GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

The title of THIS program ultimately referred to SIX different characters.

Only two of the original cast (well, three, sorta) remained through the show's run.

Two movies (so far) have aired with the same title.

A short-lived reboot TV series came and went after airing only a few episodes.

George

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The title of THIS program ultimately referred to SIX different characters.

Only two of the original cast (well, three, sorta) remained through the show's run.

Two movies (so far) have aired with the same title.

A short-lived reboot TV series came and went after airing only a few episodes.

George

Is this "THE AVENGERS"?     There was a "new Avengers".  and the Steed-and-Peel show went though different agents, but Steed was the same through the show's run.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Is this "THE AVENGERS"?     There was a "new Avengers".  and the Steed-and-Peel show went though different agents, but Steed was the same through the show's run.

No.

10 hours ago, Raf said:

i would guess you're on the wrong side of the pond.

the sorta gave it away for me. 

You probably have it.  Feel free to give the answer.

George

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Charlie's Angels

You're probably right. Charlie and Bosley stayed with the show, and the angels rotated.    In the movies, the angels stayed, and the Bosleys rotated.  If there was going to be a third movie, the next Bosley was obviously going to be the motorcyclist kid.

Actually, Kelly (Jacklyn Smith) and Bosley (and Charlie, "sorta" because we never actually see him) remained through the run.  The six angels were Smith, Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack, and (sigh) Tanya Roberts.

There were two movies, with a third slated for this year (different cast from the two).

There was also a short-lived reboot (I think, on CBS, airing right after the reboot of Hawaii 5-0), about eight years ago.

Raf is back up.

George

2 hours ago, Raf said:

Agreed on Tanya (sigh) Roberts (thank you Cinemax!)

:dance:

Sadly, my TV carrier (DISH Network) no longer carries HBO or Cinemax, so I'm probably switching to UVerse.

Also sadly, Cinemax hasn't run any of the "Skinemax" stuff in over a year.  Showtime/Movie Channel are the only ones still in the soft-core business. :angry:

George

Oh I'm sure if you tried hard enough you would find it.

Ok, so this ongoing series is part of a genre that everyone knows, but for some reason, no one in the show ever mentions it.

The current lead male character does not appear in the source material.

No one from the pilot episode is still with the show.

If you're paying attention, time moves very slowly in the series. One character is pregnant for more than two years of our time. The show resolves this with a sudden time jump, allowing one toddler to age considerably while the baby is old enough for dialogue (not that we've actually seen the kid much, if at all).

20 hours ago, Raf said:

If you're paying attention, time moves very slowly in the series. One character is pregnant for more than two years of our time. The show resolves this with a sudden time jump, allowing one toddler to age considerably while the baby is old enough for dialogue (not that we've actually seen the kid much, if at all).

I haven't seen "The Walking Dead."  This comment actually had me thinking of a soap opera.  My Mom watched "As the World Turns" from when she was pregnant with me, almost up to her death.  She thought it was hysterical that adults never seemed to age, but kids grew up like weeds, so there was at least one character who was a great-great-grandfather!

George

Ok, so this ongoing series is part of a genre that everyone knows, but for some reason, no one in the show ever mentions it. No one ever says the word "zombie."

The current lead male character does not appear in the source material. The character of Daryl, played by Norman Reedus, was a fan favorite from his first appearance in the second episode. You might still be able to find shirts that say "If Daryl dies, we riot."

No one from the pilot episode is still with the show. The original main character was Rick Grimes. He wasn't killed off, but the other characters think he was. His partner, Shane, was killed at the end of the second season. His wife, Lori, was killed in the middle of the third season. His son, Carl, was killed in the middle of the eighth season.

If you're paying attention, time moves very slowly in the series. One character is pregnant for more than two years of our time. The show resolves this with a sudden time jump, allowing one toddler to age considerably while the baby is old enough for dialogue (not that we've actually seen the kid much, if at all). The character of Maggie learns she is pregnant in season 6. By the end of season 8, not only has she not delivered, but she is still not showing. A time jump starts season 9 and, yes, the baby is already born. The baby would now be about six years old, following another time jump. (still season 9).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, next round.

Here's the names of some of the episodes of this series.  (It is a completed series.) 

"the Last Laugh"      "Mommy's Little Monster"        "A Legion of Horribles"    "One of My 3 Soups"    "Follow the White Rabbit"   "Stop Hitting Yourself"

Here's the names of some of the episodes of this series.  (It is a completed series.) 

"the Last Laugh"      "Mommy's Little Monster"        "A Legion of Horribles"    "One of My 3 Soups"    "Follow the White Rabbit"   "Stop Hitting Yourself"

"the Balloonman"   "the Mask"      "Lovecraft"     "the Executioner"   "All Will Be Judged"   "Hog Day Afternoon"    "One Bad Day"

"the Balloonman"   "the Mask"      "Lovecraft"     "the Executioner"   "All Will Be Judged"   "Hog Day Afternoon"    "One Bad Day"

"Azrael"   "They Who Hide Behind Masks"    "A Day in the Narrows"  "Pena Dura"  "Ace Chemicals"

13 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"Azrael"   "They Who Hide Behind Masks"    "A Day in the Narrows"  "Pena Dura"  "Ace Chemicals"

A number of titles either refer to part of the Batman mythos, or are significant references to the setting.   "Last Laugh" is a Joker reference, "MLM" is a Harley reference,  "Lovecraft" refers to the name of Arkham Asylum being from Lovecraft's work,  "One Bad Day" is another Joker reference, as is "Ace Chemicals."  "Pena Dura" is a Bane reference.  "Azrael" is a recurring Bat family character.   "The Narrows" is a place in Gotham.  "Follow the White Rabbit" was a Mad Hatter and Alice episode, "the Mask" was a Black Mask episode.  "A Legion of Horribles" referred to Indian HIll, and "Hog Day Afternoon" featured Professor Pyg,     "The Balloonman" was an early episode.  

My favorite title for any episode was "One of My 3 Soups." Velaska, having escaped Haly's Circus as well as the law, went after his family. His uncle was expecting him.  When Velaska arrived at his diner, the uncle had 3 bowls of soup out, and Velaska was SURE he was surprising his uncle.  The uncle asked him to sit and talk before Velaska killed him.  Then he explained about the 3 soups at the booth in which they sat.  The uncle still loved gazpacho, so the soup that was "too cold" was for him.  The soup that was "just right" was for their old partner in the circus, the strongman-who pinned Velaska into the booth.   When I described this scene to Mrs Wolf, she jumped in with the rest of the explanation. "And the boiling-hot soup was for Velaska?"   She got the hang of the setting long ago.   Actually, that would have been it for Velaska- if Bruce hadn't arrived and stopped them from killing him (resulting, eventually, in a LARGE body count for Velaska later in the series.)