GreaseSpot Cafe

Looking for good soup recipes

JavaJane

Yes. I have a recipe from a Vegee Magazine that is one of the best I've ever had, and I'm not even a vegetarian.

I almost lost the recipe, I found it before tw years and I used to make it a lot during those daze. It's called Everything Vegetable Soup. Awesome. You can add chicken too if you like. Make it Everything Vegetable and Chicken Soup. I'll search for it tomorrow and post it for you Java.

One of the Best sites for all recipes is Food.com one of my all time faves is a Chicken Tortilla soup recipe simmered all day in crock pot. One twist on the attached recipe; Instead of crushed tortilla chips, I take 10 corn tortillas cut them in strips and then small squares and pan fry them with garlic and cilantro until crisp. Stir into the crock pot ingredients and then simmer on low all day. the fried tortillas compeletely dissipate and thicken the soup. You can add some crushed tortilla chips on top for garnis.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-chicken-tortilla-soup-104086

OK Java. here's that recipe. Because it is a vegetarian meal, anything added like Chicken is optional of course.

EVERYTHING VEGETABLE SOUP

1/2 cup dried pinto beans

1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans

1/2 cup dried Great Northern beans

2 cups vegetable cooking water or water

1 Tbs. salt

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. chili powder

2 cups mixed vegetable juice

2 cups tomato juice

2 lbs. fresh tomatoes

1/2 cup dried lima beans

1 cup uncooked brown rice

3 medium onions, diced

3 medium carrots, sliced

3 ribs celery, sliced

3 medium unpeeled potatoes, diced

2 cups whole kernel corn

2 cups water

In a 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the first 9 ingredients

and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and simmer covered, 1 hour.

Remove the stem ends from the tomatoes, cut the tomatoes into chunks

and put through the blender. Add the tomatoes, the dried limas and the

brown rice to the mixture in the saucepan. Again bring mixture to a boil,

reduce heat and simmer, covered, until limas and rice are almost tender.

Add remaining ingredients and continue to simmer, covered, until

carrots are tender. This soup is quite thick, almost like a stew. If you

like yours a bit thinner, add more liquid. Serves 8 to 10

• 1 month later...

I love making soup with squash - Crown Prince is best - it's nothing unusual and you probably have heaps of pumpkin or squash recipes (more common / popular in the US than in the UK).

It's nice with a pinch of curry powder. Just a small pinch. Adds depth of flavor but you don't notice the curry taste.

Or with loads of garlic.

Or with anything else you fancy, really.

I love making soup with squash - Crown Prince is best - it's nothing unusual and you probably have heaps of pumpkin or squash recipes (more common / popular in the US than in the UK).

It's nice with a pinch of curry powder. Just a small pinch. Adds depth of flavor but you don't notice the curry taste.

Or with loads of garlic.

Or with anything else you fancy, really.

What??? No nutmeg???

• 2 weeks later...

My all time favorite is the turkey-soup-after-Thanksgiving, in which I dump the leftovers -- including some vegetables (e.g. green beans with mushrooms and onions), some mashed potatoes and dressing/stuffing for thickening, etc. (not sweet potatoes or other sweets, maybe a little cranberry sauce). It's always different, depending upon what was the menu, and wonderful :)

Anyway, received this documented version from a friend and thought you would like it:

Don't you even think about throwing away those turkey bones and carcass...

Turkey Carcass Soup

Made with turkey bones and the carcass, leftover stuffing, and leftover gravy, this recipe is the ultimate day-after Thanksgiving one pot meal. Easy and oh so goooood...mmmmmmmmm.

125-70_Turkey_soup_250.jpg

INGREDIENTS

1 turkey carcass, broken into pieces, turkey leg bones, and some leftover turkey if you have any.

2 1⁄2 cups leftover turkey stuffing

2 cups turkey gravy

3 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced

3 ribs celery with leaves, sliced

1 onion, chopped

1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 bay leaf

2 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled

(anything else leftover you might want to throw in)...optional

Salt and Pepper to taste...maybe some fresh or dried herbs if you think it needs it.

INSTRUCTIONS

Put all the ingredients with 10 cups the water into a large soup pot over medium heat, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir to break up all the clumps of stuffing and mix well. Let the soup simmer for about 1 1⁄2 hours. Add another 1 1⁄2 cups of cold water and any herbs you think it might need, let simmer for 10 more minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust the flavoring if necessary. Fish the bones out now if you want or are going to be serving at the table. Serve hot.

MAKES 10 CUPS

Gobble, gobble, gobble.

Same friend sent this one for Thanksgiving leftovers (or chicken)

Leftover Turkey (or chicken) Tortilla Soup

This simple recipe combines chicken stock, left over turkey, zucchini, and purchased salsa for a quick tasty tortilla soup. This is also a good use for leftover chicken and 'past-their-prime' corn tortillas.

Ingredients:

• 1 large zucchini, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups cubed cooked turkey (12 ounces)
  • 2 14-ounces cans reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil for frying tortillas
  • 6-inch corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried up crispy (can be baked in oven without oil instead)
  • Sour cream and cilantro (optional for garnish)
  • Lime wedges (optional for garnish)

In a large saucepan combine salsa and chicken broth and bring to boiling. Add turkey and zucchini. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until heated through. Serve in bowls...top with tortilla strips and then the optional toppings and serve the optional lime wedges along side the bowls of soup.

• 1 month later...

Split pea soup - this is the basic recipe: (I don't use all the herbs but use the primary veggies, and sub Dijon Mustard for the dry.).

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1848,154167-242199,00.html

I'd cook longer than that recipe online states, simmer for at least an hour or until vegetables are all softened.

After cooking complete, remove the veggies and peas from the liguid and blend/puree them. Consistency is up to you,

smooth and soupy or chunkier, whatever you like.

Add croutons, creme fraiche, or sour cream for the topping.