GreaseSpot Cafe

Tripped Out Christians

tonyzamboni

May I ask why you chose the name SoCrates? I would imagine it holds some significance for you?

It's from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I was always a thinker, a questioner (some people have even said I think to much). One day at work, somebody had commented: "Oh, I forgot, we work with So_crates today."

So I adapted it as my handle. The place holder is to convey the proper pronunciation.

Truth be told, I'm actually more of an Aritotle (reasoning, logic) then a Socrates.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

It's from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I was always a thinker (some people have even said I think to much). One day at work, somebody had commented: "Oh, I forgot, we work with so_crates today."

So I adapted it as my handle. The place holder is to convey the proper pronunciation.

SoCrates

What does being a thinker....which you are...have to do with So_crates? I mean, is that some correlation to the ancient Greek philosopher Socrates?

Edited by geisha779

What does being a thinker....which you are...have to do with So_crates? I mean is that some correlation to the ancient Greek philosopher Socrates?

In Bill and Ted's Exellent Adventure, they went backward in time to get Socrates, the Greek philosopher.

[in Ancient Greece]

Bill: Socrates. Hey, we know that name!

Ted: Yeah! Hey,

[hands Bill the book]

Ted: look him up. Oh, it's under So-crates.

So through the remainder of the movie they call Socrates So_Crates.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

In Bill and Ted's Exellent Adventure, they went backward in time to get Socrates, the Greek philosopher.

[in Ancient Greece]

Bill: Socrates. Hey, we know that name!

Ted: Yeah! Hey,

[hands Bill the book]

Ted: look him up. Oh, it's under So-crates.

So through the remainder of the movie they call Socrates So_Crates.

SoCrates

Well, you ARE a thinking guy....so I am going to leave it up to you to figure out what I am getting at asking you about your name. If Socrates actually was a Greek Philosopher...and a thinker.....and we are fairly confident with some of what we know about him.....the name fits. :)

Well, you ARE a thinking guy....so I am going to leave it up to you to figure out what I am getting at asking you about your name. If Socrates actually was a Greek Philosopher...and a thinker.....and we are fairly confident with some of what we know about him.....the name fits. :)

Let's see:

Through his portrayal in Plato's dialogues, Socrates has become renowned for his contribution to the field of ethics, and it is this Platonic Socrates who also lends his name to the concepts of Socratic irony and the Socratic method, or elenchus. The latter remains a commonly used tool in a wide range of discussions, and is a type of pedagogy in which a series of questions are asked not only to draw individual answers, but also to encourage fundamental insight into the issue at hand.
To illustrate the use of the Socratic method; a series of questions are posed to help a person or group to determine their underlying beliefs and the extent of their knowledge. The Socratic method is a negative method of hypothesis elimination, in that better hypotheses are found by steadily identifying and eliminating those that lead to contradictions. It was designed to force one to examine one's own beliefs and the validity of such beliefs. In fact, Socrates once said, "I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is to question oneself and others."

(source)

SoCrates

Quote: If your not gettting the results you want that means you need to adjust the communication.

Jesus didn't feel the need to adjust HIS communication.

I can see the polarity response is still working.

Didn't he?

I'm sure if you work at it, you'd find plenty of places Christ adjusted his message for the audience. Any parable is an example.

Another the parable of Lazarus in hell (Luke 16:19-30)? According to TWI, we sleep when we die so there's no immediate heaven or hell. The explanation, Saint Vic gave for this parable was that it was adjusted for the audiences beliefs. Apparently they believed in hell. (That should be in Are The Dead Alive Now?)

Further, read Paul in the church epistles, he tells you how he adjusted his speech to his audience (I Cor. 9:20-22):

20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.

23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Now what does he mean when he was among a certain people, he became a certain people. I imagine he took on their manners and customs...and adjusted his speech so they would be most likely to recieve his message

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Socrates:

First of all, Lazarus wasn't in hell; he was in Abraham's bosom. That wasn't an "adjustment" it was a strategy. The Pharisees to whom Jesus was speaking believed in immediate punishments and rewards after death. Jesus wasn't addressing their beliefs about the after life, he was addressing their covetousness (v.14). Here, he was humoring them (answering fools according to their folly), but in other places, like Matt. 23, he pulled no punches.

If you are speaking something you believe is absolute truth, you SHOULDN'T water it down or try to appease anyone.

Waysider:

Do I HAVE to be Jesus?

No, you don't have to be Jesus. But, you are saying that, because Jesus didn't adjust his communication, you don't need to either. However, as you so conveniently pointed out, he actually DID adjust his communication as the situation warranted.

Socrates:

First of all, Lazarus wasn't in hell; he was in Abraham's bosom. That wasn't an "adjustment" it was a strategy. The Pharisees to whom Jesus was speaking believed in immediate punishments and rewards after death. Jesus wasn't addressing their beliefs about the after life, he was addressing their covetousness (v.14). Here, he was humoring them (answering fools according to their folly), but in other places, like Matt. 23, he pulled no punches.

If you are speaking something you believe is absolute truth, you SHOULDN'T water it down or try to appease anyone.

Strategy, adjustment. Potato, poetatoe. Its all the same.

I don't know if you realize how much your polarity response is damaging your credibility. Just in this thread:

Socrates, you don't have a clue what my "chosen belief system" is. I was in twi for 18 years and I never DID buy that "it's your believing" crap. Somebody told me that Vince Finnegan's dad died in a construction accident. The person said "that's where his believing was at".

Then a few posts later:

quote: Consider what the ministry told us:

•This is the absolute truth

•Only we have it

•We've reached our conclusions through extensive research

•This works with a mathematical exactness and a scientific percision

•You have to have faith that the things we tell you are true.

•If its not working for you its because you don't have enough faith

You must've been hearing voices; the ministry never told ME that.

Now its:

Quote: If your not gettting the results you want that means you need to adjust the communication.

Jesus didn't feel the need to adjust HIS communication.

Socrates:

However, as you so conveniently pointed out, he actually DID adjust his communication as the situation warranted.

You don't see the contradictions here?

Before you act on the urge to tell people the truth, don't you think you should get you story straight? Like I said, it not only damages credibility, but it makes you very predictable. I know whatever I tell you, you going to try to say the opposite is true.

I told you you were a polarity responder not to put you down, but so you would be aware of the behavior and have some control over it.

For years and years I had a fierce temper. Then one day I picked up The Gifted Adult and reallized I was a highly sensitive person. Being highly sensitive, which is borderline autistic, I take in more information than the average joe. As a result, its an easy system to overwhelm. Once I realized my temper came from being overwhelmed, I gained more control over it. If I was feeling irratable, it was a simple matter of letting someone know I was being overwhelmed or withdrawing myself from the situation for a few minutes. Knowing the problem, gave me greater control over the problem. The same thing I'm trying to do for you.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

No, you don't have to be Jesus. But, you are saying that, because Jesus didn't adjust his communication, you don't need to either. However, as you so conveniently pointed out, he actually DID adjust his communication as the situation warranted.

Apparently not enough....they crucified Him for not adjusting it to their liking.

I don't know if you realize how much your polarity response is damaging your credibility. Just in this thread:

Searching "polarity response" one finds the best advice for polarity response is to make the center pin the load.

Polarity response

Your power supply should be fine since it is AC and the Monitor needs AC thus the polarity shouldn't matter but to be safe make the center pin should be the load and the outer pin should be neutral!

Polarity Response

The only other sites that come up about "polarity response" are from a devotee of cult maven Tony Robbins.

johniam is a long time poster on these forums and his views have been consistent and credible.

The only other sites that come up about "polarity response" are from a devotee of cult maven Tony Robbins.

johniam is a long time poster on these forums and his views have been consistent and credible.

Did you check the source site in #61? Bet you didn't. Experience teaches me your not one to verify information.

Which search engine did you use? I googled "polarity response" and the first article was by Dr. Rick Kirschner. The next was a microphone definition in Wikipedia. The next led to an NLP site (No mention of Tony Robbins, however).

Just for your edification Tony Robbins isn't NLP, he is however the most recognized face of NLP. NLP was started by psychatrist Richard Bandler and a linguist John Grinder.

Also, are you saying the source makes the information or phenomenon invalid?

In the old political forum, you admitted you disagreed with people with "extreme prejudice." Is that the case here? Remember this from the political pushing and shoving thread?

#5 lovematters

Man About Town

Group:

Members Posts:

2,040 Joined:

13-June 02 Gender:Male Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

How is it flawed?

I enjoyed the "pushing and shoving" with those two as well as with you or any one else who enjoys disagreeing with extreme prejudice.

#11 lovematters

Man About Town

Group:

Members Posts:

2,040 Joined:

13-June 02 Gender:Male Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

So_crates, on 20 March 2011 - 08:08 PM, said:

Let's turn that around shall we? Do You disagree with extreme prejudice?

Indeed I do, So_crates.

It appears you haven't noticed.

I'm deeply hurt.

Because, if your using extreme prejudice,disagreeing to disagree because of the person, that pretty much invalidates any argument you can offer.

Also:

You tried to tell me Charlie Sykes was a liar, it was confirmed he was telling the truth.

You tried to tell me the WI legislatures getting threatening emails was a false flag operation, it was later confirmed a teacher sent the emails (source).

You tried to tell me Lerner was no longer with SEIU, Wade Rathke later confirmed he was still with SEIU in something like "injury reserve" in the NFL. (source)

Your batting 1.000

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Socrates,

Since you have labeled Johniam as a polarity responder I wonder are you a psychiatrist? That seem like a heavy diagnosis. Was Socrates a Dr?

No, I'm not a doctor, nor was a a doctor.

Being a writer, I've studied a lot of psychology.

Being highly sensitive, I usually recognize pattern others don't.

As you recall, this whole thing started because Johniam challanged me, saying I didn't have any ideas what his belif system was.

Socrates, you don't have a clue what my "chosen belief system" is.

As he's learned, hopefully, I have a better idea than he's giving me credit for.

@Tony, its an interesting game: you have to be an expert or carry some sort degree to be able to offer a qualified opinion. In that spirit, let's follow your logic:

One of your first post was on how much you loved us and wanted us to have eternal life.

In this thread you've expressed concern that we've thrown out the baby with the bathwater.

Are you an ordained minister? What qualifies you to be concerned about my personal affairs? Then, by your logic, its not your problem whether or not I have eternal life or whether or not I've thrown out the baby with the bathwater. That's between me and God.

Johniam, keeps trying to sell us on how, though he did some bad things, Saint Vic was just a human being that made mistakes. Is Johniam a psychiatrist? What qualifies him to present that opinion?

Does Johniam know any of the victims? Then what qualifies him to poo-poo people when they speak of the pain Saint Vic caused? Also, according to you logic, he's in no position to render a judgement.

So where are we?

Here's where I stand: you want to drink Saint Vic's Kool-Aid, feel free to. Its your problem. But don't expect me to drink it and certainly don't try and ram it down my throat. I don't appreciate it.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

How could anyone possibly NOT know what John's "chosen belief system" is? He's been trying to cram it down everyone's throat for over a decade.

Which is a lot of why he gets flamed. He just too subborn to admit it to himself.

SoCrates

quote:

Here's where I stand: you want to drink Saint Vic's Kool-Aid, feel free to. Its your problem. But don't expect me to drink it and certainly don't try and ram it down my throat. I don't appreciate it.

So anybody who disagrees with you is "ramming something down your throat"? Wonder what a psychiatrist would say about that.

• Upvote 1

quote:

So anybody who disagrees with you is "ramming something down your throat"? Wonder what a psychiatrist would say about that.

John, do your feet ever get tired from doing the strawman shuffle?

I mean really, John, "anybody who disagrees with you"?

Is that really what the poster said?

quote:

He would probably commend me for having the proper boundries: allowing you to be free to do what you choose to do, but being assertive enough to not allow you to infringe on my rights and leaving myself free to choose.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

:offtopic: Ever notice how every thread j-iam posts on becomes ABOUT j-iam? Been that way for years. Have had him on ignore since his last run through GSC, Sigh. It doesn't change. Ruins thread after thread unless you find the topic of j-iam interesting.