GreaseSpot Cafe

the oldest man

johniam

The first track on side one of the Guess Who's third album (American woman) is called 969 (the oldest man). Nice tune. No lyrics, kind of jazzy feel. The song was written by Randy Bachman, who would soon after leave the group to form BTO and take care of that business. But the song is obviously about Methusela.

We don't really know if he was literally the oldest man EVER; just that he was the oldest man recognized by scripture. There were 1656 years between Adam and the flood. This means there could have been someone who lived longer than 969 years. Did living that long mean anything? Don't think so; Methusela died in the flood.

Why mention this? Today when I got online one of the articles on yahoo home page was about the passing of the previously oldest person alive, 114 year old Walter Breuning of Great Falls, MT. His philosophy on how he lived so long was as follows....

• Embrace change, even when the change slaps you in the face. ("Every change is good.")

• Eat two meals a day ("That's all you need.")

• Work as long as you can ("That money's going to come in handy.")

• Help others ("The more you do for others, the better shape you're in.")

Then there's the hardest part. It's a lesson Breuning said he learned from his grandfather: Accept death.

"We're going to die. Some people are scared of dying. Never be afraid to die. Because you're born to die," he said.

The article goes on to say he worked for the railroad for 50 years, retired at 67, then continued working at the Shriners for 32 more years. Was married for 35 years, widowed in 1957, never remarried. Spent his last days in a retirement home in Great Falls.

I'm not even half as old as this guy was and I have thought of myself as more and more of an "old person". The part of his philosophy that got my attention was 'work as long as you can'. I plan on doing just that. Nothing in the article about any faith in anything. Just thought it was an interesting read.

My grandfather died when he was 113, he kept a job until he was 99 and worked in his garden and around the house until the very end of his life...He spoke about a lot of the same things as that gentleman...another thing...no matter what circumstances may have been, nobody recalls him ever being angry or upset about anything.

he had a good run

Im 55, Im just getting warmed up :)

I remember my grandmother in her eighties walking down the street to help out a neighbor who she called an 'old lady'. The old lady was house bound, she was younger than my grandma.

I was born with a slug of birth defects, doubt I will have that shelf life my grandparents had. But I can think young!

Edited by Bramble

The first track on side one of the Guess Who's third album (American woman) is called 969 (the oldest man). Nice tune. No lyrics, kind of jazzy feel. The song was written by Randy Bachman, who would soon after leave the group to form BTO and take care of that business. But the song is obviously about Methusela.

We don't really know if he was literally the oldest man EVER; just that he was the oldest man recognized by scripture. There were 1656 years between Adam and the flood. This means there could have been someone who lived longer than 969 years. Did living that long mean anything? Don't think so; Methusela died in the flood.

Why mention this? Today when I got online one of the articles on yahoo home page was about the passing of the previously oldest person alive, 114 year old Walter Breuning of Great Falls, MT. His philosophy on how he lived so long was as follows....

• Embrace change, even when the change slaps you in the face. ("Every change is good.")

• Eat two meals a day ("That's all you need.")

• Work as long as you can ("That money's going to come in handy.")

• Help others ("The more you do for others, the better shape you're in.")

Then there's the hardest part. It's a lesson Breuning said he learned from his grandfather: Accept death.

"We're going to die. Some people are scared of dying. Never be afraid to die. Because you're born to die," he said.

The article goes on to say he worked for the railroad for 50 years, retired at 67, then continued working at the Shriners for 32 more years. Was married for 35 years, widowed in 1957, never remarried. Spent his last days in a retirement home in Great Falls.

I'm not even half as old as this guy was and I have thought of myself as more and more of an "old person". The part of his philosophy that got my attention was 'work as long as you can'. I plan on doing just that. Nothing in the article about any faith in anything. Just thought it was an interesting read.

I think living that long may have been more wonderful than we think. Imagine the things you would be able to see during that life span. Imagine how much you could learn walking with God (minus the times you weren't in fellowship with him.) Imagine no germs creeping into your immune system. That's why they were living that long. When I think of some of the fascinating things that I've learned in life I consider that,they are probably things that Adam or Noah or Methusela learned first. Things like woodworking, survival skills, using tools, cooking, sewing clothes were all things that were probably first started by the patriarchs.

My grandfather died when he was 113, he kept a job until he was 99 and worked in his garden and around the house until the very end of his life...He spoke about a lot of the same things as that gentleman...another thing...no matter what circumstances may have been, nobody recalls him ever being angry or upset about anything.

he had a good run

That's a great story 'mstarl' live well and prosper.

he had a good run

Wow, that is amazing. I bet he was a wonderful man.

I've always thought it was kinda funny, that if you divided the number of years Methusula, Noah, and the rest of the Genesis boys by 12, they length they lived and what they did at a given age makes sense. Could they've been talking about "months" rather than "years". Dunno. I know to Bible literalists that the mere suggestion is unthinkable, but it makes sense to me. But then, I don't hold the Bible to any higher standard than any other writ of it's day...

As fer living a 100 years or more now, well, if you've got something to do - and are able to still do it, I guess that's fine. But spending 20 or 30 years couped up in a home, or laying in bed, or tethered to a phalanx of machinery doesn't appeal to me in the least. I'd just as soon check out while I'm still somewhat capable...

Yeah, if 969 was months then Methusela would have been 80 years old. I believe it's years, but I've thought lately about numbering our ages by days. Justin Hayward and John Lodge of Moody Blues did a side project called Blue Jays back in the 70s. One of the tracks on it was called 22,000 days. That's early 60s in years. I hit my 20,000th recently. I feel more like I've been alive 20K something than 56. Methusela had over 300,000 days if the 969 is years. Wow. Boggles the mind.

Wow, that is amazing. I bet he was a wonderful man.

He was....a man of simplicity and unassuming faith who never lost his sense of wonder and inquisitive mind

As far as seeing a lot --he was born when Grant was President! :biglaugh:

He'd stand amazed and smile at things most of us take for granted like an airplane flying overhead or talking on the telephone.

Another thing that I left out, he had 11 brothers, even though he died at 113, 8 of them were at his funeral--the mstar genetics are pretty good

He was....a man of simplicity and unassuming faith who never lost his sense of wonder and inquisitive mind

As far as seeing a lot --he was born when Grant was President! :biglaugh:

He'd stand amazed and smile at things most of us take for granted like an airplane flying overhead or talking on the telephone.

Another thing that I left out, he had 11 brothers, even though he died at 113, 8 of them were at his funeral--the mstar genetics are pretty good

My Grandpa lived late into his 90's. He drank a great deal and smoked 2 packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day. He died on Christmas day awhile back. He didn't suffer, he just drifted off. Truth be told...he was not really a nice man at all. He was abusive to his wife and kids. His daughters, my aunts, are some of the most kind, gregarious, and loving women you could ever meet. All of them are stunningly beautiful too, and kind of legendary around here. I marvel that they turned out so good coming from such a father.

Not all old man are sweet and gentle. :) Your grandpa sounds wonderful.

I had a great-aunt from the other side of my family who I absolutely adored. She lived to be 85. I spent my summers on her farm. My farm now. Before she died I took an oral history from her.

She too was born when there was still horse and buggy roaming the streets. I still marvel at all the things she saw in her lifetime. She lost a brother to the great flu epidemic right before the 1920's. Several of her 11 brothers fought in WW1 and then WW2. She and her sister both were Rosie the Riveters....her mother fed people out the back door during the Great Depression.....because they raised chickens and rabbits they had plenty of food. She designed and made barbie doll clothes for Mattel in the 1950's and 60's....I still have some of them...she was an amazing seamstress. I have a dress she made from Parachute silk sent to her during WW2.

Her father was a prize fighter who boxed with John L Sullivan. DL Moody sat at the same kitchen table I have today...it once belonged to my great-grandfather.

I loved listening to her...history really came to life. We would have a cup of tea every night and just talk. I really miss her!

My Grandpa lived late into his 90's. He drank a great deal and smoked 2 packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day. He died on Christmas day awhile back. He didn't suffer, he just drifted off. Truth be told...he was not really a nice man at all. He was abusive to his wife and kids. His daughters, my aunts, are some of the most kind, gregarious, and loving women you could ever meet. All of them are stunningly beautiful too, and kind of legendary around here. I marvel that they turned out so good coming from such a father.

Not all old man are sweet and gentle. :) Your grandpa sounds wonderful.

I had a great-aunt from the other side of my family who I absolutely adored. She lived to be 85. I spent my summers on her farm. My farm now. Before she died I took an oral history from her.

She too was born when there was still horse and buggy roaming the streets. I still marvel at all the things she saw in her lifetime. She lost a brother to the great flu epidemic right before the 1920's. Several of her 11 brothers fought in WW1 and then WW2. She and her sister both were Rosie the Riveters....her mother fed people out the back door during the Great Depression.....because they raised chickens and rabbits they had plenty of food. She designed and made barbie doll clothes for Mattel in the 1950's and 60's....I still have some of them...she was an amazing seamstress. I have a dress she made from Parachute silk sent to her during WW2.

Her father was a prize fighter who boxed with John L Sullivan. DL Moody sat at the same kitchen table I have today...it once belonged to my great-grandfather.

I loved listening to her...history really came to life. We would have a cup of tea every night and just talk. I really miss her!

She sounds great!--I always seem to get along a lot better with either very old people or very young children, instead of people in my own age bracket who almost always have an 'angle' on every thing. Children and old people just are...it must be a great gift that you get to carry on at her farm...

My grandparents too had a steady stream of people that they fed out the backdoor during the depression all while my grandfather was making less than zero each week :biglaugh: (I get my business sense from him apparently)

My Dad always thought there was some mark in the alley that directed 'hobos' to their door.

They or the family never went hungry.

He made his childrens shoes during that time because they couldnt afford storebought shoes...

I have his shoemaking tools

I also have a family kitchen table that has been in use everyday in my family for well over 100 years. It is simple, solid and hand made, every mark and every scar in the table has a story.

I miss em all too--Im thankful that they left me their legacy and some simple reminders that there is alot more to the picture than meets the eye.

Spent a lot of time with my great grandfather, who died aged 94. Old and full of days.

And later with my grandfather, who died "prematurely" at 84. Legend there is that he befriended a young workman working on the house next door, helped him, fed him... and the young man broke in to steal from my grandfather's hous. The shock depressed him badly and he died a few months later. Nothing proven, of course, but his giving heart...gave up.

It's amazing what our old folks have lived through. The changes they have seen. Their oral histories.

We need to cherish our old folks. Part of the richness of our culture.

My mum always says: "I may be 80 [she's older than that] on the outside, but on the inside I'm still 18." It's the body that gets old. The mind doesn't - it often stays interested and curious. Never too old to learn.

Good on all those folks here who are doing degrees and other studies in their 40s, 50s and older. Live long and prosper [thrive].