GreaseSpot Cafe

Old Way Musicians and their styles

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

I know we have talked about this before but thought it might be worth chatting . Pressed Down has been compared to the Eagles, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Seals and Croft. Ted to Elvis, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Frank Sinatra. Good Seed to Chicago and 3 Dog Nite. Dean Ellenwood to Herb Albert; Stevie Kay to Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, and Dolly Parton. Paul Vergilio to Sly and the Family Stone. Brian Bliss to Chris Tomlin. Would Way Productions evolved into styles such as Hillsong, Casting Crowns, Kutlass, Toby Mac, etc. had Wierwille, Martindale, and Rivenbark stayed out of music decisions?

I know we have talked about this before but thought it might be worth chatting . Pressed Down has been compared to the Eagles, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Seals and Croft. Ted to Elvis, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Frank Sinatra. Good Seed to Chicago and 3 Dog Nite. Dean Ellenwood to Herb Albert; Stevie Kay to Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, and Dolly Parton. Paul Vergilio to Sly and the Family Stone. Brian Bliss to Chris Tomlin. Would Way Productions evolved into styles such as Hillsong, Casting Crowns, Kutlass, Toby Mac, etc. had Wierwille, Martindale, and Rivenbark stayed out of music decisions?

Ken M. and Dean were in a secular band prior to coming into Way Productions. They had an offer for a recording contract but turned it down to come in the Corps. So, I think they may have been country rockers. Either one of them can play whatever style you want, even classical.

Edited by Broken Arrow

Would Way Productions evolved into styles such as Hillsong, Casting Crowns, Kutlass, Toby Mac, etc. had Wierwille, Martindale, and Rivenbark stayed out of music decisions?

Maybe...but I think much CC music is geared towards worship...so maybe not.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QacLbnVVdnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

meant to add Paul Baloche to Brian's style of singing, and Claudette Royal to Aretha Franklin, Mahalia Jackson, as well to Tom Lepinski to Elvis. So did I match syles and genres correctly or not? I also posted this at ExWay Vision. :confused: <_< :unsure: :wacko: :yawn1: :blink: :sleep1:

guys, you aren't supposed to seriously and literally take those emoticons as fact :offtopic: Did I nail the styles down or not? Please discuss if I am right. Socks this includes you.

I can see the comparison between Ted Jerry Lee Lewis, maybe a little bit of Elvis, but I don't see any similarities between him and Roy Orbison at least music wise. It must have been someone young who compared Ted to Frank Sinatra. To anyone young, someone singing in front of a band without a guitar reminds them of Sinatra. In my opinion, that's where the similarity ends. I suppose Ol' Blue Eyes could have sung gospel if he wanted to, but he didn't. Can you imagine Sinatra singing "Thanks to Calvary", or "Let's All Go Down to the River"? It just wasn't his style.

The only other one I'd like to comment on is the comparison between Pressed Down and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. I agree but I think an even better comparison is between Pressed Down and Pure Prairie League. Oh yeah, Claudette and Aretha. To me it was obvious that Claudette was a fan of Aretha's at least at one time. Yeah, their styles are very similar and frankly I think Claudette was every bit as good. Aretha, though, knew the business a lot better.

My thoughts FWIW.

BA, thanks. :anim-smile::rolleyes:

still think Ted sounds like Roy Orbinson(Pretty Lady), remember he was a night club singer/crooner and in another life might have worked in Vegas or Branson. :smilie_kool_aid:

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is any more responses, I will close this topic. Speak now or forever hold your peace(btw no longer found in wedding ceremonies)

Who really knows where the many talented people involved with TWI might have gone had they

not been interfered with by TWI "management". There were many talented folks ...not only in music,

but also in art, writing, etc.

"Creativity" or artistic freedom was not possible in TWI and many suffered for it.

Personally, in my 4- 5 years involvement in TWI, I thought the majority of the music was rather amateurish

and poorly produced compared to more mainstream Christian music. But I'm sure the lyrics and melodies

were "accurate according to the word".

I never understood the glassy-eyed adoration of Good Seed, Pressed Down, et al. I thought they

were mediocre at best. Comparing any of these to the Eagles or Crosby, Stills, Nash is a stretch.

I did think that Claudette was exceptionally talented and still wonder how she might have done

had it not been for TWI. Her rendition of Precious Lord is still the best I have ever heard.

• Upvote 1

Gees Geisha -warn us to get a barf bag before you post a video like that again

You've been wearing spikes and leather

begging to be whipped for pleasure

at the glory hole

What the he!!?

I do have to admit I havent heard S&M songs at any other church Ive ever been to!!

But it sure sounds like TWI -- it even finished with the Lecherous old man with his arm around a cute young girl--It gave me the creeps

ewwww

Gees Geisha -warn us to get a barf bag before you post a video like that again

What the he!!?

I do have to admit I havent heard S&M songs at any other church Ive ever been to!!

But it sure sounds like TWI -- it even finished with the Lecherous old man with his arm around a cute young girl--It gave me the creeps

ewwww

sounds like Craig dressed up using Donna's clothes, what a drag :biglaugh: btw the rock group America has been used as comparison To Pressed Down, again talking about musical styles and genres, NOT lyrics or text.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Who really knows where the many talented people involved with TWI might have gone had they

not been interfered with by TWI "management". There were many talented folks ...not only in music,

but also in art, writing, etc.

"Creativity" or artistic freedom was not possible in TWI and many suffered for it.

Personally, in my 4- 5 years involvement in TWI, I thought the majority of the music was rather amateurish

and poorly produced compared to more mainstream Christian music.

I never understood the glassy-eyed adoration of Good Seed, Pressed Down, et al. I thought they

were mediocre at best. Comparing any of these to the Eagles or Crosby, Stills, Nash is a stretch.

I think it might depend on when you heard them. Their stuff from '72, I believe, was right up there with anybody secular or otherwise. Later on though, you're right. It kind of went the way of "Easy Listening" with a couple exceptions. I personally think Good Seed did well.

I do agree, though, that the production quality coming out of TWI was often shoddy.

was this back in 1969, or much later? I think Ralph and Joe no longer associate with Paul.

We sure had a lot of very talented musicians and songwriters come through those doors in New Knoxville. To this day I'm still amazed at the talent I had the privilege and pleasure of working with.

Most of you have never seen or heard me doing my lounge and club routine.I pretty much do all styles of music rock and roll,country,and a lot of the old jazz standards.I do a lot of Frank Sinatra tunes, big band and etc.Yes I'm still at it doing gigs here in Fl.

Be the good Lord willing I'll keep on a rockin'

Far as singing gospel that is still a very important part of my life Mostly in that avenue I perform in nursing homes and assisted living places. There is very little pay if any but it's my way of giving. Sometimes I'm even asked to preach.

Well anyways besides all the dog and pony show that some of us went through. A lot of the music and songs that were produced has a special place in my heart. And that's the name of that tune.

God Bless All

Ted

• Upvote 1

Hiya Ted, old friend! Love ya!

Ted said:

Most of you have never seen or heard me doing my lounge and club routine.I pretty much do all styles of music rock and roll,country,and a lot of the old jazz standards.I do a lot of Frank Sinatra tunes, big band and etc.Yes I'm still at it doing gigs here in Fl.

As someone who had the pleasure of seeing Ted in action doing his lounge routine, I have to say, it was marvelous. And as he says, it covered everything from rock to Sinatra, and many other genres in between. He's one talented man. And I wasn't the only one in attendance who thought so. His act was very well received and followed by many.

There was a wealth of talent in twi. As the years went on it got squelched and micromanaged more and more, but the talent was definitely there.

• Upvote 1

Hello Linda

Nice to hear from you. I pray all is well with you up there in Ohio.Here in Florida it's starting to get warm but that comes with the territory

If you ever want to come for a visi tyou are most welcome but let me know cause I'll have to clear out the alligators in the spare bed room. ha ha

Sure would love to see you again someday.You will always have a special place in my heart.

Your Friend

Ted

I think the best Way musician/singer was Stevie Kay Louis (is that right - I'm getting old). No offense Ted :) What a voice. She was mega talented, and, as so often happened with talented musicians who did not toe the TWI Way Prod "party line" - she was gone after a few years.

She sang a song on a Sunday night service called "One Day at a Time" Lord Jesus...

I listened to that song almost every day of my WOW year - sometimes it was the only thing that kept me going that year.

I think the best Way musician/singer was Stevie Kay Louis (is that right - I'm getting old). No offense Ted :) What a voice. She was mega talented, and, as so often happened with talented musicians who did not toe the TWI Way Prod "party line" - she was gone after a few years.

She sang a song on a Sunday night service called "One Day at a Time" Lord Jesus...

I listened to that song almost every day of my WOW year - sometimes it was the only thing that kept me going that year.

Someone told me, back in the day, that Stevie Kay used to sing on TV commercials before her Way days. I'm thinking it was for Ford commercials. I can't recall for sure, nor can I confirm that it was true. She had a great voice, very powerful. I used to run out of breath trying to sing her songs.

Yes yes Stevie Kay was one of the best that ever come down the pike.In the late 80's she and I worked as a duo doing a lounge gig in Colorado Springs . We performed there five nights a week and stayed there for 18 months. The owner wanted us to stay forever.

Stevie use to do New York New York with a top hat and cane.She always brought the house down with that number.

These days she is a high school music teacher in Cos. and her students have won many awards. We talk often and are still the best of friends. She is just about ready to retire

from the teaching profession.

Far as twi holding people down.I don;t know about that because many of the musicians were on paid staff and today you won't find many ministries that pay anything at all.I know cause I attend a mega church and about all I get for my efforts is a thank you. Which Is fine .

Yes yes Stevie Kay was one of the best that ever come down the pike.In the late 80's she and I worked as a duo doing a lounge gig in Colorado Springs . We performed there five nights a week and stayed there for 18 months. The owner wanted us to stay forever.

Stevie use to do New York New York with a top hat and cane.She always brought the house down with that number.

These days she is a high school music teacher in Cos. and her students have won many awards. We talk often and are still the best of friends. She is just about ready to retire

from the teaching profession.

Far as twi holding people down.I don;t know about that because many of the musicians were on paid staff and today you won't find many ministries that pay anything at all.I know cause I attend a mega church and about all I get for my efforts is a thank you. Which Is fine .

Ted, glad to hear she is doing fine in Colorado. I work 3/4 time as a church musician at a Lutheran Church, as organist, choir director, handbell conductor for 3 octaves, have in the past been accompanist for children's choir, and play drumset/percussion and sometimes keyboardist for our Contemporary Praise Ensemble called Justified By Faith, and yes I am paid a salary of $17k per year. Stay cool there in FL. God Bless, Thomas