GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball Season 2011

Raf

Grew up a Yankee fan and will always be happy when they win.

Grew into being a Marlins fan and cannot believe the way their season fell apart this year.

Looking at the landscape this year, I'll be very, VERY surprised if the Phillies do not win the World Series this year.

Thoughts?

The Phil's are my main concern.. Im a Red Sox fan... whether they finish first or second they are looking good being 7.5 up in the wild card--with some of the injured due back before playoff time.

A tough draw in the American League will be whoever has to face Detroit in the first round..Justin Verlander will be pitching twice for them in a five game series and has had a dominant year...that will be a tough round no matter who gets them..

The sox have done well against Texas and the Yanks, so as always during the playoffs it will be who "jells" and is on top of their game at the time.

I like the Sox chances in the AL but unless catastrophe strikes Philadelphia such as Halliday and Lee both going on the DL, or there is some sort of divine intervention which occasionally does seem to happen every once in awhile in baseball, I cant see anyone beating Philly. They are just too strong all the way around.

If it does end up being the Red Sox/Phillies--I'll not only be praying for divine intervention on behalf of the sox but probably have the Philly voodoo dolls out as well :)

On the plus side who would have ever thought 15-20-30 years ago that perennial losers and jokes of their leagues like the Sox and Phillies would both enter golden periods at the same time?

I don't follow baseball, but I do follow the playoffs. I looked up the last 7 World Series games and only once did the losing team win more than I game. No doubt due to some fine pitching and teams really playing in their zone. Out of the 7 series, 3 of them were sweeps. I want to see a series go 6 or 7 again. But, again, because of today's major league pitching that doesn't seem likely.

• 1 month later...

I don't follow baseball, but I do follow the playoffs. I looked up the last 7 World Series games and only once did the losing team win more than I game. No doubt due to some fine pitching and teams really playing in their zone. Out of the 7 series, 3 of them were sweeps. I want to see a series go 6 or 7 again. But, again, because of today's major league pitching that doesn't seem likely.

Interesting data... I wasn't aware it was always that one sided... Course, I agree with you this year.. the AL just doesn't seem to have anything that great. Not compared to the Phillies that is..

in a word---Fat and entitled---they started out 2-10 in April and in September were 7-20, In between those times they had the best record in baseball but were never in shape and the whole year never had any 'fire'. A lot of players mailed it in.

I like the Red Sox, some years I really love the team, this year --not so much--they never looked or played like they really cared all that much what happened. I had a hard time building any enthusiasm for this team..they didn't seem to have much at all.

Too much of a "whatever" attitude...

Terry Francona took the blame upon himself and is now gone but he is the one of a small handful that I'd really want to see come back

in a word---Fat and entitled---they started out 2-10 in April and in September were 7-20, In between those times they had the best record in baseball but were never in shape and the whole year never had any 'fire'. A lot of players mailed it in.

I like the Red Sox, some years I really love the team, this year --not so much--they never looked or played like they really cared all that much what happened. I had a hard time building any enthusiasm for this team..they didn't seem to have much at all.

Too much of a "whatever" attitude...

Terry Francona took the blame upon himself and is now gone but he is the one of a small handful that I'd really want to see come back

The Yanks are pitching AJ Burnett tonight and that's not good. So...the middle relievers better be ready.

Looks like the Yanks came through.. Only I was rooting for Detroit on that one, and they still might win the series..

In the AL, I don't see the Rangers being much of a threat if they win the ALCS with their terrible pitching that is sometimes good but mostly just mediocre or bad. And NY is the same.. Detroit, I don't know that much about..

I heard there was no discipline -- players not in the game drinking beer and such. I gotta wonder...where was the "C" man, Jason Varitek? Could it be that he was drinking beer with them?

I heard there was no discipline -- players not in the game drinking beer and such. I gotta wonder...where was the "C" man, Jason Varitek? Could it be that he was drinking beer with them?

I dont know what was up with Varitek, he has always been a team guy--but its a little strange when the captain is the third string catcher. Thats gotta be a tough position to lead from--Even the other veterans and genuine team guys--Ortiz, Wakefield etc. seemed to have a "meh" attitude most of the year.

Its tough to know for sure what went on on the inside the Red Sox are pretty much a closed corporation and deal with things in house and there is not a lot of public talk the way there had been in decades passed.

But one thing was certain there was never any real fire in the team and from the outside it lacked the cohesiveness of a championship team.

Talent is good but it only goes so far. I'd give more of a shot to 25 average players that love to play baseball and will do anything to win than I would to a team of so called stars that expect success and have given up the will to fight for it....

anyway--this should be an interesting winter in Boston.

John Lackey could be traded for a used bucket of balls and Carl Crawford for a peanut vendor and the Sox would be way ahead to start 2012 <_<

On the plus side--we have 3 game 5's tonight!

This should be really fun

That's a tough one--it's sort of contrary to my nature to root for the Yanks--It's deeply ingrained, although not as bad as in some years---can a leopard change his spots?

i dont dislike them this year--they are agood team--but Im really not sold out or rooting for anyone at this point

What I really want to see is good and exciting baseball---I have to admit I have a soft spot for underdogs--

I don't know who will win tonight's game 5 in Philadelphia. Very possibly the Phillies. I can't help but be impressed with how the Cards made the playoffs. In late August they got swept at home by the Dodgers and I'd all but given up on them. But they have matched the Phillies pretty well. The games have been close. Plus David Freese has stepped up. Everybody's always talking about Pujols, Holliday, and Berkman, but even in the regular season Freese has gotten some clutch hits.

But Halliday is tough. He probably will get the job done. Going against Carp it should be a great game, though.

quote: I don't follow baseball, but I do follow the playoffs. I looked up the last 7 World Series games and only once did the losing team win more than I game. No doubt due to some fine pitching and teams really playing in their zone. Out of the 7 series, 3 of them were sweeps. I want to see a series go 6 or 7 again. But, again, because of today's major league pitching that doesn't seem likely.

Yeah, 7 game series' are always exciting. In the 50s there were 5 seven game series', in the 60s, 6 - 70s, 5 - 80s, 4 - but in the 90s and 2000s, 2 each. Hmm. Maybe it IS the pitching.

There isn't a lot to say about A-Rod. He wasn't into the game, clearly.

Whenever the camera's were on A-Rod you could tell he wasn't focused, he looked $32,000,000 miles away.

Is he still under contract for next year?

Is he still under contract for next year?

SIX more years.

Maybe if we paid Texiera and A-Rod a few more million they'd show up for the playoffs

at $23M and $32M, they make $13 Million more than the entire Rays TEAM

Rays Payroll

A couple of really great games last night!

I liked the post game interview in Milwaukee which consisted of two words--F**K YEAH!! :biglaugh::anim-smile:

<iframe src="http://videos.sportsgrid.com/embed/player/?r=4364729954395443&content=T9HTGT2VQJ912Q21&widget_type_cid=svp&read_more=1" width="500" height="415" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Edited by mstar1

quote: I don't know who will win tonight's game 5 in Philadelphia. Very possibly the Phillies.

Surprise, surprise! Hope Ryan Howard's OK. Cards are in a low pressure position; nobody expected them to be here, nobody expects them to win. Every game they play is borrowed time.

Not knocking the Brewers team, they're really good, but if I was going to be at any of the STL games I'd think about holding a sign which said "Hey Nyger! Did you take your ritalin today?"

Not hearing much in the way of comments from Brandon Phillips or Marty Brenneman these days.

After watching the ALC last night I don't need a crystal ball to tell me who's going to the world series. The Rangers have my bet to win in all.

They are dominating the series no matter what happens tonight.

The Tigers did win today, I just found out, but it won't matter.

Edited by Human without the bean

Those first two World Series games were tight. Too tight. Tight to the point of near boredom.

Between a pitcher's duel and a slugfest, I'll take a slugfest any day of the week.

Another one-run game and I'm gonna sleep through games 3 and 4.

In games one and two I think each team studied the other team out, and got their jitters out of the way. So now, (my guess) is- - - we will see a slugfest

Go RANGERS

Well, you definitely called game 3... A slugfest it was.. Interestingly, the Rangers didn't win that.

The Rangers only need to pull one more win out of that hat. Even with their "mediocre" pitching, they just might do it.

Could be. It really didn't look at all like The Rangers were going to win game 5 after

the many little league fumbling's that happened in the first 5 innings. That was some

major embarassing ( minor league) ball handling. They managed to pull it off even so.

The Cardinals went 1 for 12 with runners in scoring position. That don't cut it!