GreaseSpot Cafe

Rome City on Endangered Building List in Indiana

pawtucket

10 minutes ago, Watered Garden said:

Grace VC, we were dismissed from FWC because our son, aged 10 1/2 and adopted by us at age 8, simply refused to behave. We probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. We weren't allowed to spend much time with him and he wasn't allowed to take his Ritalin. I don't worry about it too much any more; he's a wonderful man and I love him dearly. He wouldn't let them break him!

WG, why wasn't your son allowed to take Ritalin??  Isn't that a Prescription Drug??  I take Prescription Drugs; they are closely monitored by the VA. Most of the adults I know take at least one Prescription Drug a day; some more than one. Who gave TWI the right, to determine what Prescription Drugs were given to kids??  They weren't doctors; my doctor tells me what drugs, I should, and should not take.  Trust me WG, I would prefer not to take any meds; but there are some I have to have.  I think TWI was full of S--t, when it came to Medical Matters.  :angry:

• Upvote 1

I "got in the Way" when I worked for a surgeon who was involved. He was fairly balanced about healing, believing that God could also heal via medicine, surgery and the like. Some folks, though, including I'm pretty sure LCM, taught that sickness was indicative of sin and lack of believing. In the weeks after we returned from ROA 1994 where I had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I was subjected to hammering inquisitions, including one from C*** Z***, M.D., who had been a friend of ours from way back. He called me long distance and subjected me to an inquisition regarding my diagnosis, not to offer advice or compassion, but to make sure he had the right name on the list of people who had been hospitalized during the ROA 1994 for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure in retrospect it was a dang list of those whom the leadership in the area needed to watch for potential marking out and avoiding due to their lack of believing. The good doctor should have known better; this is an autoimmune disorder, likely brought on by stress and bad diet at Rome City! Wish I could have proved that, I'd have sued their pants off!

Oddly enough, the concept that sickness is secondary to sin is not exclusive to TWI. I've attended two churches, one a Grace Brethren and one an Acts 29 church plant based on the teachings of a certain pastor who is now headquartered in Arizona, which teach that if you're have a chronic disease it's because you are a chronic sinner. Nothing like casting the first stone, eh?

3 hours ago, Watered Garden said:

I "got in the Way" when I worked for a surgeon who was involved. He was fairly balanced about healing, believing that God could also heal via medicine, surgery and the like. Some folks, though, including I'm pretty sure LCM, taught that sickness was indicative of sin and lack of believing. In the weeks after we returned from ROA 1994 where I had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I was subjected to hammering inquisitions, including one from C*** Z***, M.D., who had been a friend of ours from way back. He called me long distance and subjected me to an inquisition regarding my diagnosis, not to offer advice or compassion, but to make sure he had the right name on the list of people who had been hospitalized during the ROA 1994 for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure in retrospect it was a dang list of those whom the leadership in the area needed to watch for potential marking out and avoiding due to their lack of believing. The good doctor should have known better; this is an autoimmune disorder, likely brought on by stress and bad diet at Rome City! Wish I could have proved that, I'd have sued their pants off!

Oddly enough, the concept that sickness is secondary to sin is not exclusive to TWI. I've attended two churches, one a Grace Brethren and one an Acts 29 church plant based on the teachings of a certain pastor who is now headquartered in Arizona, which teach that if you're have a chronic disease it's because you are a chronic sinner. Nothing like casting the first stone, eh?

WG, I guess all of us are sinners, why else would we need JC??  

Taking meds or seeking medical treatment was O.K. for Joe B. Leever in the local twig fellowship. Once you entered a program, such as Way Corps or FellowLaborers, though, the situation changed drastically. We were supposed to operate the *law of believing* to stay healthy. It's even embedded in the program principles. Admitting you needed outside help was tantamount to admitting you had spiritual weakness, maybe even being influenced by devil spirits. GASP! Nobody wants to be around that. It could rub off. It's like that guy on the bus that smells real bad. People move away.  I knew people who literally DIED trying to make this nonsense work. Then they were publicly berated, posthumously, for their supposed weakness. My, what a loving bunch of folks they were.

Remember when we did some kind of clean-up detail at Rome City, WG? It was when the place was first purchased. There were spas being fed by mineral springs or something and a big room where the former occupants processed medicinal herbs. There were still dried herbs in there that had been left behind when the place was vacated.We were on some kind of weekend mission or something. Maybe it was after you graduated. I'm not sure on that part.

49 minutes ago, waysider said:

Taking meds or seeking medical treatment was O.K. for Joe B. Leever in the local twig fellowship. Once you entered a program, such as Way Corps or FellowLaborers, though, the situation changed drastically. We were supposed to operate the *law of believing* to stay healthy. It's even embedded in the program principles. Admitting you needed outside help was tantamount to admitting you had spiritual weakness, maybe even being influenced by devil spirits. GASP! Nobody wants to be around that. It could rub off. It's like that guy on the bus that smells real bad. People move away.  I knew people who literally DIED trying to make this nonsense work. Then they were publicly berated, posthumously, for their supposed weakness. My, what a loving bunch of folks they were.

Remember when we did some kind of clean-up detail at Rome City, WG? It was when the place was first purchased. There were spas being fed by mineral springs or something and a big room where the former occupants processed medicinal herbs. There were still dried herbs in there that had been left behind when the place was vacated.We were on some kind of weekend mission or something. Maybe it was after you graduated. I'm not sure on that part.

Way, my feeling is this; if you need medical help, get it.  If you need to take medication, take it.  F- what the TWI said about Medical Matters; they didn't know Jack!

Waysider, I remember having the mother of all migraines that weekend and getting no help at all. There was not so much as an aspirin tablet available.

I remember either that or another weekend having LCM command me to "find some of your Fellow Laborers and sweep these steps." It was on the tip of my tongue to say "why don't you find some of your corps and have them do it" but I didn't.

Were there two occasions we were subleased to these people at Rome City? I remember our 2nd year we all had to sleep on cots in one big room, there was very little food and J. Mi$ne sent a couple of guys out to buy pizza. That was a fubar weekend in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Watered Garden said:

Were there two occasions we were subleased to these people at Rome City? I remember our 2nd year we all had to sleep on cots in one big room, there was very little food and J. Mi$ne sent a couple of guys out to buy pizza. That was a fubar weekend in my opinion.

I think that was the weekend we were sent to work on the newly purchased cultural center in St. Mary's.

5 hours ago, Watered Garden said:

Waysider, I remember having the mother of all migraines that weekend and getting no help at all. There was not so much as an aspirin tablet available.

I remember either that or another weekend having LCM command me to "find some of your Fellow Laborers and sweep these steps." It was on the tip of my tongue to say "why don't you find some of your corps and have them do it" but I didn't.

WG, Lincoln freed the slaves!  I'm glad I never went Corps; too much nonsense IMO.  Why didn't he sweep the steps himself; God forbid he do something useful.

Maybe he thought, "It's good to be king!" LOL.

the incident I referred to in replying to Waysider: We fellowlaborers were sent to RC on at least one occasion to help with the garden while the WC was doing something more important. I remember this incident because I had just gotten engaged and met some guy who knew Mr. Garden and we chatted for a while. I also remember the food was miserable, two pieces of burnt toast and water for breakfast. This always puzzled me because we were surrounded by gorgeous gardens and there was a huge kitchen. There was also a chicken coop with chickens and chickens lay eggs, which are good for breakfast.

The incident I had originally referred to: We were sent somewhere to do something over the weekend, probably what Waysider said. The top room of this building had been a ballroom with a restroom complete with shower at one end. There were about, I dunno, 20-30 of us who had been conscripted, er, volunteered for this assignment. We were all placed into this one room, with cots set up and linens, but no privacy. Our evening meal, after driving several hours, consisted of one measly hamburger and a handful of salad greens. To give him credit, our limb leader had a hissy fit and had a couple of guys collect money from all of us, whatever we could spare. I believe he chipped in a few bucks himself, and then sent them out to forage. This was a small town and it was late, so they were gone awhile and finally returned with pizza and pop. We gorged, took turns showering, and fell onto our hard little cots for a few hours sleep before we were put to work again.

Maybe I'm mixing these up. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since those glorious days of yesteryear.

6 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Indiana campus.  

Where I developed a temporary eating disorder.

We did chickens in the morning.

The rocket scientist in charge of the menu served fried chicken for lunch.

I vomited.

2 years later I could eat KFC.

Chock, I'm surprised you can eat chicken at all.  I think if I had to kill chickens, I would never eat another one.:realmad:

1 minute ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Chock, I'm surprised you can eat chicken at all.  I think if I had to kill chickens, I would never eat another one.:realmad:

Good lean protein healthy, delicious if prepared correctly.   

One of the list of phobias / dysfunctions I had to get over after leaving the Way.    If chicken is undercooked it still will trigger me a little.

3 hours ago, chockfull said:

Good lean protein healthy, delicious if prepared correctly.   

One of the list of phobias / dysfunctions I had to get over after leaving the Way.    If chicken is undercooked it still will trigger me a little.

Chock, I love Chicken, but I would not want to kill one.  I guess I'm too Chicken to do that!

• 3 weeks later...