GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

24 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm guessing she went blind, but the show still isn't clicking with me.

George

*slaps forehead*

"La Familia Ingalls", as the show is known here (it's in syndication on a local channel, IIRC.)

As it was named originally, "Little House on the Prairie." 

Yes.

The real Charles Ingalls was a fiddle player. Michael Landon... not so much. But he faked it good.

The lead actress was Melissa Gilbert, who played Laura Ingalls. He (adopted) brother, Jonathan Gilbert, played comic antagonist Willie Oleson.

Katherine MacGregor played his mother, Harriet Oleson. Mrs. Oleson was the villain-like character, but again, it was more of a comic villainy. She was reportedly a real pain, but Michael Landon (star, writer of many episodes, director of many episodes, and executive producer) determined she was too good in the part to let go.

Melissa Sue Anderson played Laura's sister, Mary. Anderson was nominated for an Emmy for the two episodes in which her character goes blind.

Matthew Laborteaux, who has autism, played a young Charles Ingalls in one episode. Producers liked him enough to get him a regular spot playing "Albert," an orphan who is eventually adopted by the Ingalls family.

About once every five to 10 episodes, you can hear the church congregation singing "Bringing in the Sheaves," referenced recently on the movie mash-up thread clues to the 1967 Batman movie.

Edited by Raf

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

When I hear that song, I picture Batman running around the dock with the cartoon bomb thing.    

The show is family-friendly. Is it worth watching?

5 minutes ago, Raf said:

It was a product of its time.

Fair enough.  Simple.  Good family values. 

If you need a lot of action or suspense, probably not for you.

George

4 hours ago, Raf said:

It is watchable. I actually enjoyed it very much. Skip the original movie though: it's a slog.

I apparently neglected to ask Mrs Wolf if she ever watched the series.  Yes, she did, and no, she won't.    Good thing we keep finding other shows to watch together.

Another round of cooking shows.  Name any to take the round.

A) 4 chefs compete in a supermarket- first to find their ingredients, subject to whatever challenges this round deals with- then they cook in the remaining time for a panel of judges.  The weakest dish is eliminated, and the final round is the last chef standing- running around the supermarket, trying to fill a list in a few minutes, with cash for each item he fills.

B) 4 chefs compete in a kitchen. First, they are handed a stack of real cash.  Then, Round 1 begins. They are told what they will cook and how long they will have to cook it. Then they dash to the pantry to collect their ingredients in 60 seconds.  Then they bid on auctioned sabotages to inflict on each other.   Each round, the weakest cook is eliminated until there's one winner- who only wins the cash he has remaining after he spent whatever he spent on sabotages.  (Any eliminated chef must surrender the remaining cash on his way out.)

C) Round 1 has 2 chefs go head-to-head to beat each other. The winner goes on to Round 2- and challenges a specific professional chef at cooking the challenger's best dish.

D)  A home cook prepares about 1/2 a dozen recipes, and challenges the show.  In each round, a professional chef comes out and spends a few seconds talking about what they cook best. The challenger then selects which item off their list they will challenge the chef to cook. Both cook, and a panel of 5 normal diners tries both.  Best 3 out of 5 wins the round. The home cook, if he loses, doesn't win anything that round, but wins increasing totals of money based on which round it is- with the final round being a doubling of what was won so far.  This is especially hard since there's only the last dish remaining to challenge them on.  

E) This game sounds like an illegal street brawl.  2 challengers show up, and must work with whatever ingredient is mandatory. The winner wins the show, and an odd "trophy" that helps explain the name of the show.  This one is 1/2 an hour, which is very short for a cooking challenge show.

Since George knew C was "Beat Bobby Flay", we'll cover the others.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:21 PM, WordWolf said:

Another round of cooking shows.  Name any to take the round.

A) 4 chefs compete in a supermarket- first to find their ingredients, subject to whatever challenges this round deals with- then they cook in the remaining time for a panel of judges.  The weakest dish is eliminated, and the final round is the last chef standing- running around the supermarket, trying to fill a list in a few minutes, with cash for each item he fills.

B) 4 chefs compete in a kitchen. First, they are handed a stack of real cash.  Then, Round 1 begins. They are told what they will cook and how long they will have to cook it. Then they dash to the pantry to collect their ingredients in 60 seconds.  Then they bid on auctioned sabotages to inflict on each other.   Each round, the weakest cook is eliminated until there's one winner- who only wins the cash he has remaining after he spent whatever he spent on sabotages.  (Any eliminated chef must surrender the remaining cash on his way out.)

C) Round 1 has 2 chefs go head-to-head to beat each other. The winner goes on to Round 2- and challenges a specific professional chef at cooking the challenger's best dish.

D)  A home cook prepares about 1/2 a dozen recipes, and challenges the show.  In each round, a professional chef comes out and spends a few seconds talking about what they cook best. The challenger then selects which item off their list they will challenge the chef to cook. Both cook, and a panel of 5 normal diners tries both.  Best 3 out of 5 wins the round. The home cook, if he loses, doesn't win anything that round, but wins increasing totals of money based on which round it is- with the final round being a doubling of what was won so far.  This is especially hard since there's only the last dish remaining to challenge them on.  

E) This game sounds like an illegal street brawl.  2 challengers show up, and must work with whatever ingredient is mandatory. The winner wins the show, and an odd "trophy" that helps explain the name of the show.  This one is 1/2 an hour, which is very short for a cooking challenge show.

A) GUY'S GROCERY GAMES. ("Games in the Supermarket with Guy".)

B) CUTTHROAT KITCHEN. ("Sabotage in the Kitchen.")

C) BEAT BOBBY FLAY (George got this, "Defeat Bobby Flay")

D) FOOD FIGHTERS ("Chef vs Novice")

E) KNIFEFIGHT ("Knifefight")

A la WordWolf, only this time the category is rock and roll shows.  None of these shows had the longevity of American Bandstand, but most had pretty good audiences.  Identify one, correctly, to take the round.  (I personally remember watching three of these shows.)

1. Hosted by LA local Gene Weeds, this show was frequented more by girl groups than the other shows.  Also notable was a young (obviously) Teri Garr as one of the dancers.
  2. This Dick Clark show was different in that the locations were all outside:  beaches, parks, etc.  It featured a lot of the heavy hitters of the day:  The Byrds, The Who, The Shangri-Las, James Brown, Bobby Rydell, The Zombies, Dusty Springfield, Marvin Gaye, the Kinks.  The "house band" was Paul Revere and the Raiders.
  3. NBC's entry into the field had a bigger budget. That meant nifty prop sets (like, say, The Mamas and the Papas singing amidst a bunch of bathtubs and pipes) and a rotation of celebrity guests to handling the hosting, acts like Sammy Davis, Jr. and Petula Clark.  The show was filmed at 30 Rock studio 8H -- later home to Saturday Night Live.
  4. This ABC show had later luminaries Glen Campbell, Billy Preston, and Leon Russell in the house band.  There were a number of Beatles appearances and the only televised version of Little Eva performing "Locomotion."

George

At least for now, I'd like someone to match a show with its title.  (To be fair, I could only do this for one of the shows.  I could give other titles which I know are in there, but not specifically matched to the clues.)  If no one can do that, I'll open it up to more general answers.

George

I'm thinking I would know or recognize more than one of these but for now, like WordWolf, I only have one guess and I cannot match it with the criteria that was posted.  Intriguing entry here.   Still wondering.

Edited by Human without the bean
minor mistake

Identify one, correctly, to take the round.  (I personally remember watching three of these shows.)

Some added detail, though I doubt it will help:

1. Hosted by LA local Gene Weeds, this show was frequented more by girl groups than the other shows.  Also notable was a young (obviously) Teri Garr as one of the dancers.  Syndicated, 1965-1966
  2. This Dick Clark show was different in that the locations were all outside:  beaches, parks, etc.  It featured a lot of the heavy hitters of the day:  The Byrds, The Who, The Shangri-Las, James Brown, Bobby Rydell, The Zombies, Dusty Springfield, Marvin Gaye, the Kinks.  The "house band" was Paul Revere and the Raiders. ABC, 1965-1967
  3. NBC's entry into the field had a bigger budget. That meant nifty prop sets (like, say, The Mamas and the Papas singing amidst a bunch of bathtubs and pipes) and a rotation of celebrity guests to handling the hosting, acts like Sammy Davis, Jr. and Petula Clark.  The show was filmed at 30 Rock studio 8H -- later home to Saturday Night Live. 1965-1966
  4. This ABC show had later luminaries Glen Campbell, Billy Preston, and Leon Russell in the house band.  There were a number of Beatles appearances and the only televised version of Little Eva performing "Locomotion." 1964-1966.

George