GreaseSpot Cafe

Lured

pawtucket

I came across this today and thought you might enjoy reading it. The blogger has been a lurker on GSC for years. She is writing about her time in twi. Below is parts one and two.

http://open.salon.co...011/04/21/lured

http://open.salon.com/blog/trilogy/2011/04/24/lured_to_the_cult_part_2

Edited by pawtucket

Yeppers! It's me again, the proverbial pain-in-the-arse regarding 'mind control'. :evildenk:

"I was manipulated to believe that I had made my own decision."

Errmm, you did make your own decision. ... Really. You were lied to, intimidated, even threatened with spiritual harm, ... but the final result was you made your decision to get involved, ... and it was your decision to get out.

"... even threatened with spiritual harm." How many times has this occurred within churches which aren't regarded as having 'mind control', hmmm? As in if you don't accept Jesus Christ as you Savior leads you to hell? ... How 'cultic' is that? How much of a 'mind control tactic' is that? ... It isn't? ... Why? ... Because it is regarded as a common belief?

Also, I wonder how many 'cult experts' are called upon as 'experts' since the Supreme Court made its Frye standard ruling back in 1993, tightening the scientific standards courts are to use regarding so-called 'experts' in their testimony? How would 'experts' like Dr. Margaret Singer fare with her 'mind control' theories?

Errmm, you did make your own decision. ... Really. You were lied to, intimidated, even threatened with spiritual harm, ... but the final result was you made your decision to get involved, ... and it was your decision to get out.

This is the brand of psychology known as "Cognitive Behaviorism". It has its advantages and disadvantages, but can be helpful in overcoming a hurtful past. However, forcing it on someone else is another story...

"... even threatened with spiritual harm." How many times has this occurred within churches which aren't regarded as having 'mind control', hmmm? As in if you don't accept Jesus Christ as you Savior leads you to hell? ... How 'cultic' is that? How much of a 'mind control tactic' is that? ... It isn't? ... Why? ... Because it is regarded as a common belief?

The difference here that is important to highlight is that fire and brimstone preachers attach the consequence to not accepting Jesus as Savior. Cults such as TWI attach the consequence to leaving the group. The latter is much more of a mind control scenario through fear tactics and group think.

Also, I wonder how many 'cult experts' are called upon as 'experts' since the Supreme Court made its Frye standard ruling back in 1993, tightening the scientific standards courts are to use regarding so-called 'experts' in their testimony? How would 'experts' like Dr. Margaret Singer fare with her 'mind control' theories?

Legally there is a greater barrier wrapped up in religious freedom than there is in scientific standards when it comes to cult behavior.

"The difference here that is important to highlight is that fire and brimstone preachers attach the consequence to not accepting Jesus as Savior. Cults such as TWI attach the consequence to leaving the group. The latter is much more of a mind control scenario through fear tactics and group think."

To carry that a step farther, with fire and brimstone scenarios, the consequences are attached to "IN-action", whereas, with the cult scenario, the consequences are attached to "action".

There is probably less tendency for a person to care about something they HAVEN'T done than something they HAVE done. (ie: exit the group)

Edited by waysider

oh shut up garth

i hope one day you get lured into buying a used car

sorry i know that was a stupid thing to say

but you really need to think about people and their past experiences and their weaknesses and where their minds are at and who prey upon them

i don't understand why you don't get it

or are you just hung up in the terminology like the way was?

ps. i think most those "mind control" experts are .... holes

same with deprogrammers etc

• Upvote 1

Like I said before, even if you were the one who made the decision, if that decision was based on flawed information or even deliberately false information, the outcome of the decision was not entirely decided by you. Therefore, the final outcome was "controlled" by someone other than yourself. To my thinking, that is how I perceive the meaning of "mind control". And, we made a lot of decisions in The Way that were based on sub-standard information.

Edited by waysider

• 1 month later...