GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

I'm going to go with Avengers.

Not to be confused with Marvel's Avengers.

But yes, to be considered with The New Avengers

But not any cartoon Avengers, who are all Marvel anyway

Except for that godawful Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman Avengers movie, which was based on the TV show and not Marvel's live action movies or Direct to Video cartoons.

My head hurts.

Edited by Raf

7 hours ago, Raf said:

I'm going to go with Avengers.

Not to be confused with Marvel's Avengers.

But yes, to be considered with The New Avengers

But not any cartoon Avengers, who are all Marvel anyway

Except for that godawful Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman Avengers movie, which was based on the TV show and not Marvel's live action movies or Direct to Video cartoons.

My head hurts.

That's it.

I got the idea for this round when I tried to talk about Steed and Peel, and I almost had to draw a weapon to shut someone up long enough to make it clear I was talking about the British agents and not the Marvel movies when I was talking about TV.   I forgot how common it is for people to listen until they hear something they recognize- then they stop listening and respond even if the response is totally inappropriate. 

(I had that happen once discussing "faery changelings"- as I said out loud- and someone immediately jumped to thinking I meant shapechangers like Constable Odo of ST:DS9 and not the idea that faeries would swap mortal children for faeries in their cradle. ) 

On 8/22/2019 at 2:08 AM, WordWolf said:

This was a successful television show.  It ran for several seasons, and was syndicated to different countries, including the US.  It had a sequel show with new episodes some time later.  It was never an animated series nor an animated movie, and should not be mistaken for one.    It later resulted in a live-action movie- which should not be mistaken for any other movie, whether animated nor live-action.  There's a perfectly sensible reason, however, why someone might confuse the show (or the movie)  with a different movie or possibly movies.

In the UK, Marvel's "Avengers" movie was marketed as "Marvel's Avengers Assemble" to avoid confusion with the UK's Avengers, which, IIRC, predated the Marvel Comic book by a few years.  

Marvel's "Avengers" has had many cartoons and several live-action movies by now, of course.

*checks* The first season of the UK show aired in 1961, although it went through some changes before it became really popular (with John Steed and Emma Peel.)  The Marvel Comic debuted with a cover date of 1963.

This should be easy.

Near the end of this series' run, an actor was brought in to play the child of the title couple. He was significantly older than the actors who played his parents.

Segments of the actual scripts included opportunities for improv, including instructions that the lead actor "goes off here."

A signature gesture on this series is based on a signature gesture in an unrelated series.

Edited by Raf

For anyone who missed it, this round refers to "MORK AND MINDY."    When Mork and Mindy married and had a kid, the kid was played by Jonathan Winters, of whom Robin Williams was a fan.    There was a scene where both were improv- ing.   They just kept the cameras rolling for close to an hour, and several minutes were used in the end. 

If I've lost track of any threads where I'm up, please take over: Open post. I've got a hurricane about to hit a little closer to home than I'd like, and the LAST thing I need to think of is game threads. See you guys on the other side of Dorian next week.

4 hours ago, Raf said:

If I've lost track of any threads where I'm up, please take over: Open post. I've got a hurricane about to hit a little closer to home than I'd like, and the LAST thing I need to think of is game threads. See you guys on the other side of Dorian next week.

Fair enough.  Remember "The Cone of..."

George

True.  Raf can rejoin us when life permits. 

Next one.

This animated series has been wildly successful, and has been going for something like 20 years- and, AFAIK, is still ongoing. Like a number of successful cartoons down the years, it began as a tie-in to a line of toys.   This one even made the jump to theatrical releases!

Due to the grueling five-shows-a-week schedule, the expense and the difficulty of video editing in those days, most scenes were shot in a single take. Actors and actresses routinely flubbed their lines and searched for the teleprompter, set pieces collapsed, props malfunctioned, crew members walked into shots, microphones and secondary cameras got in the way, and it all wound up being preserved, because the production team figured each episode would only be seen one time.

This was the first daily soap opera to be offered in syndication.

George

No.

Due to the grueling five-shows-a-week schedule, the expense and the difficulty of video editing in those days, most scenes were shot in a single take. Actors and actresses routinely flubbed their lines and searched for the teleprompter, set pieces collapsed, props malfunctioned, crew members walked into shots, microphones and secondary cameras got in the way, and it all wound up being preserved, because the production team figured each episode would only be seen one time.

This was the first daily soap opera to be offered in syndication.

Visual effects were very costly for a daytime soap opera. In order to keep within the budget, the show's creator, Dan Curtis, decreed that no more than five characters could appear in a single episode (this was occasionally relaxed for sweeps-week episodes, in which major plot twists took place).

Thayer David holds the record for playing the most characters in this series. He portrayed Matthew Morgan #2, Ben Stokes (in 1795), Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes, Sandor Rakosi (in 1897), Count Petofi (also in 1897), Quentin Collins (his mind in Petoffi's body, also in 1897), Stokes (Parallel Time), aged Professor Stokes (1995), aged Ben Stokes and farmer Mordecai Grimes (both in 1840), and aged Ben Stokes (Parallel Time, 1841).

George