GreaseSpot Cafe

Weight Loss

OnionEater

Two years ago my weight was 244 pounds and I am only 5'-7". I really didn't eat that much but I ate all the wrong foods and didn't exercise. A year ago I had a heart attack and one stent put in, six months ago I had a triple by-pass and one didn't take and is drying up.

I now weigh 165 pounds and it wasn't really that hard to change my life style when it comes to eating and exercise.

An expression I always hated was "If I can do it, anyone can". Not so, it took a heart attack for me.

My only diet plan was to watch my fat intake and limit it to only 25-30 grams per day and ride my bike every day.

(Along with six months of cardio-rehab three days a week.)

First, congratulations on you life style change OnionEater. You must be feeling a lot better too, (I'm guessing) and so, your living healthier so your heart must be healthier too. I could use a better diet now too, and a weight loss program. Thanks. That's inspirational. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, OE. What's your target weight?

Lots of simple substitutions can make a difference: eat fruit not candy, change French fries for a baked potato, etc.

If wannabe lessofme's must use a car, park on the far side of the car park, not in the nearest slot. Walk up one flight of stairs, walk down 3 or 4 instead of using an elevator. A pedometer (step counter) is quite good - set a target and each day try to take more steps.

My biggest thing is to avoid grazing. (If I eat a decent meal, I don't need to snack out.) So I keep my grazable items (cookies, cakes, candy) in the shop. If I'm bored and want some chocolate then I have to go (on foot or bike) to get it. So probably I won't (lazy critter that I am ( ... not really)).

Congratulations on making the lifestyle change, OnionEater! That's great. I'm right with you, having lost 52 lbs in the past two years or so. My blood pressure had been sky high (214/108) at my peak weight, which is when I said enough. Now, I've got another 12 to go, then I'll be at my goal. I started by following the Weight Watchers program, then once I got the hang of it I discontinued my monthly membership and just followed the plan on my own. Like you say, it's really not hard once you get started.

For me it was seeing those initial pounds come off, then it became a weekly contest I play against myself, how much can I lose this week vs last week. Some weeks are better than others, which is to be expected. I feel a LOT better now than I did 52 pounds ago, that's for sure, and my BP is normal again.

Congratulations!!! So nice to hear success stories :)

My big excuse for my over the top weight gain, in addition to creeping sloth and indolence of old age, was we had this baker where I work who loved what she did and put all her kindness into what she baked -- real goodies. Truly "like mom used to make." I enjoyed eating her stuff so much (and it was free in the employee dining room) I rolled out to 175 lbs. After that baker got a better job and left it was easy to come to my senses. I have lost 32 excess pounds and have 18 to go. I have pretty successfully quit candy and I put spinach and basil in my smoothies for added brain strengthening and overall I try to think before I eat, "Is this living to eat or eating to live?" Measurable goals are always helpful, and losing pounds are specific and give a sense of accomlishment.I hope to carry this over into more significant areas of my life, like losing bitterness and ugliness of spirit, and carry hope over into being a better person overall.

Edited by Kit Sober