found warm and funny, that some of them could do the shouting bit also, and I wonder if they felt they had to do it.

Yelling and face melting...it was a way for insecure people (such as myself) to feel like they were in charge.

When we were briefly in the FWC in 1993, I began to suspect his rantings and ravings were a symptom of insanity, but pushed that thought away and tried to replace it with "he is soooooo spiritual." One 19th WC woman made it to Gunnison to do the LEAD thing, had a couple of bad asthma attacks and refused to go out into the wilderness, thinking, no doubt, she might have a fatal attack while out there. (My son has asthma and acute attacks are scary as heck).

You would have thought she had committed high treason from his .... fit. He had someone in charge put her up in a motel room until it was time to hitch hike home, since he didn't want the likes of her contaminating the holy grounds of Gunnison. At the Corps Night hookup while that group was off campus learning to rappel, etc, he had a mother-loving raging rant about them and their spiritual weakness and how prideful and so on and so forth, naming this unfortunate woman and detailing her many loathsome sins and shortcomings in microscopically and obscenely exquisite detail.

When they returned the whole group of them had to listen to that Corps Night rage, and I looked in the dining room and she had her head down crying as she listened to what he said about her. Her husband sat next to her, shame-faced at being married to such a loathsome, weak, unspiritual and worthy creature.

Oddly enough, they stuck it out and as far as I know are loyal Wayfers to this very day.

I am so dumb, my unspiritual mind kept saying "why didn't they take her to the nearest ER like anyone else would do with an acute asthma attack?" I mean, I certainly have no in-depth spiritual perception and awareness, but I do know how to treat someone who is having trouble breathing - "scoop and run" it's called. You can pray on the way to the emergency department.

And I guess the big thing about confrontation - I would NEVER let anyone speak about my husband in such a fashion, and I think this woman's husband should have stood up after the tape ended and announced that he was outraged that LCM would speak about his woman, the mother of his children, in such horrible terms. He could have then driven to NK and punched the SOB in his fat ugly nose. But nooooo, if LCM says your spouse is a piece of poo you better agree with it.

If he'd talked that way about Mr. Garden, I would have certainly urged Mr. Garden and the Sprout to get the he11 away from there.

LCM's behavior was inexcusable. Period.

I have been dealing with some serious "facemeltings" at work from someone in a position of authority recently - and I have reached me breaking point. It hit me suddenly last week that this is exactly the same thing I suffered through with twi leadership. And more importantly, I don't have to put up with the abuse just because someone is in a position of authority. Guess I have grown a bit of a backbone since I got out.

I filed a formal complaint with the CEO on Friday.

Growing up in twi I thought yelling and screaming was normal behavior. And I thought taking it was being meek.

Not anymore.

I have been dealing with some serious "facemeltings" at work from someone in a position of authority recently - and I have reached me breaking point. It hit me suddenly last week that this is exactly the same thing I suffered through with twi leadership. And more importantly, I don't have to put up with the abuse just because someone is in a position of authority. Guess I have grown a bit of a backbone since I got out.

I filed a formal complaint with the CEO on Friday.

Growing up in twi I thought yelling and screaming was normal behavior. And I thought taking it was being meek.

Not anymore.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap: JavaJane. There's never an excuse for abuse.

SoCrates

Interesting that this thread, "Confronting LCM" is so named. No-one could really confront the Great Man during his tenure. I honestly don't think he can be unaware of the Cafe and the things that get discussed here. Word gets around! Maybe he lurks...I doubt it though.

But he won't come here and be confronted. Much less apologize.

Both would require rather too much humility. Or, to use his favorite word, "meekness."

No. Not his style at all.

Pulls out pom poms for JJ!

thanks, guys. As one of my cousins said, I need to "channel my inner badass."

I am doing so now. And if they fire me, I'll go litigious on their @$$es.

I've had my share of abuse from the cult I was in, I don't need it from my employer.

You remember correctly. We were responding to a position he held at the time. (I don't know what his

current position is.) He didn't use the term, but it was what's called "Openness Theology"

in Christian circles (or "Open Theism".) He stated it with a presentation on Genesis 3 he titled

"A Pivot Point in History." We both concluded that his presentation had a number of fundamental errors

in it, and addressed each in turn. We never intended to make its details public, so it was never

presented as such on the GSC. That having been said, there were some interesting ideas that WERE

discussed on a thread here. Personally, I think one of the thread's posters behaved poorly and kept

interrupting the discussion, but we had an interesting discussion around him, and addressed some

issues that the original paper never touched on.

The thread was called "What does God know?"

Thank you very much, Wordwolf. I've read it through once (it's currently on p 16 of doctrine threads) and will again - very thoughtful, thought-provoking posts, only one demanding poster, not so bad - and think I might even have notes on an "Open Theology" teaching, not that I knew it was called that. I can picture the atemporal God, who sees both the current me making decisions and the future me with the results, and am certain that I'm the one choosing. I can also picture a benign father, looking on in an entertained way as a mutinous child heads for trouble, knowing he's going to have to do some helping and comforting soon. I don't want to go too far down the imagination road though when there's so much about him already told, think I'd better concentrate on Him, and I appreciate very much that so many verses were brought into the posts.

Congratulations on your fatherhhod!

From Watered Garden

"When they returned the whole group of them had to listen to that Corps Night rage, and I looked in the dining room and she had her head down crying as she listened to what he said about her. Her husband sat next to her, shame-faced at being married to such a loathsome, weak, unspiritual and worthy creature.

Oddly enough, they stuck it out and as far as I know are loyal Wayfers to this very day.

I am so dumb, my unspiritual mind kept saying "why didn't they take her to the nearest ER like anyone else would do with an acute asthma attack?" I mean, I certainly have no in-depth spiritual perception and awareness, but I do know how to treat someone who is having trouble breathing - "scoop and run" it's called. You can pray on the way to the emergency department.

And I guess the big thing about confrontation - I would NEVER let anyone speak about my husband in such a fashion, and I think this woman's husband should have stood up after the tape ended and announced that he was outraged that LCM would speak about his woman, the mother of his children, in such horrible terms. He could have then driven to NK and punched the SOB in his fat ugly nose. But nooooo, if LCM says your spouse is a piece of poo you better agree with it."

Confronting, when nobody else can interrupt whether because of politeness or distance- how brave.

Edited by cara

It humors me that the follower of the Way will on one hand blame LCM for the ministry's current situation . . . but on the other fight for some form of vindication for him . . . (is that stockholm syndrome? I don't know) . . . he still has value

Someone once told me that this "spiritually angry" persona LCM developed was nothing more than a front. They told me in actuality he was a coward (he used a different expression that starts with "chicken" and ends in a word that rhymes with "hit"). He said if confronted he would just avoid the person...maybe not on the phone, but face to face. I dunno, my acquaintance was kind of PO'd about a few things regarding LCM. He's also a pretty big guy.

Someone once told me that this "spiritually angry" persona LCM developed was nothing more than a front. They told me in actuality he was a coward (he used a different expression that starts with "chicken" and ends in a word that rhymes with "hit"). He said if confronted he would just avoid the person...maybe not on the phone, but face to face. I dunno, my acquaintance was kind of PO'd about a few things regarding LCM. He's also a pretty big guy.

Its very possible, BA. People often act the contrary, overcompensating for what they really feel like inside. Anytime you see an overreaction, you should always ask, "What's really going on here?"

As for lcm, he always struck me as being out of his league, way ove rhis head. Scaring people through anger probably made him feel more in control of a situation that he felt was spiraling out of control.

As far as micromanaging, well that just shows a lack of trust in his people. Nobody can do it right but except for him. And if somebody makes a mistake in a situation spiraling out of control, well disaster can occur. So he had to do it all himself.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

I think he was angry all right - but at himself, his wife...maybe VPW.

Couldn't express it to those people so took it out on the Corps, especially the in-rez Corps.

Perhaps LCM was the biggest dupe of all.

But he didn't have to be the biggest prat (I'm being nice) of all.

A lot of bullies back down when stood up to.....when someone calls their bluff.

Edited by geisha779