GreaseSpot Cafe

Harold Camping May 21 Rapture prediction

Jbarrax

I just caught the end of a story on Weekend Edition (NPR's Saturday version of Morning Edition) about a group of Christians who believe that the Church will be raptured on May 21 (2 weeks from today).

The predictions come from an old Fundamentalist by the name of Harold Camping who's done this gig before. He predicted it would happen on September 6, 1994. I don't think he got that one right.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting and worthy of comment. So has anyone else heard about this guy? Why did he pick May 21, 2011? And why doesn't he know the difference between the gathering together of the Church and Judgment Day? Sheesh!

Here's a link to an article about him on NowPublic.com

Thanks for the link Waysider. I searched the forum for "May 21" and nothing came up. Guessed I should have thought to look for The end of the World.

I still don't get how people can associate the Rapture with destruction. Didn't Paul write that we would be saved from wrath by being gathered together? Oh wait, maybe I should post this on the other thread... :-)

mm mmm mmm 2 weeks to go?

If anyone is planning on leaving, please remember:

1) Clean underwear is a must every day, just like your mom taught you... There may not be laundry in the after life. Be sure to be wearing appropriate attire -

2) Be generous to your favorite charities after all, they may survive in some parallel universe where they will be able to benefit from your generosity here.

3) Leave enough pet food and water for your pets. If you're wrong and the world doesn't end, they will miss you but eating helps a broken heart.

--------

The world ends every day for some people, and each day the worlds begins for others. Despite claims to the contrary, it will be that way for a very long time. Any one who distracts you from caring for each other - coming or going - is selling something.

If nobodies buying no one will be selling.

• Upvote 1

May 21st is a Saturday.

I went down to the mountain, I was drinking some wine

I looked up into heaven, Lord, I saw a mighty sign

Writ in fire across the heaven, plain as black and white

Get prepared, there's gonna be a party tonight

Uh-huh, hey, Saturday night

One more Saturday night

Hey, Saturday night.

Reminds me of 1982, or whenever the planets were supposed to all line up. This was supposed to cause major destruction to the earth. So one of my friend's work buddies threw a 'going away party'. We'll see.

Edited by johniam

If you look at the story, these folks are absolutely 100% dead certain that the rapture is happening May 21st. I can't understand their certitude. Do they really have a little doubt deep down but aren't expressing it? They have quit jobs, spent their life savings.... I just don't understand their faith. Even back in my believer days I didn't have believing like this. Its like the Muslim suicide bombers whose faith is so strong they will commit suicide believing they are going immediately to Heaven as martyrs. I don't guess faith can really be explained, huh?

sudo

May 21st is a Saturday.

I went down to the mountain, I was drinking some wine

I looked up into heaven, Lord, I saw a mighty sign

Writ in fire across the heaven, plain as black and white

Get prepared, there's gonna be a party tonight

Uh-huh, hey, Saturday night

One more Saturday night

Hey, Saturday night.

Reminds me of 1982, or whenever the planets were supposed to all line up. This was supposed to cause major destruction to the earth. So one of my friend's work buddies threw a 'going away party'. We'll see.

I thought that was back in 91 or 93. There was a planetary alignment that one of the Science magazines said would cause most pagan cultures to be dancing in the streets. I think it involved Saturn if I remember correctly. Anyway, I remember being excited about it at the time. Now of course it's utterly irrelevant.

He's sure, and after May 21 there will be 5 months of dreadful happenings until the world finally explodes in a fireball five months later, in October 2011.

He's "not embarassed" by his wrong prediction earlier ("there was a question mark about that") but he is sure about the date this time. There's absolutely no doubt about it.

Maybe it's the date he gets raptured or whatever. Maybe he'll have a heart attack o a stroke (he is 89) and life as he knows it will end.

Well, I won't be quitting my job (not difficult since I don't have one) and I won't stop looking for a job either. I feel sorry for those who he's taken in, but it's for them to understand the Bible and know what God says. "Like a thief in the night" generally means without warning and without prediction, LOL. Not based on some "scientific evidence" allegedly found in the Bible.

I don't guess faith can really be explained, huh?

i dont know if faith is the word...faith sort of implies that there is a lot that is NOT known for certain...being so certain is more like ...delusion...

On May 22 it would be interesting to see a followup story to see what happens to these people who have sold everything off

I was just looking for something in Yahoo Answers and found this "question":

"For Those That Deny That May 21st is Judgment Day - What's Your Proof?"

There were apparently 27 answers but the moderators of that site have deleted the question.

No doubt the answers asked the questioner ("Ascender") for his/her "proof" that 21 May is Judgment Day...asked more - or probably less - politely.

I also found another question in Yahoo Answers.

Why's Harold Campings saying that the Rapture will be on May 21st and Judgement Day will be on October 21st?

Here's a link: Camping

Looks like the questioner has posed the question a good many times in different forms. Some people have even answered it! One person attempted a serious answer!! :confused:

So many people use the bible in ways it's not intended. While there would be numerical values that are relevant in the bible the question would be - is it within the bible to tell the exact time of something like "the rapture", loosely understood to be what Camping says it is. "Signs", indicators to specify exactly when that will be?

That next step is clearly not one that the writers of the material in the bible either knew or were able to articulate clearly. If they had, they would have - or you'd figure they would have tried to.

He goes a long way to ferret out this information as if it's a secret that needed to be uncovered. If it was that - then why didn't anyone including Jesus describe it that way? Nothing in what we read of the gospels or the epistles, in the accepted canon nor the apocryphal writings describe these events that way. There's no math noodling to indicate that when this and that happens, start counting and get to the date.

The significance of the message of the return of Christ and these future events is that it will happen in "God's timetable" and mankind is to live and move forward in our times in preparation, NOT knowing.

To that I'd add - is it even important to know THE date? And if so - why? If it's to be prepared, get 'er done and get 'er ready - we already know that. That message doesn't change.

I'm sure he means well but his pre occupation with this topic is actually a distraction. I'm sure there are lots of things he could be doing besides this.

It's his time.

Let's just see what comes out of the river....:wink2:

Do they have any kind of disclaimer, or pre-written press release in the case He does NOT come back?

:biglaugh:

Let's just see what comes out of the river....:wink2:

And I'm sure it won't be "pretty".

:biglaugh:

I got the reference the last time you quoted that..

:biglaugh: He he....well, that's real pur-dee, Ham!

I'm counting the days, JB. as I assume there's going to be a lot of stuff laying around loose and being the community minded person I am, if I'm still here I'd hate to see any flat screen TV's (over 60 inches) and cars (classic Buick's ) and of course, guitars - (Les Pauls anyone?) go to waste or worse, fall into the wrong hands.

If I'm gone, take what you want, all. :mooner: But do make sure I'm really "gone" or it will be a short visit for you, gar-awn-teed. :evilshades:

I started a thread on this somewhere around here. It's probabliy camping in Canaan's' land.:who_me:

Do they say what time it will happen?

I saw on TV last night that it is scheduled for 6PM..Im not sure if thats Eastern Daylight Time, Greenwich Mean Time, Western Westy Time, Great Rapture Rupture Time or something else.

What does one wear to a rapture?

casual? or is it more of a tie and jacket event?

I know Im fresh out of robes

• Upvote 1