GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

23 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Universal produced this show, and it was a good thing for the show that they did- the character visuals benefited greatly (at least one.)  It was set in a suburb of Southern California.   Thre was initial disagreement as to whether it should be animated or live-action (the latter won out.)  It featured an automobile that was a hot rod partly built out of a Model T Ford.  The house that was used was also used in at least 3 other shows (the last time after a remodel.)    It had an Easter Special once.   Recurring actors were Paul Lynde, Dom de Luise, and John Carradine.  Leo Durocher also appeared (coach of the LA Dodgers), which helped position the show as being somewhere not very far from Los Angeles. Mel Blanc was in the cast, as was a previous Hollywood starlet (actress, dancer, singer) once described by a producer she worked for at the time as "the most beautiful girl in the world."

The most famous movie she was ever in, AFAIK, was "THE TEN COMMANDMENTS."

This was NOT a show ABOUT a car.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:55 AM, WordWolf said:

Universal produced this show, and it was a good thing for the show that they did- the character visuals benefited greatly (at least one.)  It was set in a suburb of Southern California.   Thre was initial disagreement as to whether it should be animated or live-action (the latter won out.)  It featured an automobile that was a hot rod partly built out of a Model T Ford.  The house that was used was also used in at least 3 other shows (the last time after a remodel.)    It had an Easter Special once.   Recurring actors were Paul Lynde, Dom de Luise, and John Carradine.  Leo Durocher also appeared (coach of the LA Dodgers), which helped position the show as being somewhere not very far from Los Angeles. Mel Blanc was in the cast, as was a previous Hollywood starlet (actress, dancer, singer) once described by a producer she worked for at the time as "the most beautiful girl in the world."

The most famous movie she was ever in, AFAIK, was "THE TEN COMMANDMENTS."

This was NOT a show ABOUT a car.

Ok, my router decided to call an early night last night, so my last attempt to post this blew away. 

Universal did the classic movie monsters, including the classic Frankenstein look that was used for Herman M.  The Munster Koach was part Model T Ford (that's why it has that black hood!)  Mel Blanc did the voice of the Raven (in some episodes.)  Yvonne De Carlo was in "the Ten Commandments".  I noted that the episode of "I Love Lucy" where Ricky's press agent tried to have him connected with every Hollywood Starlet (while promoting "Don Juan")  had Yvonne de Carlo's name at the end of the list.

In the week it debuted, this series was rated dead last in the Nielsens.

As the show progressed, some critics complained that the laugh track was too loud. There was no laugh track. A disclaimer was added a few seasons in to let viewers know the show was filmed before a live studio audience.

When one of the main supporting characters died, writers created a new character to replace him. The new character shared the first name of the actor who would play him. This is supposedly a total coincidence.

Your shrink ran off to Europe and didn't even...  ok, no need to draw weapons.  I was getting to it.

The answer is "Cheers."  I was stuck until I started narrowing down "an actor died, replaced by an actor who shares his character's name".

"Coach", aka "Red" as his teammates called him, ("Because your hair was red?" "No, because I read a book.")  well, his actor died, and Woody Harrelson came in as Woody Boyd to replace him.

The theme song is nice, and has a second verse.  Way back in high school, I sang in the chorus.  I showed my friend Ben (Michael S' son) the theme song, and he agreed it was nice. Later, he recommended it to the chorus teacher, who got the whole thing. The second verse is weird.

"Roll out of bed, Mr Coffee's dead- the morning's looking bright. And your shrink ran off to Europe, and didn't even write. And your husband wants to be a girl. Be glad there's someplace in the world where everybody knows your name...."  

• Like 1

Ok, Hanna-Barbera did a cartoon that didn't have that many episodes, but it STILL shows up in reruns now and again, and, amazingly enough, is known in a number of other countries. (Not bad for exactly 34 episodes of cartoon.)   There have been some issues over who had the rights to the cartoon, but they seem to have been worked out.  

(BTW, it was inspired by a movie.)

That cartoon has had a sequel (of dubious quality) and some characters appeared in other cartoons.

One different cartoon had 8 characters of the original series become stars of this cartoon (with one casting change for "a 9th character.")

Another cartoon had characters fro m the original cartoon spin off or appear in other series' of cartoons (generally short-lived also.)  One cartoon had 2 of them appear in the first episode to vex a character famous enough to get his own theatrical movie.  (In fact, this happened in 2 different series with those 3 characters.)  

The same 2 troublesome characters I mentioned before also got their own cartoon, which took place chronologically before the original series (but was unconnected to it in any way.)

Finally, those SAME 2 characters were going to appear as regulars in ANOTHER cartoon (a rather successful one that had a 2nd season and had a huge ensemble cast.) However, concerns about who could use them probably were the reason why the 2 of them were replaced with obvious expys of them (characters made as copies of an original.)

Both the last cartoon I mentioned and the first cartoon I mentioned had their own comic books- the first one by Gold Key and the second one by Marvel Comics. (Would you believe I met one of the guys who worked on the latter? )  More recently, DC has gotten in on the action, with a comic book limited series inspired by the original cartoon and using some of the original characters but changing them and their setting and just about everything. 

In short, this is an old cartoon that's been watched by lots of people, and remembered by lots of people. What is it?

Edited by WordWolf

1) Ok, Hanna-Barbera did a cartoon that didn't have that many episodes, but it STILL shows up in reruns now and again, and, amazingly enough, is known in a number of other countries. (Not bad for exactly 34 episodes of cartoon.)   There have been some issues over who had the rights to the cartoon, but they seem to have been worked out.    It can be said to feature teams in a competition(s).

(BTW, it was inspired by a 1965 movie starring Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, and Jack Lemmon.)

That cartoon has had a sequel (of dubious quality) and some characters appeared in other cartoons.

2) One different cartoon had 8 characters of the original series become stars of this cartoon (with one casting change for "a 9th character.")

3) Another cartoon had characters from the original cartoon spin off or appear in other series' of cartoons (generally short-lived also.)  (4) One cartoon had 2 of them appear in the first episode to vex a character famous enough to get his own theatrical movie.  (In fact, this happened in 2 different series with those 3 characters.)  

5) The same 2 troublesome characters I mentioned before also got their own cartoon, which took place chronologically before the original series (but was unconnected to it in any way.)

6) Finally, those SAME 2 characters were going to appear as regulars in ANOTHER cartoon (a rather successful one that had a 2nd season and had a huge ensemble cast.) However, concerns about who could use them probably were the reason why the 2 of them were replaced with obvious expys of them (characters made as copies of an original.)  That cartoon featured 3 teams in competitions all over the world (and at least one on the Moon.) One of the expys, oddly enough, had already been the star of his own short-lived cartoon, and was the team leader of one of the teams in THIS cartoon.  (The other expy, in the comic book, was said to have been the twin brother of the character from the first cartoon.) 

Both the last cartoon I mentioned and the first cartoon I mentioned had their own comic books- the first one by Gold Key and the second one by Marvel Comics. (Would you believe I met one of the guys who worked on the latter? )  More recently, DC has gotten in on the action, with a comic book limited series inspired by the original cartoon and using some of the original characters but changing them and their setting and just about everything. 

In short, this is an old cartoon that's been watched by lots of people, and remembered by lots of people. What is it?

(I would also accept the name of cartoon #5 instead.)

Here's the clues, more or less...

1) Ok, Hanna-Barbera did a cartoon that didn't have that many episodes, but it STILL shows up in reruns now and again, and, amazingly enough, is known in a number of other countries. (Not bad for exactly 34 episodes of cartoon.)   There have been some issues over who had the rights to the cartoon, but they seem to have been worked out.    It can be said to feature teams in a competition(s).

The Wacky Races has every car (except Professor Pat Pending's Converta-Car)  with 2 drivers/crew.  Since the concept was suggested by another company that did none of the development, H-B gave them partial credit.   I don't know about other countries, but rallies are popular in Argentina, which is why the Dakar Rally moved here from Africa (before other countries here wanted inclusion, so it's multi-national again.)

(BTW, it was inspired by a 1965 movie starring Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, and Jack Lemmon.)

"The Great Race."

There's some cheap WR cartoon airing now. Seems poorly-written, IMHO. And that's compared to the old one!

2) One different cartoon had 8 characters of the original series become stars of this cartoon (with one casting change for "a 9th character.")

"The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" featured her and the 7 members of the Ant Hill Mob, and their "Bulletproof Bomb" was replaced by "Chugga-boom."

3) Another cartoon had characters from the original cartoon spin off or appear in other series' of cartoons (generally short-lived also.)  (4) One cartoon had 2 of them appear in the first episode to vex a character famous enough to get his own theatrical movie.  (In fact, this happened in 2 different series with those 3 characters.)  

Yogi Bear has actually had a few race cartoons, and Dick Dastardly and Muttley have been there to cause trouble.

5) The same 2 troublesome characters I mentioned before also got their own cartoon, which took place chronologically before the original series (but was unconnected to it in any way.)

"Dastardly and Muttley and Their Flying Machines" is often misnamed "Stop That Pigeon" by kids who only know the theme song.  It took place in WW I, judging from the tech level and symbols. It's kept vague, but obviously the main characters are working for the Kaiser to stop carrier pigeon messages from getting through.

6) Finally, those SAME 2 characters were going to appear as regulars in ANOTHER cartoon (a rather successful one that had a 2nd season and had a huge ensemble cast.) However, concerns about who could use them probably were the reason why the 2 of them were replaced with obvious expys of them (characters made as copies of an original.)  That cartoon featured 3 teams in competitions all over the world (and at least one on the Moon.) One of the expys, oddly enough, had already been the star of his own short-lived cartoon, and was the team leader of one of the teams in THIS cartoon.  (The other expy, in the comic book, was said to have been the twin brother of the character from the first cartoon.) 

"Scooby Doo's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics."  3 teams of H-B characters- the Scooby Doobies, the Yogi Yahooeys, and the Really Rottens.  The RR have expys of a few characters, or evil versions of them.  Dread Baron is obviously a Dastardly clone, and (detective) Mumbly replaced his cousin Muttley and led the RRs.  Oddly enough, Mumbly was a good guy before this cartoon, and a detective (that's why he wore a trench coat on the L-A-L.    This was a fun cartoon.

I met Mark Evanier (comics and Jack Kirby historian, inspiration for "Mark Moonrider" of the Forever People, Marx Brothers fan, etc.) but didn't realize I'd read some of his work at the time (on Mister Miracle and the :L-A-L comic book.    DC did a limited series "Wacky Raceland", which took place in a post-Apocalyptic Mad Max setting, with nothing familiar about these racers.

(I would also accept the name of cartoon #5 instead.)

Frankly, I think both cartoons were excellent, and bear re-watching.

Sorry.

At age 26, Alan Spencer was the youngest creator of a network television series.

A comic book based on the series was produced by Marvel. It was discontinued after two issues.

Originally, the opening credits sequence was to have the star firing his gun directly at the camera and shattering it. But ABC's standards and practices department feared that him firing straight at the camera would frighten some viewers and possibly leave the network liable in case a viewer had a heart attack. A compromise was reached. He would fire his gun slightly to the left of the camera but still shattering the screen. Nevertheless, on the night of the series' debut, a person working for a Midwest ABC affiliate was startled by the opening sequence, panicked and threw on the station logo thinking something had gone wrong with their tape machine.

George

*thinks*

There was a second issue of that?  I had the first, but never saw a second!

You're talking about "Sledge Hammer!" 

The first issue was a Halloween one. Sledge opened the comic by "decorating it" himself- one bullet into the side to blow a huge chunk out of it. (At the end of the comic, it was destroyed in a fire, which upset him.)     It featured "Satana"- and this "Satana" was an Elvira expy and not related to any other character of the same name.  (BTW, the cover and the splash page both had Sledge saying "Don't worry- I know what I'm doing.") 

They thought that rated a second issue?   Marvel made a lot of one-shots back then- I thought this was just one more.