GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

On 12/3/2018 at 1:55 AM, WordWolf said:

A) A coroner helps the police by claiming to be a psychic.  She's actually getting the impressions by eating the brains of the murder victims. This is a self-preservation action for herself, because if she stops, horrible consequences would follow.  A doctor continues to try to find a cure for her affliction.

B) A small-town pastor suddenly discovers the power to convince people to do as he says.

C) This show was described as a cross between the old "Mission Impossible" and "Quantum Leap", both based on what the titular character does- since "Quantum Leap" had someone just dropped into people's lived to help them, and the other show had Martin Landau's character doing something specific and memorable.

D) The opening narration included the following: "I was once a man. I know the evil men do. Do not bring your evil here, I warn you. "  [If he's not a man now, what is he now? Where is 'here'?]

E) Of the principal characters, one was a teacher in a wheelchair, one was present when her mother was killed, one was Dinah Redmond-who seems to have precognitive dreams. [TThey were adapted from pre-existing characters, some changes were made- like their names, and occupations.]

=====================

Ok, George got the round, but just for giggles, seeing if anyone, including George, can name the rest.

Ok, for curiosity, here's the answers.  George got A & B as iZombie and Preacher.  C was "the Human Target"- Chris Chance impersonates people who are targets. D was "Swamp Thing."     E was "Birds of Prey", a one-season show with Oracle/Barbara Gordon, Huntress (daughter of Batman and Catwoman), and Canary (Dinah.)

George's turn.

Well, that's embarrassing.  I don't know if I ever watched the Swamp Thing TV show, but I did watch "Human Target" and "Birds of Prey."  I don't think I'd call HT a cross between QL and MI, though.  Impersonating someone is quite different from jumping (through time) into his body.  And yes, if Oracle were a librarian rather than a teacher, and Black Canary were Dinah Lance, rather than Dinah Redmond, I'd have gotten it right away.

New one soon.

George

12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Well, that's embarrassing.  I don't know if I ever watched the Swamp Thing TV show, but I did watch "Human Target" and "Birds of Prey."  I don't think I'd call HT a cross between QL and MI, though.  Impersonating someone is quite different from jumping (through time) into his body.  And yes, if Oracle were a librarian rather than a teacher, and Black Canary were Dinah Lance, rather than Dinah Redmond, I'd have gotten it right away.

New one soon.

George

Someone described "Human Target" as a cross between those 2 shows because Quantum Leap had him dropped into people's lives to help them, and he had to function as them, and "Mission Impossible"  had the realistic disguises.

5 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

George,  I'm not familiar with a single name here.

Well, I wouldn't give the obvious ones, first.  This show was, however, popular and long-lived enough that even supporting characters appeared dozens of times.

Barbara Bosson       Jon Cypher

Rene Enriquez       Robert Hirschfeld

Robert Prosky       Bruce Weitz

Kiel Martin      Trinidad Silva

George

You are correct, Grace. 

Which means you're up. 

Which means we would like YOU to post clues to a new TV show. 

Note that this particular thread gives a lot of latitude as to what constitutes and acceptable clue.  We usually use trivia about the show (which you can find at IMDb or Wikipedia, among other sites); but (as I did), you can use cast members, episode titles, whatever strikes your fancy.  I would start with more challenging clues first, and then make them easier if people don't get it initially.

George

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

You are correct, Grace. 

Which means you're up. 

Note that this particular thread gives a lot of latitude as to what constitutes and acceptable clue.  We usually use trivia about the show (which you can find at IMDb or Wikipedia, among other sites); but (as I did), you can use cast members, episode titles, whatever strikes your fancy.  I would start with more challenging clues first, and then make them easier if people don't get it initially.

George

George, I will try to do this right.  This comedy show was on Saturday night for years, and years.  It's host was a male comedian, whose favorite saying was, " how sweet it is."

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

You are correct, Grace. 

Which means you're up. 

George

Yes, everything he said was true.  It's your turn, Grace.

Usually, we try to post some sort of clue about once a day, but that's not a rule, just a suggestion. ANYTHING that would help someone guess this show without THEM looking it up is fair as a clue.  We have to guess based on what you post, and what we THINK- we can't look it up or we disqualify ourselves for the round. (We work on the Honor System, here.)

It's a good idea for the giver of the clues (in this case, you) to look things up so you know the clue is accurate.  The guessers must not look up anything. 

And yes, we prefer to go from the harder clues to the easy clues until someone gets it.   (It adds to the fun of us guessing.)

2 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

George, I will try to do this right.  This comedy show was on Saturday night for years, and years.  It's host was a male comedian, whose favorite saying was, " how sweet it is."

Ha!   Thanks for posting so promptly!   Ok  let's see....

Although this show was technically before my time, that particular comedian- and that tagline- are still well-known (somewhat) to this day.

Was this show "THE HONEYMOONERS"? 

Just now, Grace Valerie Claire said:
26 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Ha!   Thanks for posting so promptly!   Ok  let's see....

Although this show was technically before my time, that particular comedian- and that tagline- are still well-known (somewhat) to this day.

Was this show "THE HONEYMOONERS"? 

WW, close, but no. What show came after the Honeymooners??

I loved the June Taylor dancers and Frank Fontaine (as "Crazy Guggenheim").

Good work, Grace.  Although the clue was well-known to me (and almost, WW), that's the kind of thing to post here.

We have had, in the past, "drive-by" posters who would answer clues but never post any of their own.

Give me some time.  :anim-smile:

George

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm blanking right now.  (I come up with a show, and use the search bar at the top of the page.  Every show I think of, I've already done.)

If anyone else wants to go, go ahead.  If not, I'll try again later.

George

George, I have one.  This movie had it's premier in Atlanta, Ga., 79 years ago today, Dec 15th, 1939.  It is the most profitable movie in American Film History.  It won several Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and Best Actress. It takes place in Georgia, over a century ago.

17 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I think I know what it is, but I have to point out that this is the TV Show Mash-up thread, not the Movie Mash-up thread.  :doh:

As I said, I'm kind of blanking right now. If someone else wants to answer Grace's clue and then post a TV clue, have at it!

George

George, nuts!!  Right church, wrong pew!!  I thought this was the Movie Mash-Up!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  Time to move this on.  I'm assuming Grace's movie clue was for "Gone with the Wind."

I used this show a couple of years ago, but as part of a "guess how many of these shows you can name" set.  Here are some individual clues:

Two episodes, "The Boys' Night Out Job" and "The Girls' Night Out Job," were shot simultaneously.

The show supposedly takes place in Boston, but was shot in Portland.  In the final season, the show moves to Portland.

In one episode, the main characters go to a "dress-as-your-favorite-detective" party.  The leader dresses as a detective whom his (the actor's) father played on a TV show about 35 years earlier.

George

Two episodes, "The Boys' Night Out Job" and "The Girls' Night Out Job," were shot simultaneously.

The show supposedly takes place in Boston, but was shot in Portland.  In the final season, the show moves to Portland.

In one episode, the main characters go to a "dress-as-your-favorite-detective" party.  The leader dresses as a detective whom his (the actor's) father played on a TV show about 35 years earlier.

The main characters are a Hitter, a Hacker, a Grifter, a Thief, and the Brains.

George

In one episode, the main characters go to a "dress-as-your-favorite-detective" party.  The leader, played by Tim Hutton, dresses as Ellery Queen, a detective whom his father (Jim Hutton) played on a TV show about 35 years earlier.

The main characters are a Hitter, a Hacker, a Grifter, a Thief, and the Brains.

George