GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

The pilot for this show was filmed in color. The series, however was filmed in black-and-white, because the producers didn't want to fork over the extra $10,000 per episode.

The opening credits were a parody of the credits of the "Donna Reed Show."

This show appeared at the same time as another show with a similar theme. Both shows were cancelled after two seasons. (I was surprised to find this out, as both series were quite memorable.)

George

I agree they should have,maybe seemed longer by constant reruns. Both series were tried again, sometimes with the same actors, but you can't go home again and they never worked (at least for me).

new show- The city this takes place in is .mentioned in the pfal class. It also starred a group of actors that seemed to not do much afterwards, though very popular at the time. It also concerned radio which just gave it away.

This short-lived TV show starred two women who were MUCH better known for other TV roles.

Their characters' names, "Carole Stanwyck" and "Sydney Kovak," were derived from the names of actresses Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, and Kim Novak. "Sydney" was supposed to make the character seem spunky. :rolleyes:

George

The stars are well-known blonde and brunette actresses.

They take over the detective agency left by their deceased ex-husband.

This short-lived TV show starred two women who were MUCH better known for other TV roles.

Their characters' names, "Carole Stanwyck" and "Sydney Kovak," were derived from the names of actresses Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, and Kim Novak. "Sydney" was supposed to make the character seem spunky. :rolleyes:

George

This is certainly an obscure show, but I remember it because of the interesting combination playing the leads. I also googled the title which I couldn't remember so I can't say it.

Hiway,

Tell us who the stars are, and then give us the googled title. (I assume you googled it from the stars' names, not from my clues).

George

No.

This show knocked "The Brady Bunch" off the air.

The star was known for faking heart attacks, so when he really had one, no one believed him until it was too late.

The star of this show was always seen wearing a sport coat, jacket, or long-sleeved shirt, because he had a prominent tattoo of a naked woman on his right forearm.

The title of the opening theme song is "The Streetbeater."

George

No.

This show knocked "The Brady Bunch" off the air.

The star was known for faking heart attacks, so when he really had one, no one believed him until it was too late.

The star of this show was always seen wearing a sport coat, jacket, or long-sleeved shirt, because he had a prominent tattoo of a naked woman on his right forearm.

The title of the opening theme song is "The Streetbeater."

George

You're talking about Redd Foxx. (Real name, Fred Sanford Jr.)

So, this is "Sanford and Son", one of the US' 70s shows inspired by or based on

a UK show (in this case, 'Steptoe and Son'.)

I was thinking about this the other week. Dick Shawn died in a similar way.

Redd Foxx was with friends, so they thought he was just fooling around

when he had a heart attack. Dick Shawn was doing an experimental comedy

routine onstage, and the stagehands had explicit instructions to never go

out and interfere NO MATTER WHAT. So, he fell over and collapsed onstage,

and everyone was sure it was part of the act. (A more normal part, even,

since he would lie motionless on the stage during the intermission.)

Eventually a stagehand figured whatever the joke was, it had long gone flat,

and checked on Shawn, but it was much too late. On the other hand,

Shawn would have wanted to go out that way if he was asked.

So, perhaps the story had a happy ending.

You're talking about Redd Foxx. (Real name, Fred Sanford Jr.)

So, this is "Sanford and Son", one of the US' 70s shows inspired by or based on

a UK show (in this case, 'Steptoe and Son'.)

Correct. Interestingly, the writers of "Sanford and Son" figured that they could adapt a lot of plots from "Steptoe and Son," since the latter was already in its fourth season. Imagine their dismay when they found out that "Steptoe and Son" only aired four episodes per season! :lol:

George