GreaseSpot Cafe

Batteries not included.

waysider

As I stated in another thread, Ross McDonald described a human life as a bird flying in a lighted corridor, sandwitched between two dark corridors. We come from the unknown, we go to the unknown, the only thing we really know is now.

SoCrates

"some of us" remember where we came from. Or have a pretty good illusion, or delusion..

:biglaugh:

the last thing I remember, before the big cosmic flush down the hole..

there were two or three other entities I had to make some kind of agreement with to have the privilege of the flush.

"very likely you will not remember this conversation.."

I dunno. Could I have made it up?

The impression was more bizarre than anything I'd yet seen on T.V..

hippies.. lsd.. halloween candy.

yep.. that COULD explain it..

I remember that last instructions after the "you probably won't remember, but.." part.

"You had BETTER get it right, this time.."

for the most part, I think I have..

with a shrinking microcosm.. I don't know how many more chances we get..

I remember that last instructions after the "you probably won't remember, but.." part.

"You had BETTER get it right, this time.."

for the most part, I think I have..

with a shrinking microcosm.. I don't know how many more chances we get..

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe in a multiverse (definition). If you believe in a multiverse you got it both right and wrong.

SoCrates

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe in a multiverse

and then there's the whole thing about non-linear time.... And what about if you could live two different lives simultaneously?

The squirrel said: "I would like to see one honest report of where the "battery poser" has done something really useful.. other than to try to desperately attract attention and admiration to itself..

generally. I know, perhaps there are a couple specific cases.."

More than just a couple my squirrely friend.

We come from the unknown, we go to the unknown, the only thing we really know is now.

SoCrates

Speak for yourself. Personally, I have no idea what's going on.

Edited by Broken Arrow

I realize some folks here are Christian and some no longer are. With that is mind, feel free to adjust the verb tense (past or present) as you deem applicable.

So.... what if the batteries weren't included? What if everything about Christianity remained the same EXCEPT for the afterlife part? (ie: No promise of an afterlife, just things that apply to life in the here and now.) Is/was that a "deal breaker" as they say?

Please, no Sunday School lessons. Just a simple "yes/no/I'm not sure" and a brief explanation of why (or why not)

One problem, Waysider. If you take out the afterlife, you have no Christianity...or Judaism for that matter. If you take out the afterlife, the Gospels, in particular the "Sermon on the Mount", make absolutely no sense. Why be meek, or forgiving, or anything Christ taught? He taught things in light of there being a higher power and a higher authority to answer to someday.

The Apostle Paul says that if there is no afterlife he would have been a hedonist ("let us eat, drink and merry, for tomorrow we die".) Me? I would want to be a hedonist, but to be truthful, I would be an existentialist. While everyone else was partying I would be the guy in the corner going, "What's the use? There's no purpose!" :( I kind of border on that anyway, to my own dismay.

and then there's the whole thing about non-linear time.... And what about if you could live two different lives simultaneously?

non-linear time.

I've seen it..

about the same time as the "impressions" I referred to.

I watched my mom speaking. The speech started to become slurred.. slower, and slower, and slower..

I suppose from my point of view, time was speeding up.

it was pretty scary then. Now I would know what to do..

sit back, relax, and enjoy the "trip"..

I have no idea what it really was..

I would be perfectly satisfied with the hippies and halloween candy explanation.

regarding "specific cases". whatever became of the lady who supposedly grew a brand new functional eyeball in an empty eye socket?

just wonder. It was supposedly some gal from west virginia..

l*nda somebody..

can one (consciously) live two lives, simultaneously..

my vote is "no".

even in an existence of infinite possibilities..

I remember a few conversations with people.

"the last thing I knew, we were in a car.. in the wrong lane, 70 mph against opposing traffic.. the next moment, we were in a different lane.."

"god must have transported us, or something.."

sometimes I wish people wouldn't tell me anything. let them sort it out..

what I wonder is.

How many agreements did you have to make. With who, or whatever..

between the time the oncoming car resoundedly smashed you into oblivion, and the moment you were in the other lane.

batteries didn't exactly "work" that time, did they?

I'm sure, if you can get very, very quiet, you can remember this..

So, this is your answer to your own question then? Peggy Lee answers the question you have posed about a faith you don't embrace, or even understand, which is obvious from the question.......how is it so easy to be glib about what another believes and elsewhere lecture about elitism?

The wisdom of GSC posters sometimes astounds me.

Here is a verse of scripture since Peggy Lee's wisdom is being considered.

“But God said to him, ‘Thou fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

Interesting perspective.

Here is what scripture says in relation to your question.... If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men.

Edited by geisha779

Not my answer, Leiber and Stoller's answer. They wrote the song, not me. No one is asking you or anyone else to "believe" anything. The question is really not all that complex. Simply stated, it's this:, "If you removed the "afterlife" (for lack of a better word) from Christianity and left everything else intact, what effect would that have on your perceptions/actions?" Wierwille posed the same question in PFAL. But, in PFAL, he supplied an answer, as well. He said, "We would have had the best time going." The "here-after" is a major component of many religions, not just Christianity. How can one be able to embrace or understand their particular faith and not be open to discussion of it's major tenets?

Not my answer, Leiber and Stoller's answer. They wrote the song, not me. No one is asking you or anyone else to "believe" anything. The question is really not all that complex. Simply stated, it's this:, "If you removed the "afterlife" (for lack of a better word) from Christianity and left everything else intact, what effect would that have on your perceptions/actions?" Wierwille posed the same question in PFAL. But, in PFAL, he supplied an answer, as well. He said, "We would have had the best time going." The "here-after" is a major component of many religions, not just Christianity. How can one be able to embrace or understand their particular faith and not be open to discussion of it's major tenets?

You posted the song, you must have felt it relevant to the topic...their song...your choice to add it to the "discussion". You ask what you claim is a serious question....and then answer in a glib manner?

So, what do you think? What is your answer....other than a few jokes and a song or two? I am directly asking you what you think....the same way you posed the question.

I am more than open to a serious discussion of my faith...but, THAT is not what you asked for...is it? Please, no Sunday School lessons. Just a simple "yes/no/I'm not sure" and a brief explanation of why (or why not)

That tells me that this question is more to make a POINT than to promote genuine discussion. What is that point? That is a direct question to you.

Edited by geisha779

Pretty straight forward, really. Think of Christianity as a package-deal sort of product, with the batteries representing an afterlife. What if the package didn't include batteries? (afterlife)... Would you still buy the product without the batteries? ....Yes/No/Not sure...Why or Why not?

It's really just another way of stating what we all heard VPW postulate in PFAL.

("If we get to Heaven and find out it isn't there, etc. etc.")

Why would one even think this way? Not that I would ever reduce a persons faith to such an a thing as batteries and packages......not if I was seriously respecting their beliefs while trying to understand and asking a genuine question....but, why postulate something like this? Because of a joke made in a class by a cult leader? Obviously it is a complex question....reduced down to a level of a joke....with an added caveat insuring a glib answer.

As Socks has pointed out...there is no such thing as an "after life" in the Christian faith.....there is life. That is why Jesus said...I am the way the truth and the life.

A bit more involved than yes/no/unsure and far more worthy than a discussion of batteries.

I my experience religion (The Way) steals life . . . time, experiences, knowledge etc . . . what could any other religion offer? Christianity included?

The pull for religion is usually unlimited time . . . so experiences, knowledge etc will be unlimited . . . . but if there is no unlimited time . . . why bother?

When constraints are put on the system, there is a more interesting wave function . . . maybe that's one reason.

I can see where Waysider is coming from.

Christianity's big selling point is eternal life. This is what fuels the Christian engine, if you will.

Many of the atrocities done by Christians--the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, to name a few--have been done in the name of loving people and wanting them to have eternal life.

So, what if that engine never existed? Would Christians continue loving their neighbor and preaching forgiveness?

Remember both are tied to eternal life:

We love because God so loved the world...

We forgive because we remember how much God has forgiven us...

Would they be as committed? Would Christiananity spread as far and as fast as it did?

It's, however, an interesting thought experiment: pull the eternal life block out of the Jenga tower of Christianity. Does the whole tower collapse?

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

I mean no offense on this thread, but "Christianity in a nutshell" yes, no, not sure, brief explanation? Dude, that question is for the drive thru at a McDonalds.

Huh? I'll have a saviour with a side order of absolution and some triple thick ethics.

Oh, and an apple pie (caution:filling is hot) for Adam and Eve.

big-mac-extra-value-meal.jpgmcd-applepie.jpeg

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

I can see where Waysider is coming from.

Christianity's big selling point is eternal life. This is what fuels the Christian engine, if you will.

Many of the atrocities done by Christians--the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, to name a few--have been done in the name of loving people and wanting them to have eternal life.

So, what if that engine never existed? Would Christians continue loving their neighbor and preaching forgiveness?

Remember both are tied to eternal life:

We love because God so loved the world...

We forgive because we remember how much God has forgiven us...

Would they be as committed? Would Christiananity spread as far and as fast as it did?

It's, however, an interesting thought experiment: pull the eternal life block out of the Jenga tower of Christianity. Does the whole tower collapse?

SoCrates

No...Waysider is asking that if there were no promise of eternal life, would one still be a Christian. Who is going to say that they won't love their neighbor or offer forgiveness?

Nevetheless, I don't think Waysider was being glib in posting the song. A lot us had said if there were no resurrection of the dead then, "...let us eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall die." I went as far as to say that while I may try to be a hedonist, I would more likely be the guy crashing everyone's party going, "What's the use? Everything is meaningless!" Waysider's song was simply illustrating in a slightly humorous way what a lot of people feel. That is, "no resurrection...no meaning". Not that the song is hymn or anything.

• Upvote 1

I mean no offense on this thread, but "Christianity in a nutshell" yes, no, not sure, brief explanation? Dude, that question is for the drive thru at a McDonalds.

who's got more time than that?

Course . . . wayfers had time . . . 3 fellowships a week, study night, witness night etc. . . . too much time on their hands . . . .