• Uneventful. Had a nice time, got from point A to point B
    • The driver or other occupant was "weird"
    • The driver or partner was a screaming nutcase
    • I was threatened, with physical harm, or threats of sexual advances
    • Experienced minor sexual contact
    • was robbed
    • experienced major sexual contact or physically beaten
    • Never hitch-hiked.
    • Other. Please explain, the car crashed, etc.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were somewhere around

Barstow, on the edge of the desert...

when the drugs

began to take hold.

. . ..

Wait'll you see

those goddamned bats, man.

~ Mine ~

[ Radio Continues ]

~ One toke over the line ~

- Let's give that boy a lift.

- What ? No !

- ~ [ Ends ]

- Wait !

We can't stop here.

This is bat country.

Hot damn ! I never rode

in a convertible before !

Is that right ? Well, I guess

you're about ready then, aren't ya ?

We're your friends. We're not

like the others, man. Really.

No more of that talk, or I'll

put the leeches on you. Understand ?

[ Gonzo Giggling ]

Get in.

How long could we maintain,

I wondered.

How long before one of us starts raving

and jabbering at this boy ?

What will he think then ?

This same lonely desert was the last

known home of the Manson family.

Would he make that grim connection

when my attorney starts screaming...

about bats and huge manta rays

coming down on the car ?

If so, well, we'll just have to

cut his head off and bury him somewhere.

- 'Cause it goes without saying

that we can't turn him loose.

- [ Muttering ]

source

Me with two girls,get picked up by an old guy,He starts going realfast like 100 plus

tell him to slow down as we are getting out of his carHesays he is the devil.

I tell him either you stop and let us out or I am going to yank his head off his body.

@#$#$$ He does we get another ride with someone going much slower.

A learning expierience?.....Learn more than you will in Genesis?Well at least Genesis won't kill you.

I hitched a lot in the '60s, in my pre-Way days. My bad experiences far outweigh the good. So much for the good old days.

I tried to vote on the car crash thing but it wouldn't let me. I got dragged outside the vehicle for about 100 feet but was not seriously injured. It's only a matter of time before reality comes crashing down on the SOWERS little flirtation with death and danger.

Of the choices given, several happened to me; I hitched a lot. I voted for uneventful because that was the mean. *I* was weird, so that one is moot. I got sexually assaulted AND robbed, but I also got picked up by people with drugs who took me more than 1,000 miles.

Most people who pick up hitchers just want to talk to somebody and they expect you to listen. I did a lot of hitching with a guitar. A musical instrument, a pet, a female, are among that which might get you a ride from someone who normally doesn't pick up hitchers.

I personally was not afraid to hitch. Between 1970 and 1984 which was the last time I did it, I must have covered 5 digits miles over all. The robbery and the sexual assault were the exception. No bad situations with police, either, to speak of. For twi to require a whole program of people to do it? Reminds me of that TV show the amazing race. Those people have to do weird things, some of which seem dangerous. They have a million dollar "carrot" dangling in front of them and they must have to sign a million waivers as well, but did twi have any legal problems from any hitching mishaps? Like Ken Barden? The lead accident? Don't recall ever hearing/reading about that.

during my last year of high school. It was "minor" sexual contact.

other words, groped by an elder in society..

I haven't told anybody anything regarding this.. as of now.

I voted the "minor" sexual contact.

it is not a "big deal" here. It is the "eternal" debriefing. doesn't bother me..

Of the choices given, several happened to me; I hitched a lot. I voted for uneventful because that was the mean. *I* was weird, so that one is moot. I got sexually assaulted AND robbed, but I also got picked up by people with drugs who took me more than 1,000 miles.

Most people who pick up hitchers just want to talk to somebody and they expect you to listen. I did a lot of hitching with a guitar. A musical instrument, a pet, a female, are among that which might get you a ride from someone who normally doesn't pick up hitchers.

I personally was not afraid to hitch. Between 1970 and 1984 which was the last time I did it, I must have covered 5 digits miles over all. The robbery and the sexual assault were the exception. No bad situations with police, either, to speak of. For twi to require a whole program of people to do it? Reminds me of that TV show the amazing race. Those people have to do weird things, some of which seem dangerous. They have a million dollar "carrot" dangling in front of them and they must have to sign a million waivers as well, but did twi have any legal problems from any hitching mishaps? Like Ken Barden? The lead accident? Don't recall ever hearing/reading about that.

thank you for your contribution, friend..

i do so love that song

you can't kid a kidder or whatever that saying is

but i didn't know that then

it was just plain terrible and wrong with people who got frucking raped and rucking died

at least OWN UP TO IT AND PUT A STOP TO IT

please no excuses i don't now how they rationalized this

ps. i'm not a kidder so i don't know what the hell i'm talking about there

He knew better. Kinda like a pusher knows better than to consume the product he's selling.

from what I've seen.. the pusher promotes the product, so he can have some produce to consume.. my brother tried to figure out how there was fifty some ounces of marijuana in the room.. figure, at a break even deal, one might have about four or five ounces "free"..

I hear voices from the old guard. I hope that isn't all it is..

sorry. I'm just an observer..

i don't now how they rationalized this

Simple, they toss in a sound bite of VPP talking about how you can learn more about God by hitching than studying the Bible, especially if you combine it with the bogus "law of believing". It's an old public speaking ploy called, "speaking from a platform of success". We all thought VPP had reached a high level of success in dealing with spiritual matters so, as far as we were concerned, whatever he was saying must be true. It all goes back to us believing he had credibility.

I had great times hitchin' throughout the 70's--saw most of this country--nothing bad ever happened to me except i got stranded in a blizzard in Colorado one time in which i darn near froze to death -- but that was my own fault--I met some nice people, some that were a little strange but OK, and a few ethereally stoned other worldly characters that made life interesting...

For me it was a good adventurous time in my life--I never knew what was going to happen next...and I really liked it that way...i could be anywhere and anything could happen....

Im standin on a corner in Winslow Arizona

Such a fine sight to see

Its a girl my lord in flat bed ford

slowin down to take a look at me...

yea ---I liked my hitchin times

A friend of mine, who is now deceased (R.I.P., Billy.), after hearing "MacArthur Park" for the first time, stuck his thumb out in Cleveland, Ohio. Within minutes, a driver stopped. When he inquired my friend's destination, he told him, "MacArthur Park". The driver said he was on his way to L.A. and took him all the way there. Of course, his trip back took 3 or 4 months but, that's another story.

Edited by waysider