GreaseSpot Cafe

Hayes Gahagan

pawtucket

I'm pretty sure there was some kind of government investigation regarding TWI helping him and I have a friend who was involved and I will try to find out more. It seems this individual was told to lie to the FBI or whoever if asked certain questions, perhaps "Did this TWI organization tell you to campaign for him?"

I will see if the person remembers anything.

It was during Gahagan's political campaign that TWI's troubles with the IRS began. I was a WOW in D.C. in '78-'79; which it was that fall when Gahagan lost the Senate race up in Maine.

Since at the time D.C. was not a Limb, we were allowed (assigned? encouraged? I forget) to travel to a state Limb meeting ... I could be wrong but I think it was the Virginia meeting. Anyway Hayes spoke there, after which VP took up a collection for his campaign. I remember it distinctly how the ushers, or whoever, at first grabbed the horns of plenty to pass around. VP said "No, find something else," and some enterprising soul (a Corpuscle I'd guess) grabbed empty pitchers that belonged to the hotel and those were passed around.

Evidently VP thought that not using the horns of plenty would be enough to skirt the IRS rules that non-profit church corporations are obliged to follow to enjoy their tax deductibility status. As it turned out, it wasn't. Along with whatever else went on in the organization on behalf of Hayes' campaign -- which I believe some Corpses traveled to Maine and did some hoof work for it -- the IRS used the activities on behalf of a politician as an excuse to remain in TWI's hair for most of the rest of VP's life. :confused:

In related Wayfer historiography:

Some Corpses here may remember the essays, "The Way for Me, From Birth to the Corps," which, beginning with the -- what? 10th Corps? -- the in-resident Corpuscles were assigned to write. Well at some point during my Corpse "Interim Year," the governmental pencil heads ordered TWI to turn over the international corpuscles' TWFMFBTTC papers. At which point VP refused, and he made the refusal stick by sending all the essays he had back to everyone who had written one, along with an explanation of why he had refused to turn those belonging to the foreign Corpuscles over to the government.

Can't turn over what you ain't got, it's whatcha call "axiomatic." :anim-smile: I've still got mine in my file cabinet.

BTW, at some point during that "WOW Year" I took Gahagan's "Blessings of Liberty" class, which was a great. The "lite" PDF version of it that he's got up on his site now pales by comparison to what that thing was in 1978. (Typical Republican dissimulation if you ask me; yeah and there is still nothing in it about divided-sovereignty versus unitary governance in light of states rights, despite all my preaching. But I digress...)

At the time and to this day, IMHCO Hayes was reaching too far trying to go from Maine's State Senate all the way to the U.S. Senate. He should have run for the U.S. House first. But I digress again... :mooner:

Edited by Workman

Well at some point during my Corpse "Interim Year," the governmental pencil heads ordered TWI to turn over the international corpuscles' TWFMFBTTC papers. At which point VP refused, and he made the refusal stick by sending all the essays he had back to everyone who had written one, along with an explanation of why he had refused to turn those belonging to the foreign Corpuscles over to the government.

Can't turn over what you ain't got, it's whatcha call "axiomatic." :anim-smile: I've still got mine in my file cabinet.

It's a good thing the copy machine hadn't been invented yet. :unsure:

Hmmm. My dad had access to one of the original Xerox copiers as early as 1967..

:biglaugh:

I remember the thing. It was about the size of a medium sized closet..

but just wonder where that was heading.. government pencil heads? Wanting information about foreign "students" going into the corps?

what were they looking for? Evidence of international slave labor or something?

I can understand the reasonable questions..

a defrocked *minister* offering foreign "students" some kind of sanctuary here..

under the guise of some kind of *work* study visa or something..

there were probably some real concerns about things like sponsorship, from the Big(?) Organization..

that entails a lot of liability..

Sponsorship is a big deal nowadays..

One has to have enough financial assets to provide for medical treatment for the one applying, in the case of extreme medical emergency..

Enough proven annual income..

the organization would have to assume a lot of liability.. today for sure. 1979? Probably about 3/4 of the same.

as bad as I hate the Big Corporation..

some of them here, like Dow Corning, have stood up at the plate..

if they want the Best of the Best on their staff.. well, they seem to have agreed to the cost..

da way on the other hand, whimpered and ran away with its tail between it's legs into the night..

I really wish Hayes would read this kind of commentary..

what kind of society do we really want here..

I'm one of the Few Chosen Salmon that made it all the way up the stream, to find $400 a month here..

well.. I should be thankful.

the Student Loan people will expect payment according to what I can pay. That will officially end up being about 399.00 a month..

sowy. Hope I didn't ruin the theme here.

I was betting heavily, that our country would choose to rebuild..

Well, I am thankful. I can never die. If I should try, there will be a collection officer there, with either a shovel to beat life back into a failing heart, or an officially donated emergency defibrillator..

Yes, I will be teaching this fall..

there could be worse things..

sowie..

I need another half a bottle of cheap merlot..

Sorry I'm so bad tonight. Just ignore me..

• 1 month later...

You would think that even wierwille would realize that cult association is the kiss of death for a politician...(Perry is trying it on Romney right now)...

Maybe, but, Wierwille scoffed at those who called The Way a cult.

As far as he was concerned, it was a lucrative MLM opportunity.

Edited by waysider

I liked Hayes Gahagen. I liked the way he referred to the gathering Together as "The Big Snatch".

Beam me up Scotty, eh I mean Jesus :biglaugh:

• 3 years later...

I know this is a really old topic, but I met Hayes Gahagan and his young family in Indiana. At a TWI function. Past 1980. I have been to his home. In Indiana. Past 1980. He did (supposedly) leave shortly after, and he wasn't all that involved in TWI (due to his busy schedule) (I lived down the street from the limb headquarters, so I saw a lot of what went on) - but I do believe he was doing some sort of home fellowship. I do remember that we were told he moved back to Maine, only to find out he didn't - at least not when TWI flunkies said he did. There wasn't any talk of him having left TWI, which makes sense in hindsight.

He says he left in 1978, but he, for whatever reason, had some involvement past that date because that is the only way I would have known who he was. He had celebrity status even though he had lost in Maine.

Huh?

When Perry and other Republicans tried bringing up the 'cult' issue when Mitt was running for Prez in order to damage his Presidential run, ... and failed _miserably_. Love _that one! ... :biglaugh:

Edited by GarthP2000

When Perry and other Republicans tried bringing up the 'cult' issue when Mitt was running for Prez in order to damage his Presidential run, ... and failed _miserably_. Love _that one! ... biglaugh.gif

Ahhhh. Okay. I see. :)