GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

it was the Smothers Brothers-but I can see why'd you'd think Simon and Garfunkel. John Lennon berated Dick Smothers at a Hollywood concert, though he loved brother Tommy. I think it was too harsh-still-Tommy was the mover and shaker of the team, and the one most concerned with social issues. That Dick was the straight man had nothing to do with it.

Just realizing that-without syndication years later-

IF I ever saw it at all-

I was a very young child.

*does a search*

Yep. You could have posted every single thing and I would never have gotten it.

I have never heard of this show as best as I can remember.

Without even hiway chiming in, I'm going to turn over all of the cards.

The show was called "Search." It was fast-paced, had good stars, and an interesting premise. It made me a Hugh O'Brian fan. (I thought he would have made a good Green Lantern, back in the day.) Most of the tech (earbugs, remote monitors and cameras) was sci-fi at the time, though all very doable today.

FREE POST

George

I actually googled it the other day, and thought it better to keep out of it. I'll take the free post.

This was a cartoon, though there wasn't really any movement-unless you count the human lips talking. This applies to 2 cartoons-one is probably easy for someone-if you can name both of them it's worth a gold star.

I actually googled it the other day, and thought it better to keep out of it. I'll take the free post.

This was a cartoon, though there wasn't really any movement-unless you count the human lips talking. This applies to 2 cartoons-one is probably easy for someone-if you can name both of them it's worth a gold star.

I know one of them.

In the movie "Spaced Invaders," three Martians wind up trick-or-treating with a young girl on Halloween. She realizes that they're actually aliens, but doesn't want to scare her mom, so she says that they're friends from California: Clutch, Spinner, and Paddlefoot. ;)

George

OK. One of the cartoons was "Clutch Cargo," an adventurer (Clutch); his son (Spinner); and their dachshund (Paddlefoot). Rather than spend money animating faces, they simply filmed actors reciting the lines and then superimposed their lips over the cartoon faces. It was actually a pretty creepy effect. I don't know if Clutch had his own show. When I grew up in Chicago in the 60's, episodes of CC were shown on the "Garfield Goose and Friends" kids' show, in the late afternoon.

I imagine I'll recognize the other "lips" cartoon when it's revealed, but I can't think of it, now.

George

the second one was a bonus anyway, so I'll reveal that it was Space Angel, made by the same studio, with the same lips thing as Clutch Cargo. They weren't sold as shows, but they were syndicated and usually included in TV stations local shows. I saw Clutch Cargo on Mr Goober in Connecticut, and Space Angel was run on a New York station in the afternoon, but don't recall who hosted it.

All this talk about Clutch cargo brings back another childhood memory:

This children's show was, like "Romper Room," originally franchised, rather than syndicated. After about a decade, it was syndicated, with the Chicago production being the most widely distributed. The primary character was taken from old Capitol Records logos.

George

the only primary character,besides the teacher, I remember from Romper Room, was the Do Bee ( don't be a Don't Bee )

He said the show was LIKE "Romper Room", which means that, whatever

it is, it is NOT "Romper Room."

All this talk about Clutch cargo brings back another childhood memory:

This children's show was, like "Romper Room," originally franchised, rather than syndicated. After about a decade, it was syndicated, with the Chicago production being the most widely distributed. The primary character was taken from old Capitol Records logos.

George

It's "Bozo", but please explain about the logo.

I may have misread Wikipedia:

Bozo was created as a character by Alan W. Livingston, who produced a children's storytelling record-album and illustrative read-along book set, the first of its kind, titled Bozo at the Circus for Capitol Records and released in October 1946. Pinto Colvig portrayed the character on this and subsequent Bozo read-along records. The albums were very popular and the character became a mascot for the record company and was later nicknamed "Bozo the Capitol Clown." Many non-Bozo Capitol children's records had a "Bozo Approved" label on the jacket. In 1948, Capitol and Livingston began setting up royalty arrangements with manufacturers and television stations for use of the Bozo character. KTTV in Los Angeles began broadcasting the first show, Bozo's Circus, in 1949 featuring Colvig as Bozo with his blue-and-red costume, oversized red hair and whiteface clown makeup on Fridays at 7:30 p.m.

Apparently, Bozo was a MASCOT for Capitol Records. It's not clear if his image was actually used on the records.

Chicago's "Bozo's Circus," with its high popularity and small studio, had a 12-year wait list for tickets. So, if you were already pregnant, it was too late to get your kid on the show!

WW is up.

George

"Have you ever been made love to by a Frenchman?"

"Not that I can recall!"

Based on the radio show. When the host prepared for the television show,

he chose to grow a moustache for it.

This show was honored with a commemorative stamp by the USPS.