GreaseSpot Cafe

Stopping Family Time Again

cman

Come on, guys... It's just another Pagan holiday that should be crushed under the feet of "the househd of God."

(I will be happily hiding Easter eggs and eating ham, spending time with family, and generally praising God that I am not anywhere near New Knoxvie.)

OK, I'll bite, what exactly is an Advanced Class Special? Please be gentile in your answer, I am having a very good hair day and I don't want to start pulling it out. Also, I never had the regular Advanced Class so don't go getting all spiritshul on me. And no spiritual anger, if you don't mind.

I hope this didn't sound too bitter. Thanks.

ah, another term at Hogwarts for Master Harry Potter to defeat the ultimate foe, Lord Vordermoot aka the Adeversary or Queen Rosie the Riverter of Lady Donna :biglaugh::rolleyes:

OK, I'll bite, what exactly is an Advanced Class Special? Please be gentile in your answer, I am having a very good hair day and I don't want to start pulling it out. Also, I never had the regular Advanced Class so don't go getting all spiritshul on me. And no spiritual anger, if you don't mind.

I hope this didn't sound too bitter. Thanks.

It's basically a several day event where some teaching topic or another is handled. Usually it's specific to what Rosie feels the advanced grads need to hear so they will do what she wants them to. It's only for corps and AC grads. Sort of a hoopla stop over to get the spiritually mature excited enough to push classes. I know, I am a bit cynical. :biglaugh:

These "specials" are usually scheduled over what is traditionally a family holiday. Word in Business and Professional conferences used to be scheduled over Thanksgiving holiday.

The given reason was that hotel rates are cheaper then, but the underlying reason is to keep the attendees from going home to a family gathering, realizing how much more satisfying it is and how real the love of family is, and never coming back.

"Builds more harmony in the home"? Not hardly.

I thought the Advanced Class was on revelation, discerning of spirits, healing and miracles. Something VPW, LCM, and RR never had a clue about. :smilie_kool_aid:

I heard it was the weekend before easter.... i.e. last weekend.

Must have been one hell of an event. Not a peep from anyone about it.

Thomas Bumgarner commented: I thought the Advanced Class was on revelation, discerning of spirits, healing and miracles. Something VPW, LCM, and RR never had a clue about.

It used to be in the 1970s, 80s, and perhaps even early 90s. I went to an Advanced Class Special in probably 94 or 95 at The Way HQ and the whole thing was pretty much how to "discern" devil spirits and those born of the wrong seed by secular means -- basically Craig ranting and raving and giving exanples. I took lots of notes, but I'm not sure I still have them -- they are mostly his opinion, very little Bible.

When I first took the Advanced Class in 1973, it was divided into sections on revelation, discerning of spirits, miracles and healing, but also interspersed with some odd tapes. The ones I remember are "Bitten by Devils", "If You Don't Bow, You Won't Burn" (an expository teaching on Daniel 3, from Oral Roberts at the height of his ministry - later "sold out to the Methodist Church," according to VPW), and a "winner" called "Hypnotism, Communism, and the Beatles." There were others, but these are the ones I remember.

Took it in-residence at both Emporia and Gunnison in 1983 and 1985. Don't remember much about the Gunnison one. The one at Emporia had lots of the auxiliary tapes like the ones mentioned above, plus there was a live speaker who talked on music. There was also a Corps person who talked about being taken for psychic surgery in Central America when she was a child, but didn't end up having it. Members of her family did -- turns out they "paid" for their healing with lots of devilish stuff. Could probably remember more details if I thought about it, but I try not to think about it.

Edited by DogLover

It used to be in the 1970s, 80s, and perhaps even early 90s. I went to an Advanced Class Special in probably 94 or 95 at The Way HQ and the whole thing was pretty much how to "discern" devil spirits and those born of the wrong seed by secular means -- basically Craig ranting and raving and giving exanples.

Ya, my first AC special was in 1998. I think it was all about Joshua and the promised land or some such thing. Craig went on tangents about the manifestations but they were definitely not the focus. Subsequent ones were used for damage control, i.e., the one in 2000. After Rosie took the helm they were just as watered down and boring as any other presentation she has "produced."

1) Does it save money?

Yes- the hotel gives a rate because nobody else wants to drag people from their loved ones

on holiday weekends. And the participants all still have to cover their own expenses-

food, hotel room, and a separate fee for the class itself.

(Odd how a group with facilities that were DESIGNED so they could run classes would

decide to sub-contract out the physical details, no? But it saves them money this way.

It's more expensive for the STUDENTS, but they don't count and are DISPOSABLE.

2) Does it cement loyalty?

Yes- by removing the normal opportunities to socialize with families and be human for a time,

twi deprives its FOLLOWERS (their term, not mine) of the chance to fit into society and makes

them more dependent upon twi for their socialization, friends, and support networks in general.

So, if you want to do something or need help, you're dependent upon twi people for any assistance-

which means twi can exert influence and shut you down. This is the kind of medieval thinking

that made the European witch-hunts such a profitable enterprise for the secular authorities

and the RCC. twi will condemn the RCC but do what they can to imitate practices from it they

think can get them more money or loyalty.

Not that they actually UNDERSTAND the practices-

pale copies are sufficient for twi, the people are not worth more effort because twi has

always considered its FOLLOWERS as DISPOSABLE no matter what they said. By treating them as

DISPOSABLE but continually mouthing platitudes about how precious they are, twi has fooled

and continues to fool lots of FOLLOWERS as to how DISPOSABLE they are. Hey, Mrs W was

considered DISPOSABLE- so Joe Believer should really think about how fast they will show

him the door if he doesn't cower in a prostrate manner before their whims.

ohmygod i was so afraid after being a grad because they always made you stand up and forced you to minister to people

Yes!!

In fact, the AC I took in 1973 culminated with a healing ceremony at the last night of ROA. Wierwille barked out an order from the main stage for ALL AC grads to come front and center and find someone to "minister to". I did not go. I felt that if God had wanted me to go, He would have told me himself. It was one of the few moments at that point in my life when I felt so strongly that my defiance was justified. It didn't take long, however, for doubt about my actions to start to creep in. I can't begin to tell you how long I carried around the guilt for what I had done (not done) that evening.

This is a bit off topic but here goes.

I remember a guy from Witchita named L@nni# 3arN5 giving the blessing over a snack. He said, "God, I thank you for blessing the tar out of this soda pop." After the amen, I turned to him and jokingly said, "Gee, I didn't know there's tar in soda pop." He looked back at me, smiled and said, "Well, there isn't NOW."

Edited by waysider

Anyone remember the AC in 1979 which had a session open to any foundational/intermediate grad? This was at Ohio University in Athens(or was that Marietta?). This was for 1 night only.

The 1979 Advanced Class Special was in Athens, Ohio at Ohio University. It was two weeks long. The Saturday in the middle was called "Specially Mine in '79" and was open.

Athens is a relatively small town except for the college and this was in the summer. Merchants who usually closed their stores and restaurants for the summer stayed open and made a fortune.

The next spring, I had an acquaintance who was friends with some of the businessmen call me to ask if another special was planned for the summer of 1980. They wanted to know in advance whether to plan a summer vacation.

We actually had to move the summer of 1979 to accommodate folks. One of our "housemates" was the BL and she filled the house where we lived with her kin and friends. We subleased a smaller house and she sent people to stay with us there.

It was a really big stress for those of us who lived/attended college there. Not all of the "townies" were pleased. I do remember there was a nice restaurant on the corner of Union Street and Richland (?) called Town House and they were not expecting the "Specially Mine" influx of even more people so they were swamped. Mr. Garden and I ate there frequently, so we got up and helped bus tables until they could call in reinforcements.

There are many more facilities and cities that were better suited to handle a huge crowd like that. I'm not sure what TWI was thinking when they picked OU.