GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

that is an awesome clue

TAXI

It is "TAXI."

Personally, I didn't think the clue was that good, but ok, I can be a hard critic on my

own stuff.

Elaine Nardo:"I'm only going to be working here part-time. I'm not really a taxi driver."

Alex Rieger: "Oh yeah, I know. We're all part-time here. You see that guy over there? Now, he's an actor. The guy on the phone, he's a prize fighter. This lady over here, she's a beautician. The man behind her, he's a writer. Me? I'm a cab driver. I'm the only cab driver in this place."

It was a good clue because it forced us to consider the setting: it would have to be the kind of job one COULD take while pursuing another career. The obvious choice was restaurant worker, but it made no sense with Cheers or Alice. So I was stumped. Took me a while to consider "cab driver" as a profession that fit the description.

This TV series featured a recurring character who was played by the real-life father of the female lead. In the final episode, it is revealed that he (the character) is the father of the title character (not the female lead). The title character is a con-man who assumed the identity of a fictitious character created by the female lead character. (Are you following along?) The title character never actually knew his own real name, and when he learned the recurring character was, in fact, his father, he finally was able to ask him. The recurring character has a heart attack and dies before he can answer.

These short-lived shows all appeared around 2000. Get one right to win the round.

1.) An exotic dancer, cryogenically frozen in the year 2001, is accidentally thawed out over five centuries later by two female warriors who are fighting against evil robots which have taken over the world. The three join forces and try to escape the underground caverns to which humanity has been banished, meeting up with all sorts of strange creatures along the way.

2.) American spy/adventurer Jack Stiles is sent by Thomas Jefferson to the tiny South Pacific island of Polau Polau to work with British spy Emilia Rothschild to stop the advances of the French Emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte in his bid for world conquest.

3.) From his base in the Florida Keys, Judson Cross has assembled a team of young renegades, each with his own extraordinary skills and willing to risk it all for the love of adventure. Their methods may not be orthodox, they may risk their own safety, but they always get the job done.

George

These short-lived shows all appeared around 2000. Get one right to win the round.

1.) An exotic dancer, cryogenically frozen in the year 2001, is accidentally thawed out over five centuries later by two female warriors who are fighting against evil robots which have taken over the world. The three join forces and try to escape the underground caverns to which humanity has been banished, meeting up with all sorts of strange creatures along the way.

2.) American spy/adventurer Jack Stiles is sent by Thomas Jefferson to the tiny South Pacific island of Polau Polau to work with British spy Emilia Rothschild to stop the advances of the French Emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte in his bid for world conquest.

3.) From his base in the Florida Keys, Judson Cross has assembled a team of young renegades, each with his own extraordinary skills and willing to risk it all for the love of adventure. Their methods may not be orthodox, they may risk their own safety, but they always get the job done.

George

I'm curious about #3.

2 should be "Jack of All Trades."

1 is definitely "Cleopatra 2525" (with the theme song rewriting the previous '2525' song.)

I think that tanked early, but how was "exotic dancer adventurer" a hard sell to the public?

A round about adopted anime that aired in the US decades ago. Answer any to take the round.

1) This cartoon about a 5-member team was censored to drop a lot of violence, and one character

picked up a weird stutter that covered the chronic cursing he did when it was time to do

the dubbing into English. The art in the final version was done in 2 styles, since there

was the original, and the adaptation added exposition and another character, and did that

in a noticeably different style. They also added a scene they used ad nauseum of the

characters when not at work. (The US audience wouldn't have accepted their day-jobs

as acceptable fare for a "kids" show like all cartoons supposedly are.) That having been

said, one scene was still left into an episode, where the team leader was loafing in an

office, was summoned, and ran to a prop plane, launching it into the sky before changing

it into a jet. Nobody ever addressed the obvious question as to where he was.

2) This cartoon was adapted from 3 different cartoons and mashed into one long story with

3 different story arcs down the decades, each one succeeding the previous ones. A fanzine

specifically for their fans started up, called "Protoculture Addicts."

3) This cartoon's first season was centered around the year in which the characters had

to save the Earth, and space travel related to saving the Earth. Later seasons involved

"hot wars" (active fighting) with forces like "the Comet Empire."

I'm curious about #3.

2 should be "Jack of All Trades."

1 is definitely "Cleopatra 2525" (with the theme song rewriting the previous '2525' song.)

I think that tanked early, but how was "exotic dancer adventurer" a hard sell to the public?

I know I wrote an answer to this, but maybe I hit "back" instead of "add reply." I do that sometimes.

1 Was Cleopatra 2525. Of the stars of the show, Gina Torres has had the most success (lead roles in "Firefly" and "Suits," and recurring roles in others. Vicky Pratt starred in "Mutant X," but not much else. Jennifer Sky (Cleopatra) never did much after the show.

2 was Jack of All Trades. I loved Vern Troyer as Napoleon. (He even had a large bodyguard which he called "Maxi-Me"!)

3 was Adventure, Inc., starring Michael Biehn and Karen Cliché.

Back to WW's new clued. #1 seems familiar, but I don't recognize the others at all.

George

I know I wrote an answer to this, but maybe I hit "back" instead of "add reply." I do that sometimes.

1 Was Cleopatra 2525. Of the stars of the show, Gina Torres has had the most success (lead roles in "Firefly" and "Suits," and recurring roles in others. Vicky Pratt starred in "Mutant X," but not much else. Jennifer Sky (Cleopatra) never did much after the show.

2 was Jack of All Trades. I loved Vern Troyer as Napoleon. (He even had a large bodyguard which he called "Maxi-Me"!)

3 was Adventure, Inc., starring Michael Biehn and Karen Cliché.

Back to WW's new clued. #1 seems familiar, but I don't recognize the others at all.

George

Small world. I hadn't realized Gina Torres was one of them. Then again, it's not like I

really was into the show. (Maybe it aired at awkward times for me, since that usually

was a death-knell for a series for me. That's how I gave up on ST:Voyager.)

I would recognize her from "Firefly", of course.

I wouldn't recognize Vicky Pratt at all. I remember reading an interview of Jennifer Sky

when the show aired. As an irrelevant side-note, there's a music video for Fatboy Slim's

first hit, "the Rockafella Skank." One actress in it bears a striking resemblance to

Jennifer Sky. Someone asked about it on Sky's IMDB page, and someone claiming to be her

replied that it wasn't her. They never replied again, so we don't know if it was her.

I think it was, but I'm not confident in that thought without something more substantial

to support it.

I've never heard of "Adventure Inc", I think. I barely recall Karen Cliché from

a different show that I also barely watched before it went off the air.

A round about adopted anime that aired in the US decades ago. Answer any to take the round.

1) This cartoon about a 5-member team of space ninjas was censored to drop a lot of

violence, and one character picked up a weird stutter that covered the chronic cursing

he did when it was time to do the dubbing into English. The art in the final version

was done in 2 styles, since there was the original, and the adaptation added exposition

and another character, and did that in a noticeably different style. They also added a

scene they used ad nauseum of the characters when not at work. (The US audience wouldn't

have accepted their day-jobs as acceptable fare for a "kids" show like all cartoons

supposedly are.) That having been said, one scene was still left into an episode,

where the team leader was loafing in an office, was summoned, and ran to a propeller plane,

launching it into the sky before changing it into a jet. Nobody ever addressed the obvious

question as to where he was.

2) This cartoon was adapted from 3 different cartoons and mashed into one long story with

3 different story arcs down the decades, each one succeeding the previous ones. A fanzine

specifically for their fans started up, called "Protoculture Addicts."

I'm sure Harmony Gold was happy with their success with the anime outside of Japan.

(Me, I actually read some of the novels based on some of the stories,

up to and including "Southern Cross.")

3) This cartoon's first season was centered around the year in which the characters had

to save the Earth, and space travel related to saving the Earth. Later seasons involved

"hot wars" (active fighting) with forces like "the Comet Empire." The original title

(mentioned in the US version's credits) was named in Japan after a very famous warship.

1) This cartoon about a 5-member team of space ninjas was censored to drop a lot of

violence, and one character picked up a weird twittering stutter that covered the chronic

cursing he did when it was time to do the dubbing into English. The art in the final

version was done in 2 styles, since there was the original, and the adaptation added

exposition and robot narrator, and did that in a noticeably different style.

They also added a scene they used ad nauseum of the characters when not at work.

(The US audience wouldn't have accepted their day-jobs as acceptable fare for a "kids" show

like all cartoons supposedly are.) That having been said, one scene was still left into an episode,

where the team leader was loafing in an office, was summoned, and ran to a propeller plane,

launching it into the sky before transmuting it into a jet. Nobody ever addressed the obvious

specifically for their fans started up, called "Protoculture Addicts,"

fans of the series and the Super-Dimensional Fortress I.

I'm sure Harmony Gold was happy with their success with the anime outside of Japan.

to save the Earth, and space travel related to saving the Earth from the Gamilons and their

planet-bombs. Later seasons involved active fighting/wars with forces like "the Comet Empire,"

with the Earth forces MUCH better prepared-now they had a FLEET of ships with

wave-motion cannons. The original title (mentioned in the US version's credits)

was named in Japan after a very famous warship.

These were not obscure shows, but all were 70s or 80s in their US airings,

initially. And they have all had comic-book adaptationS, as in more than one.

I'll try a little more before giving up.

violence, and one character picked up a weird twittering stutter that covered the chronic

cursing he did when it was time to do the dubbing into English. The art in the final

version was done in 2 styles, since there was the original, and the adaptation added

They also added a scene they used ad nauseum of the characters when not at work.

(The US audience wouldn't have accepted their day-jobs as acceptable fare for a "kids" show

like all cartoons supposedly are.) That having been said, one scene was still left into an episode,

launching it into the sky before transmuting it into a jet. Nobody ever addressed the obvious

The original name translates into "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman."

The original shows were "Super-dimensional Fortress Macross,"

"Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross,"

and "Genesis Climber MOSPEADA"

before they were stitched together as one show.

to save the Earth, and space travel related to saving the Earth from the Gamilons and their

planet-bombs. Later seasons involved active fighting/wars with forces like "the Comet Empire,"

wave-motion cannons. The original titles were "Space Battleship Yamato" (I, II, and III,

for the seasons/stories, in that order, obviously.)

Sorry, friend. About the only anime-type cartoon I ever watched was "Speed Racer," and I didn't even like it much. I don't recognize any of the shows.

George

Then you got my "Gigantor" round based on an obscure 1960s cartoon

you never saw? That's fantastic!

Then each of these in this round should be a piece of cake!

Then you got my "Gigantor" round based on an obscure 1960s cartoon

you never saw? That's fantastic!

Then each of these in this round should be a piece of cake!

If "Gigantor" was anime, I didn't know it. :) That was one I DID watch, in my pre-teens. I guess "Teen Titans Go!" is also anime. I watch it occasionally, when I'm in a weird mood.

Still no luck with the "Super-Dimensional Battleship Gatchaman" shows, though. :lol:

George

Ok, I'll dump this one, since nobody's biting.

These were not obscure shows, but all were 70s or 80s in their US airings,

initially. And they have all had comic-book adaptationS, as in more than one.

I'll try a little more before giving up.

The original name translates into "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman."

"BATTLE OF THE PLANETS."

The original shows were "Super-dimensional Fortress Macross,"

"Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross,"

and "Genesis Climber MOSPEADA"

before they were stitched together as one show.

"ROBOTECH."

wave-motion cannons. The original titles were "Space Battleship Yamato" (I, II, and III,

for the seasons/stories, in that order, obviously.)

"STAR BLAZERS."

Each was actually fairly famous in the US and elsewhere, and there's fans

of all 3 still around. In fact, there was a live-action film of the third,

and comic books and re-airings of "Battle of the Planets".

The re-airings were more direct translations, and called "G-Force."

Without the robot 7-Zark-7 narrating, the stories were harder to follow.

Really old anime cartoons. Identify any to take the round.

1) "There's a prehistoric monster

That came from outer space

Created by the Martians

To destroy the human race.

The FBI is helpless,

It's twenty stories tall.

What can we do? Who can we call?"

"Faster than a rocket.

Quicker than a jet.

He's the mighty robot.

He's the one to get."

2) The main character, named Mighty Atom in the Japanese version

but not the US version, was

"a robot created and modeled upon Dr. Boynton's late son, Astor Boynton."

3) The main character was not a robot.

This youngster wore a special suit for undersea operations,

and chewed a special gum that allowed him to breathe underwater.

He also wielded a special boomerang.

Edited by WordWolf