Your response is requested!

socks

Are you a Christian?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Christian

• Yes
    • No
    • I prefer not to answer

Greetings peeps. Please respond to this survey.

What's this all about, socks? I'm glad I asked.

Not much, really. Just looking to get a head count here, based on 3 pieces of data - total number of responses, how many yes and how many no.

I hope it's "anonymous" and works for everyone and only shows the bar graph for totals - your id name shouldn't be associated with the vote you choose but if it does, I'll re do this.

There's no free prizes for voting but you will have the sense of pride and accomplishment that is sure to come from participating in a poll that I, socks, have created so don't miss this chance - if you would please pick one. There's no right/wrong-good/bad answer to this either, which is why I've added the option to participate but select Prefer Not To Answer. Nifty, hey? That way we, the gang on GS over the next week or so, can see how many people are around reading - remember - you can respond and not take a position on yes or no.

You can comment or elaborate in the thread if you'd like, as much as you'd like, or not at all if you'd like. Not to. You don't have to explain anything to me, socks, but you can elaborate, extrapolate and prognosticate as much and as often as you'd like. Please do.

Just what do I mean by "a Christian"? You can tell us if you want but if you consider yourself one and that's your faith-belief-system-tax writeoff-structured settlement plan - go for it. If you go to church, don't go to church, have a church of one, read the bible, don't read the bible, believe in the Trinity or not, whatever. Doesn't matter brand, blend or shirt size.

Yes, no or Prefer Not to .......... that's it. All I'm looking for is an honest answer. That's all. Punch a choice and you're done.

I was going to monitor this for say - 1 week, and tally up next week or when it seems responses are over.

Thanks!

Okay, Ham. that's okay. "Prefer not to" works for everything else in this poll besides a yes/no.

It might be better worded "Not yes or no" - I just couldn't come up with wording that would communicate that anything besides yes/no is a 3rd category, whether it's a qualified yes or no or a maybe, not today, not sure, might be later, was once, etc.

I can't see the respondents names but am told they're visible - I may have to start over.:doh:

under current definitions in church and society.. I wish you gave another choice.. "I really don't know.."

Almost the same here. It's a difficult question....the definitions keep changing

I spoke in tongues in the 70's and was told it was proof that I was going to heaven and all hell couldnt stop me--Less that 10 years later I was told that I was possessed for leaving TWI and had lost all of my eternal rewards.

I tried another church about 5 years later and they of the unconditional love booted me after a few months for having been in The Way. That was it for me for a long time.

I quit even attempting for a long time, I met an understanding episcopalian bishop a few years back who listened to my whole story, we spoke for several hours and then he baptized me, which in that tradition "establishes an indissoluble bond with God"

which Im sure someone will dispute

I pray once in awhile, go to church once in awhile, try to be mostly decent and respectful to my fellow man, giveaway money to causes I believe in, work as a craftsman for the church....still swear too much, give the finger to people who cut me off in traffic....

I really dont know where the hoops are to jump through anymore and I got very tired of the goalposts continually moving.

So I rarely if ever assume that I can take the title 'christian'. There always seems to be someone around who is quick to tell me that Im not...so...whatever....I'll live my life and let God figure out if I make the grade or not

Edited by mstar1

well.. I hope the club admits membership for Squirrels..

:biglaugh:

hey. Same for the cats here. We have two of them. If Jesus comes back.. the cats come with me..

I can't imagine life for them, with a Republican, anti-christ money and property grubbing oriented state.

My best friend says.. no problem. They are innocent..

maybe they were just sent to observe, like some of us..

To me, the christian(?) conservatives are the worst. They have no idea who really pays for the hot water they enjoy for their shower in the morning.. and the (relatively, in a global sense) the cheap gas, they burn, on the way to work..

some are waking up though..

am I Christian..

I suppose it depends on how you define it..

somebody other than myself will have to bestow me with the title.. sorry.. I'm not smart enough to figure it out..

I'm smart enough to figure out some math. God, no.

Hey Paw - I'm not. Someone wrote me they were - so I dunno. It sounds like it's okay then.

mstar - you're actually describing this poll choice "yes" perfectly - if YOU believe, consider, think you are - irrespective of whether or not anyone else does-or would argue you are...or aren't

I don't care about cultural, religious, political or other definitions external to your own understanding and perception of yourself.

How would you personally respond yes, no

or (for whatever of a 1,000 other choices) you wouldn't be able to answer yes or no.

I'm not looking for a fight here Ham - this isn't meant to make you feel like you're not a member of a club or something - it's a question. If you select yes fine. If you select no, fine. If you have anyone of another many perfectly swell and valid answers, select the third option and feel free to elaborate, as you are. Otherwise it's just a question.

Thanks for responding!

Socks,

I know that there is a mechanism that doesn't allow people to vote twice. So there is something in the DB that tracks that stuff. It would take more work than I am ever willing to do to match the numbers or code and match them up with users. That said, the only way to see the votes by individual would be if I did SQL queries on the database. I haven't got the time to even figure out how to do that.

OK then!

How about a "yes", on MY terms?

Ham,

Maybe sometime you would like to check out this guy http://www.ttf.org/index/about/lennox/ I bet you would enjoy reading or listening to him. Maybe even contact him?

It might be interesting for you on many levels. :) Please. it is just a suggestion!

Thanks Mr. P - that's fine as is, I have no problem with that. For whatever reasons I guess I've never clicked past the poll vote view and didn't know it shows who voted how. "Out of the box" is perfect by me, thanks!

excabernet, it's been awhile, for sure. :)

Interesting link, geisha!

I like "yes" on your own terms - no on your own terms - that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Maybe I should re name the third choice "Something else besides yes or no". That's more or less what I mean. The variances are so many that I figured anyone who wants to can describe them here in.

It's difficult to answer anything yes/no these days and I know what you're saying Ham. I appreciate your interest and patience. Cheers!

TWI represents what may be the peak of redefining "Christian" as a word. If you were a "standing believer" back in the day you qualified, fully certified in ac'racy, etc. Everyone else - questionable.

Like probably many of you - I don't look at it that way today. I'm accepted by most, don't fight with the rest and that's about it. I know who and what I am. That's enough for me.

Socks,

where are you seeing name? These polls don't show names, unless there was a memo that I didn't get.

Every poll I've taken always shows how you voted under view. I just voted here and saw the other names that voted as I did. Maybe you didn't get that memo Pawtucket.

Edited by Human without the bean

what does YMMV mean?

Your mileage may vary. Have always been a Christian since my father was a Lutheran pastor and didn't have much choice. Lutheran before TWI, during and afterward.