GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Ah.

M*A*S*H

I remember the same character breaking his arm with an X-ray machine (or something), just so he stay and investigate the MASH unit.  Hawkeye asked, "Does he do kids' parties?"  (A line I often use when someone does something stupid.)

George

Actually, Hawkeye's question was in response to the crashing the jeep and setting himself on fire.  The other incident was when Flagg's arm was healed, and Hawkeye was going to remove his cast.  When he found out Hawkeye couldn't give him a medical reason to stay, he shouted and slammed that x-ray machine (or something)  into his arm, smashing the cast and re-breaking his arm.   Hawkeye: "NOW I can give you a medical excuse."   That was "Colonel Flagg", which may or have not been his name.  The other intelligence agent called him "Sam", but I think that was more to invoke  "Sam" and "Ralph", the coyote and sheepdog that punch a time-clock at the beginning and end of the day.

https://looneytunes.fandom.com/wiki/Ralph_Wolf_and_Sam_Sheepdog

The WB's announcement that it was canceling the show came at a time when it was rated second only to Smallville(2001) among 18-to-34-year-olds.

There were 110 episodes of this show.  There are just four episodes in which a character's name is in the title: "Darla", "Disharmony", "Fredless", and "Harm's Way".

The lead character's car is a Black 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX convertible.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

On 2/9/2019 at 1:04 AM, WordWolf said:

"When they came for me, I ran like a thief right into Grand Central Station. They trapped me in a pay toilet."

"Beautiful."

"Cost them four dollars in nickels to get me out."

"I love a volunteer."

One recurring character was interesting.  He once claimed to be with the CIA, but said he had to stop because that made people think he was with the CIC, and he was actually with the CID all along.  In fact, he once tried to get into the CIC's offices by crashing a car and setting himself on fire.  He also claimed to try not to sit for more than 2 hours a day, IIRC. ("It's bad to put pressure on your brain.")   He prided himself on neither laughing nor smiling. "I've trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod."

BTW, since I didn't mention it, the first quote was an interesting exchange.  Burns had said that Klinger was "an enlisted man." So, they asked Klinger if he ever actually "ENLISTED." He told this story of how he responded to being drafted and called up for duty.  Hawkeye and Trapper were amused by his account, but I forgot who said what in that exchange.  

On 2/10/2019 at 5:44 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The WB's announcement that it was canceling the show came at a time when it was rated second only to Smallville(2001) among 18-to-34-year-olds.

There were 110 episodes of this show.  There are just four episodes in which a character's name is in the title: "Darla", "Disharmony", "Fredless", and "Harm's Way".

The lead character's car is a Black 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX convertible.

George

I'm not sure about some of the details. However,  I know a show that was set in Los Angeles, aired on the WB, was a rough contemporary of Smallville, and had characters named "Darla" and "Fred" (WINIFRED, but "Fred" to her friends.)    This should be "ANGEL." 

Here's the lyrics to this show's theme song:

"So you think that you've got troubles?

Well, trouble's a bubble

So tell old Mr. Trouble to get lost!

Why not hold your head up high and

Stop cryin', start tryin'

And don't forget to keep your fingers crossed.

When you find the joy of livin'

Is lovin' and givin'

You'll be there when the winning dice are tossed.

A smile is just a frown that's turned upside down

So smile, and that frown will defrost.

And don't forget to keep your fingers crossed "

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Were the lyrics actually used on the show?  A number of shows use instrumental versions for their theme music.

George

The lyrics were NOT used on the show. 

The show used an instrumental theme, for which someone wrote lyrics that did not actually appear in the show.

The show's theme song was instrumental, but an actor on the show did write words for the music. Here's the lyrics:

"So you think that you've got troubles?

Well, trouble's a bubble

So tell old Mr. Trouble to get lost!

Why not hold your head up high and

Stop cryin', start tryin'

And don't forget to keep your fingers crossed.

When you find the joy of livin'

Is lovin' and givin'

You'll be there when the winning dice are tossed.

A smile is just a frown that's turned upside down

So smile, and that frown will defrost.

And don't forget to keep your fingers crossed "

This show ran for 5 years and got 15 Emmys.   TV Guide rated it #13 on Greatest Shows of All Time, with one of its episodes ranking #8 on their Best Episodes of All Time.   The 1.0 version of the show, an unsuccessful pilot, was titled "Head of the Family."  Jamie Farr appeared 4 times playing a character in season 1.

1 hour ago, Human without the bean said:

The Jackie Gleason (Variety) Show

No.  Although this was also a black-and-white show, I don't think Jackie Gleason ever appeared on it.  Oddly enough, he inspired the personality of one of the characters, though! It was also a scripted show, not a variety show of any kind.

The lead actor on this series had no idea how to play the violin, though his character did it often.

A real life pair of siblings (adopted, but real life siblings) play characters who are not related.

A particular villainous character was played by an actress who was quite the pain in the ass on set. The lead actor, who was also executive producer, considered firing her, but she was just too good for the part and was kept on.

The main actor was never nominated for an Emmy for this series. Neither was the main actress. Or anyone else, save a single regularly featured actress, once. She lost.

A young autistic actor was brought in to play the main actor as a young boy. His performance was so well received that he was later brought in to play the main actor's adopted son.

A particular hymn often featured on this series was referenced in another game thread recently.

I said "regularly featured actress" in one of the clues. I should have said "supporting actress." She was a series regular, opening credits, there for most seasons. She just wasn't the lead. 

She was nominated for her performance in two episodes, after which her character never saw her family again.

Big hint: Read my last clue again... it's quite literal.

Also, don't get stuck on "villainous."

The character was an antagonist, but it's not like she committed crimes or anything. She was just not nice.

Edited by Raf