GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

OK.  Five similar shows.  Get at least TWO to win the round.  (I expect that WW and/or Raf will get one easily.)

1. Two Secret Service agents (a man and a woman) hunt down supernatural artifacts, neutralize them, and bring them to a large repository.
  2. Two Chicago cops ( a man and a woman) track down "links" (folklore monsters which are links between apes and man) and eliminate them.
  3. Two cousins (a man and a woman) track down cursed antiques and retrieve them before they can cause harm.
  4. Two newspaper reporters (a man and a woman) report on "true" supernatural events.  They work for a tabloid, so none of their reporting is believed by the readers.
  5. Four people (three men and a woman -- with help from a couple of others) track down supernatural artifacts, neutralize them, and store them in a large repository.

George

I'm sure I can throw out names and hit at least one correctly as either #1 or #5, depending on where they're housing these artifacts.

I think I know #3.

*thinks*  I suspect the one I was thinking of was #5, and #1 is another show I may have the name of. One of the 2 at any rate.

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

OK.  Five similar shows.  Get at least TWO to win the round.  (I expect that WW and/or Raf will get one easily.)

1. Two Secret Service agents (a man and a woman) hunt down supernatural artifacts, neutralize them, and bring them to a large repository.
  2. Two Chicago cops ( a man and a woman) track down "links" (folklore monsters which are links between apes and man) and eliminate them.
  3. Two cousins (a man and a woman) track down cursed antiques and retrieve them before they can cause harm.
  4. Two newspaper reporters (a man and a woman) report on "true" supernatural events.  They work for a tabloid, so none of their reporting is believed by the readers.
  5. Four people (three men and a woman -- with help from a couple of others) track down supernatural artifacts, neutralize them, and store them in a large repository.

George

I suspect #5 is "Warehouse 13" and #1 is "Special Unit 2."   #3, of course, was "Friday the 13th" despite little connection with "Jason the Killer." (BTW, in Latin America, the movie series is called "Jason the Killer", which at least tells you something about the movies- all but the very first, of course. ;)  )

6 hours ago, Raf said:

I'm right here. Hello?

#3 is Friday the 13th

#4 is The Chronicle.

You probably posted just after WW, while I was responding to him.  You are correct.  Here is the rundown:

1. Two Secret Service agents (a man and a woman) hunt down supernatural artifacts, neutralize them, and bring them to a large repository.  Warehouse 13 (the #1 rated SyFy show, so far)
  2. Two Chicago cops ( a man and a woman) track down "links" (folklore monsters which are links between apes and man) and eliminate them.  Special Unit 2
  3. Two cousins (a man and a woman) track down cursed antiques and retrieve them before they can cause harm.  Friday the 13th
  4. Two newspaper reporters (a man and a woman) report on "true" supernatural events.  They work for a tabloid, so none of their reporting is believed by the readers.  The Chronicle
  5. Four people (three men and a woman -- with help from a couple of others) track down supernatural artifacts, neutralize them, and store them in a large repository.  The Librarians

I probably could have added a crusty old guy to each ensemble:

1. Warehouse 13:  Saul Rubinek as Artie, the Warehouse curator
  2. Special Unit 2: Richard Gant as Capt. Page
  3. Friday the 13th:  Chris Wiggins as Jack Marshak
  4. The Chronicle: Jon Polito as Donald Stern, the Editor
  5. The Librarians:  John Larroquette as Jenkins (who is actually Sir Galahad)

Raf's up.

George

It was a sci-fi show centered on a newspaper...

Anyway.

The creator of this series once sent a note to one of the stars. "Everyone hates you!" the note read. It was a compliment.

The runner up to play one of the principal male roles was instead cast as a sadistic villain in several seasons.

It's hard to tell who the lead character is in any given season other than the first. Yes, it's an ensemble. But more to the point, main characters tend to die with alarming regularity.

Has won more prime time emmy awards than any other show. Including Frasier.

Ok, let's look at the clues, and see if we get anywhere.  

We have a show with multiple seasons, that got a lot of prime-time Emmys.  So, it's well-known and airs/aired prime-time, possibly on a network channel. (No mention of an Ace Award, which would suggest cable, but that doesn't mean it ISN'T cable.) 

Principal characters keep dying.

It's recent enough that Peter Jackson's :LotR movies predated it- otherwise there'd be no prop of Glamdring.

So, from this, I'm going to take a guess and go with "GAME OF THRONES."

It is Game of Thrones

The creator of this series once sent a note to one of the stars. "Everyone hates you!" the note read. It was a compliment. [The character of Joffrey Baratheon was rather despised. The actor who played him was praised by author George RR Martin.]

The runner up to play one of the principal male roles was instead cast as a sadistic villain in several seasons. [Don't make me look up the names, please. The actor who played Ramsay Bolton, a major villain, originally auditioned to play Jon Snow, a major hero]. 

It's hard to tell who the lead character is in any given season other than the first. Yes, it's an ensemble. But more to the point, main characters tend to die with alarming regularity. [Sean Bean was the original lead actor. His character died before the end of the first season. His oldest son and his widow didn't make it past the third season. The evil Joffrey didn't make it past season 4].

Has won more prime time emmy awards than any other show. Including Frasier.

Sean Bean...put a sword in his hand, and his character dies off. 

I know amazingly little about this show, despite having a copy of the first book sitting, waiting patiently to be read. (When I have no interest in a series, it's easy to find here.)

The results of an online test said I would mostly likely  be in "House Stark." As a long-time Iron Man fan, I thought that was amusing. 

According to Penny, the show has "dragons, and people doing it", which is why she claims she watches it.  (Big Bang Theory.)

Ok, some obscure TV shows. Identify one to take the round, more for bragging rights.

A) A coroner helps the police by claiming to be a psychic.  She's actually getting the impressions by eating the brains of the murder victims. This is a self-preservation action for herself, because if she stops, horrible consequences would follow.  A doctor continues to try to find a cure for her affliction.

B) A small-town pastor suddenly discovers the power to convince people to do as he says.

C) This show was described as a cross between the old "Mission Impossible" and "Quantum Leap", both based on what the titular character does.

D) The opening narration included the following: "I was once a man. I know the evil men do. Do not bring your evil here, I warn you. "

E) Of the principal characters, one was a teacher in a wheelchair, one was present when her mother was killed, one was Dinah Redmond-who seems to have precognitive dreams.

8 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Some guesses:

A)  I, Zombie

B)  Preacher

C)  Journeyman

No idea about the other two.

George

A) was "iZombie."  (Correct answer with a different spelling.)   The protagonist "survived" a zombie bite. If she eats brains, she doesn't degenerate into a feral cannibal.

B) was "Preacher."  Hard to describe that show without giving away anything.

C) was NOT "Journeyman."  (What's "Journeyman?")

Want to take a stab at the others, or just claim your victory for the correct answer (x2) and move on?

16 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

C) was NOT "Journeyman."  (What's "Journeyman?")

Want to take a stab at the others, or just claim your victory for the correct answer (x2) and move on?

Journeyman was about a time traveler (I'm not sure if it was just in his own lifespan) and helped people.  I liked it, so it lasted less than one season.

I really don't have any idea about the others, but I'll wait to claim my turn if someone else can answer.  Maybe a little more detail?

George

A) A coroner helps the police by claiming to be a psychic.  She's actually getting the impressions by eating the brains of the murder victims. This is a self-preservation action for herself, because if she stops, horrible consequences would follow.  A doctor continues to try to find a cure for her affliction.

B) A small-town pastor suddenly discovers the power to convince people to do as he says.

C) This show was described as a cross between the old "Mission Impossible" and "Quantum Leap", both based on what the titular character does- since "Quantum Leap" had someone just dropped into people's lived to help them, and the other show had Martin Landau's character doing something specific and memorable.

D) The opening narration included the following: "I was once a man. I know the evil men do. Do not bring your evil here, I warn you. "  [If he's not a man now, what is he now? Where is 'here'?]

E) Of the principal characters, one was a teacher in a wheelchair, one was present when her mother was killed, one was Dinah Redmond-who seems to have precognitive dreams. [TThey were adapted from pre-existing characters, some changes were made- like their names, and occupations.]

=====================

Ok, George got the round, but just for giggles, seeing if anyone, including George, can name the rest.