GreaseSpot Cafe

What Was Your Favorite Treat When You Were A Kid

Human without the bean

I hadn't time for lunch this afternoon, so I stopped by a convenience store near where I was working, but I really couldn't decide on anything until I saw something that I realized I used to love when I was a kid, but I almost never buy them anymore. It was a Hostess Cherry Pie. Yum! :) As I was eating it slowly, savoring it, I thought back to my childhood and remembered this one incredible food really, literally, was ( to me ) my favorite all- time snack food, and had brought me such joy.

So I wanted to start this thread so I could share and find out what types of tid-bits that you enjoyed when you were young. Let's say that you had to be 16 years old and no older at the time. No doubt we may learn of some peculiar treats that will make us cringe like frog legs but we'll have to keep an open mind and we may even get to like something different (albeit a hostess cherry pie is not that different), that someone else enjoys.

I used to spend all my allowance money on candy and soda. Back then you could get a regular sized candy bar for a nickel and a gigantic sized one for a dime. But there was this ice cream store named Jersey Junction not far from where I lived. Single scoop - 10 cents, double - 20 cents, and triple - 25 cents. It's a wonder I still have any teeth left.

Me too-Darbys Mocha Chip Ice Cream--1/2 Pint for 35 cents.

Every once in a while I'll get an urge for a candy bar that I havent had or seen or thought of in 40 years---I can't remember them all right now but the memory of the taste will come back just for a second and it makes me smile--The last one I remember thinking about was "Bit O Honey", I also used to love Charleston Chews...I know there are others (some "squirrel" something or other penny candy) but I cant remember the names just now, maybe they'll come to me.

All that sugar probably effected my memory

Edit to Add a few I though of----

Bonomos Turkish Taffy

SweetTarts

Necco Wafers

Smarties

Razzles

DingDongs

Hohos...

I loved candy--almost any candy-- when I was a kid---you name it, I probably ate it---Its a wonder Im still alive

Edited by mstar1

We had a little grocery store about mid-way down the block called Pepi's. (Some of you guys would probably call it a "bodega".) Pepi lived in the back rooms and in the storefront he had cold cuts, cheeses, soda pop, dish soap and, best of all, penny candy. Red Hot Dollars, Bulls Eyes, candy cigarettes, fizzy sticks and all kinds of stuff. Once, my mother had a bunch of buttons sitting out for a clothing repair. Being just a little guy and not knowing any better, I scooped them up and headed for Pepi's. He let me spend them all on penny candy without batting a eye and later gave them back to my mother. That's how things were in the neighborhood. Everybody knew each other. It was like a little town inside a big town. (Maybe Opera Buff remembers the place. It was on Forestdale Ave.)

But, one of my all time favorite snack type things to do as a kid was to follow the sweet scent of blooming honeysuckle vine in the nearby cemetery. You take the flower and carefully extract that stringy thing in the center. As it emerges from the blossom, it brings with it one small drop of sweet nectar. Better than any penny candy could ever hope to be. I still think of that when I smell it in the evening air.

That sounds great----

I had forgotten about bullseyes--I definitely had my share of those--and loved them...

My neighborhood had "Mac's" for penny candy...I'd go in with a nickel and it would take 20 minutes for me to make up my mind. Id choose something then change my mind then change my mind again...and again meanwhile he was filling my little bag behind the counter then unlaoding it and refilling it again.

He was a cool guy---I never heard him complain once or be impatient while I was making the monumental decision of how to spend my nickel

Chunkies were always my favorite. The big fat chunk not the bar kind. I liked Mary Janes and also 100,000 bars.

But candy wasn't my favorite treat. My all time and still my very favorite treat is chocolate peanut butter ice cream made locally by VanDyk. It resembles vanilla fudge with a stripe of real peanut butter running through it.You can tell that the PB is real because it's a little salty.

C hunkies are amazing krys. Just a couple more things that I used to love as a kid.Both were different types of sandwiches.

I used to love mustard sandwiches. That's it. Straight mustard. The other sandwich was Best Foods sandwich spread. :)

C hunkies are amazing krys. Just a couple more things that I used to love as a kid.Both were different types of sandwiches.

I used to love mustard sandwiches. That's it. Straight mustard. The other sandwich was Best Foods sandwich spread. :)

Mustard sandwiches, with no cheese?

I ate those with cheese for a short time, and then cheese with butter sandwiches for a short time.

One of my friends actually switched to the mustard-cheese ones too, for a time.

As a kid, I liked Smarties- and still do, when I find them.

I haven't had them in a while, but I was introduced to "Willy Wonka's Everlasting Gobstopper (Jawbreakers)"

when I started high school. They weren't truly everlasting, but they lasted about an hour if you didn't

bite them. Then they started selling the "midgets" smaller versions. I liked those so much that I

actually added a little pouch to my belt (shaped like a backpack) and kept some there for a time.

Wow, haven't thought about that for a long time...

We had a little corner store owned by a chinese family.....my two favorites were the same as they are today.

Beef jerky ... only then it was fifteen cents

SWEET TARTS....can't remember the price but I am sure it was less that it is today.

So Jim....my little store was on the corner of 9th street and Santa Clara Avenue, across the street from the Santa Clara Pharmacy. Yours?

Hey Radar. It's been awhile.

I have to confess I never had a favorite shop in our hometown. I really liked The Factory but it wasn't a shop. OTOH, most weekends I'd drive to Dave's Smoke Shop in Berkeley. It was located in center of the great big brick parking structure just off of Telegraph. Licorice and a huge selection of magazines. My daughter tells me that the last time she stopped there it was gone. Her and I made many trips there when she was little and we needed to get out of the house for an hour or two.

Hostess Lemon Pies, Ring Dings - storebought.

Anything my Mom made, especially her Maple Walnut Cake with Maple Walnut Frosting...

sometimes my Dad & Brother would bring back Squirrels and she would cook them soooo delicious... (hey - I am not from teh swamp but 20 miles from Boston)

Always liked Snow with Maple Syrup over it...