GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 8:42 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Sadly, I shall be away from my computer at least until Monday night.  If someone else wants to post, have at it.  If it's still open when I get back, I'll post one then.

George

It's then.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a weird round, but this is what I want to post now.

There were two shows, one previous, one  current.  Both are/were supposed to be action shows, of some sort, and had/ have some comedic moments.  Both shows have something specific in common (and probably nothing else.)   Both shows have had at least one main character TRANSFORMED INTO A PUPPET during an episode.  Name either show.

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm tempted to say Legends of Tomorrow, but Dr. Stein was never actually turned into a puppet.  A real puppet likeness of him got possessed.

George

Victor Garber wanted to leave the show, so Dr Stein was killed off (I would have liked keeping Franz Drameh on as Jax, however.)   Later, someone wanted to help the group get some closure, so they made a Dr Stein puppet so people could say what they always meant to say- to the puppet.   Later, a demon or something (dybbuk)  that possesses puppets got ahold of the Stein puppet and took it over.  But that's not Stein, that's  "Mike The Spike",  voiced by Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman.)   So, Stein does not count, nor does Mike The Spike.

This is a weird round, but this is what I want to post now.

There were two shows, one previous, one  current.  Both are/were supposed to be action shows, of some sort, and had/ have some comedic moments.  Both shows have something specific in common (and probably nothing else.)   Both shows have had at least one main character TRANSFORMED INTO A PUPPET during an episode.  Both shows can be considered "spin-offs" of an existing show (one of them was, the other COULD be considered one if you're very, very flexible on how you use that definition.)

Name either show.

It's funny.  I thought to myself, "Did anyone get the show I posted?"  Looking through the thread, it's apparent that my post never went up.  (I occasionally hit "Back" rather than "Submit Reply."  It's just something I do.)  Oh, well.  I'll save it for a later date.

You say that the two shows have something specific (and nothing else) in common, and then give two things they have in common.:biglaugh:

George

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I don't remember an episode of The Flash where someone was converted into a puppet, though the show could (loosely) be considered a spin-off of Arrow.

George

It was not an episode of "The Flash."  What counts as a spin-off of Arrow is definitely open to interpretation.  (Mrs Wolf and I certainly disagree on that subject.)

I said that Martin Stein and his puppet didn't count because it was just a puppet of Stein, and then something else (not Stein) possessed it. I never said "Legends of Tomorrow" didn't count, and you never actually guessed it- you said you "were tempted to" guess it.    The midseason ending show, "Legends of To-Meow-Meow" had Constantine struggling to change the timeline, and one of his many failed timelines resulted in Zari becoming a puppet in the jumpship,  and  Ray, Hank and Sara becoming "DC's Puppets of Tomorrow"- complete with a theme song, opening sequence, and so on.   Actually, Mrs Wolf and I wanted to see more of that show.  It was obviously a kids' show that taught things.  Hank was teaching about history (in that episode, Napoleon),  and Ray on math and science, and Sara something about teamwork.

Raf got this round, if he wants it. 

Ok, next round.

This show lasted for 5 seasons.  It had 2 shows eventually follow.  One used a very similar format and lasted for about 2 seasons (changing networks in the process.)  The other used a completely different format and lasted 1 season.  Apparently, critics seemed to like it, but the public didn't watch it. (Me, I thought it was awful, but I don't speak for everyone. In fact, I found "The Star Wars Holiday Special" more watchable.)    None of the shows premiered while any of the others was in production of new episodes, nor did they premiere shortly after any of the others ended filming.    Although the first show occasionally made a passing reference to a cinematic release, AFAIK, the others did not (in the case of the last one, that seems just a little strange, given the timing.)      Name the first show (for bragging rights, the names of all 3 shows.)

OK.  So the general timing was

Show 1 (5 seasons) -- Time passes -- Show 2 (2 seasons (or 1?)) -- Time passes -- Show 3 (1 season (or 2?))

(Although you mention the 2-season show second, it's not necessarily the second chronologically.)

Were the other shows spin-offs?  Did they share any characters?

George

19 minutes ago, Raf said:

When you say you "thought it was awful," you're talking about the third series, right?

Also, I'm assuming from your question that the shows did not all have the same name.

I was definitely talking about the 3rd series. I found it unwatchable. 

All the shows had different names from each other.  However, you'd know they shared characters just from the titles.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

OK.  So the general timing was

Show 1 (5 seasons) -- Time passes -- Show 2 (2 seasons (or 1?)) -- Time passes -- Show 3 (1 season (or 2?))

(Although you mention the 2-season show second, it's not necessarily the second chronologically.)

Were the other shows spin-offs?  Did they share any characters?

George

Yes on the timing, I mentioned them chronologically, and Show 3 lasted one season.

The shows all shared SOME characters but not every single one was shared with any of the others.

I'd need a tight definition on "spin-off" to know if you'd think they were spin-offs.  I'd say "no", but it's open to interpretation.  (They do share some characters as the same characters.)

My first guess is Get Smart!, but I'm not quite sure that fits. Get Smart Again was just a TV movie to the best of my knowledge, and the third series was just called Get Smart (and was not critically acclaimed by a longshot).

12 hours ago, Raf said:

My first guess is Get Smart!, but I'm not quite sure that fits. Get Smart Again was just a TV movie to the best of my knowledge, and the third series was just called Get Smart (and was not critically acclaimed by a longshot).

*checks*  Interesting coincidence.  "Get Smart" ALSO lasted 5 seasons.   However, it didn't have 2 series' follow, and the later "Get Smart" was meant to follow approximately the same format, with Agents 86  and 66 working together in an action-comedy.

This show lasted for 5 seasons.  It had 2 shows eventually follow.  One/the 2nd used a very similar format and lasted for about 2 seasons (changing networks in the process.)  The third/other used a completely different format and lasted 1 season.  Apparently, critics seemed to like it, but the public didn't watch it. (Me, I thought it was awful, but I don't speak for everyone. In fact, I found "The Star Wars Holiday Special" more watchable.)    None of the shows premiered while any of the others was in production of new episodes, nor did they premiere shortly after any of the others ended filming.    Although the first show occasionally made a passing reference to a cinematic release, AFAIK, the others did not (in the case of the last one, that seems just a little strange, given the timing.)      Name the first show (for bragging rights, the names of all 3 shows.)

I found the 3rd series unwatchable. 

All the shows had different names from each other.  However, you'd know they shared characters just from the titles.

Another tidbit is that all 3 shows premiered in different decades, and were not only separated by a few months (one premiering at the end of one decade, another at the beginning of the next), they premiered  long after the preceding one had entered syndication in one form or another.   BTW, my mention of The SWHS was not a clue, just a measure of how unwatchable I found the newest show.

The third show was billed as a sort of "slice of life comedy" and a "mockumentary".  I found the resulting product both unfunny and an abandonment of everything that made the first show memorable and accessible to the whole family (a classic, as I see it.)  You may disagree, of course (the critics did and I don't know why.) 

Another example of Hollywood not being able to find 2 brain cells to rub together was that the first show was unable to find a studio or network willing to take a chance on it anywhere IN Hollywood. Eventually they found one elsewhere, and the results were excellent.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I recognize the shows, but right now I'm drawing a complete blank.

George

Knowing your posting history, I would not be surprised if you never sat down to watch ANY of them. However, you certainly know the first show, and may know of at least the most recent.

Well, there were multiple Brady Bunch series, but too many  to fit this description. Not to mention, the critical acclaim is a stretch for the Bradys.

I have a hunch this was animated.

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Well, there were multiple Brady Bunch series, but too many  to fit this description. Not to mention, the critical acclaim is a stretch for the Bradys.

I have a hunch this was animated.

Not any form of Brady.    None of the shows I mentioned were animated.  (I chose not to mention 2 animated spinoffs among my clues.)