GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI Leadership Double Standards

chockfull

The screaming thread got me thinking. TWI leaders, who are supposed to be the greatest examples of the doctrine they teach, are among the poorest. Did any of you experience double standards between what TWI leadership enforced on everyone else and how they lived?

Discuss.

Leadership was all about getting served. They rehashed some one elses teaching once a week and made sure it was in the 10 min time frame. They repeated the all important directives from above(BOT). In return they got their houses, lawns etc taken care of. Some had live in servants( limb staff etc) who fixed them meals and cleaned up after them, some had child care when ever they wanted--no scrambling for a sitter for them!. When they 'took a stand' it was usually to ream out some poor believer with a real need.

As a twig leader, my only real concern was the back and forth between the members of my twig and me, just enjoying each other's company. Sharing our lives, learning together, helping each other with the day to day stuff. But anytime I attended a coordinators' meeting with the branch leader, the meeting was a rigid lecture, some inappropriate snarks, nosy questions about me and my twig members, and a reminder to keep those abundant sharing envelopes coming. I always left those meetings feeling like crap. That right there should have told me something was rotten in Denmark, but I couldn't see it at the time.

Maybe that was more like a peek behind their false front than an example of a leadership double standard. I'm speaking of how it was in the mid 1970s, but it was likely similar (or worse) later on.

Wierwille was the poster-child of hypocrisy in this area. "Keep it in your pants.", he admonished at WOW training one year. Too bad he didn't listen to his own advise.

He also told some corps to quit smoking so they could use the money for cigarettes to spend on

their corps tuition...while continuing to chain-smoke.

Speaking about smoking.. It always bothered me that Wierwille would smoke on stage at the ROA while smoking was prohibited for everyone else in the tent. The excuse that it was OK because he was the MOG rang hollow.

sudo

Speaking about smoking.. It always bothered me that Wierwille would smoke on stage at the ROA while smoking was prohibited for everyone else in the tent. The excuse that it was OK because he was the MOG rang hollow.

sudo

And......after years of sitting thru various Advanced Classes, WHY weren't we seeing any dynamic revelation or power manifested by wierwille and top brass?

WHY were all wierwille's "stories" back in the 1940s and 1950s all dusty and crusted over? WHERE was the power of God in wierwille's life TODAY?

The MOG tag was ringing hollow.

And......after years of sitting thru various Advanced Classes, WHY weren't we seeing any dynamic revelation or power manifested by wierwille and top brass?

WHY were all wierwille's "stories" back in the 1940s and 1950s all dusty and crusted over? WHERE was the power of God in wierwille's life TODAY?

The MOG tag was ringing hollow.

I've begun to suspect that the reason the stories are all so old was plausible deniability. They may never have happened back then either.

sudo

Much of my time in TWI I lived near HQ so I spent many a Sunday there and always knew people working there. One of recuring themes in casual conversations was meal times. With all the "Healthy lifestyle" themes TWI pushed was the "Healthy" meals. The staff would be fed health food with health seasonings and in somewhat controlled healthy proportions. (Men who worked in heavy labor conditions got necessarily larger portions.)

Part of the luck honor of getting to sit at VeePees' table was in getting to eat good old american food in american portions with real salt and pepper. :biglaugh:

The official reasoning was VeePee and BOT were too old and set in their ways to eat the rabbit food. :blush:

(In the '70s I was a practicing mostly health food vegeterian so I watched TWIs' food trips closely. In the mid '70s they really were pushing the "rabbit food" diet. It proved unworkable, as too many people raised on a typical american diet ended doing poorly and getting sick off it. Toward the end of the '70s diet was modified to an odd blend health food and more substantial but still not quite normal foods.)

Part of the luck honor of getting to sit at VeePees' table was in getting to eat good old american food in american portions with real salt and pepper. :biglaugh:

The official reasoning was VeePee and BOT were too old and set in their ways to eat the rabbit food. :blush:

Head table, no double standard there! The common folk got kelp/sea salt/cayenne for seasonings. Someone somewhere determined that black pepper and regular salt were bad for you. BUT, you know who got the white salt/black pepper don't ya? Those super believers at the head table could believe to overcome the damage that those seasonings would cause but don't you run of the mill folks try it.

Ding, ding, ding......we have a WINNER!

tell them what they won, Johnny Olson :smilie_kool_aid::biglaugh:

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Wierwille was the poster-child of hypocrisy in this area. "Keep it in your pants.", he admonished at WOW training one year. Too bad he didn't listen to his own advise.

If he was referring to keeping his wallet/cash in his pants, he certainly did that.