GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

This cartoon was popular enough to be moved from Saturday morning to prime time, where it won an Emmy.  Then it was moved back to Saturday, with the addition of a new character, and was cancelled after a few episodes.

The voice actor for one of the main characters described the character's voice as 65% Orson Welles, 35% Vincent Price.  And he should know.  He also dubbed Vincent D'Onofrio's role as Welles in "Ed Wood."

George

This cartoon was popular enough to be moved from Saturday morning to prime time, where it won an Emmy.  Then it was moved back to Saturday, with the addition of a new character, and was cancelled after a few episodes.

The voice actor for one of the main characters described the character's voice as 65% Orson Welles, 35% Vincent Price.  And he should know.  He also dubbed Vincent D'Onofrio's role as Welles in "Ed Wood."

The other main character's voice was modeled after Frank Spencer, the main protagonist of the BBC sitcom Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (1973).

The main characters were unintentionally created by Bruce Timm, when creating caricatures of Producers Eddie Fitzgerald and Tom Minton.

George

Ok, some cooking shows.  Name any to take the round.

A) Michael Symon filled in for a season when Robert Irvine was fired for padding his resume.   RI returned for the next season, because he was interesting and Symon was not!

B) Guy Fieri zooms around,  stopping at little hole-in-the-wall eating establishments and other places,  and finds out how they make some specialty for which they are known.  The nickname for this show is "Triple-D".

C) 2 chefs assemble teams, then try to teach them to make dishes- after which the teams compete to make the dishes competently.

D) Buddy Velasco tried to do a standard cooking show.  This was the result- and it's not his best-remembered work....

E) Who decided that the best choice for a host for a cooking show is an actor-martial artist?  Mark DeCasco was the host for a while.

F) This show ended because Chris Cosentino, one of its hosts, was too injured from various  "eat the hot food" challenges to continue in his role.  Aron Sanchez and he normally had traveled from place to place,  trying to out-cook and out-race local chefs at some local dishes and local sites.  (The locals may be used to making the dish all the time, and definitely knew all the driving shortcuts.)  Both teams (of 2)   were issued a car and backpack for the episode (ignore the backpack's contents and risk losing the episode for lack of some critical tool.)   One season had Food Network chefs brought in to compete against Aron and Chris.

G) Walmart "Flavortown" is the setting for this cooking show.  Four chefs (professional or amateur)  compete to make a specified type of dish within the parameters, using the workstations provided and the contents of the Walmart "Flavortown" supermarket in which this show is filmed.

5 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, some cooking shows.  Name any to take the round.

A) Michael Symon filled in for a season when Robert Irvine was fired for padding his resume.   RI returned for the next season, because he was interesting and Symon was not!

B) Guy Fieri zooms around,  stopping at little hole-in-the-wall eating establishments and other places,  and finds out how they make some specialty for which they are known.  The nickname for this show is "Triple-D".

C) 2 chefs assemble teams, then try to teach them to make dishes- after which the teams compete to make the dishes competently.

D) Buddy Velasco tried to do a standard cooking show.  This was the result- and it's not his best-remembered work....

E) Who decided that the best choice for a host for a cooking show is an actor-martial artist?  Mark DeCasco was the host for a while.

F) This show ended because Chris Cosentino, one of its hosts, was too injured from various  "eat the hot food" challenges to continue in his role.  Aron Sanchez and he normally had traveled from place to place,  trying to out-cook and out-race local chefs at some local dishes and local sites.  (The locals may be used to making the dish all the time, and definitely knew all the driving shortcuts.)  Both teams (of 2)   were issued a car and backpack for the episode (ignore the backpack's contents and risk losing the episode for lack of some critical tool.)   One season had Food Network chefs brought in to compete against Aron and Chris.

G) Walmart "Flavortown" is the setting for this cooking show.  Four chefs (professional or amateur)  compete to make a specified type of dish within the parameters, using the workstations provided and the contents of the Walmart "Flavortown" supermarket in which this show is filmed.

A)   Dinner Impossible.      B) Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.     C) World's Worst Cooks.      D)Kitchen Boss.     E) Iron Chef America.   F) Chefs Vs City     G) Guys Grocery Games (Triple-G).

George's turn!

• 2 weeks later...

This one big clue will probably give it away.

The show's premise of a recovering alcoholic hit too close to home, as the star was an alcoholic in real-life. She drunkenly fought for creative control, resulting in five producers either quitting or being forced out in the five years the sitcom was on the air. Off-set, she pulled such stunts as stumbling onto David Letterman and claiming Walt Disney's last words were, 'Whatever you do, don't let the Jews get the place." (The sitcom aired on ABC, which had recently been purchased by Disney.) Her supporting cast soon grew tired of her expletive-filled rants and on-set breakdowns. Julie White quit the show, and Jon Paul Steuer reportedly left after he received a firsthand look at the star's new boob job, which she proudly flashed about set. ABC hastily ended the show mid season in 1998. (George's editorial note:  it's a shame.  The show had real promise; I enjoyed its first two seasons.)

George

While we wait.....

This game-show has been successfully franchised in different countries, with some name changes besides obvious translations.  The original game-show has stopped production, then resumed on a different network, more than once.   It has had original episodes on Fox (in a prime-time slot as well as day-time), Fox Family (or Family before Fox bought it, I'm not sure),  on the Country Music channel, and on Nickelodeon (kids channel.)   It's had at least 2 hosts.  Celebrity contestants have included- Abby Kadabby (a Sesame Street Muppet), Gene Simmons, Ken Jennings, and George Smoot.   Amazingly, the concept for this show first appeared on the Howard Stern Show.  AFAIK, it's the only game-show that's ever been hosted by John Cena (WWE wrestler John Cena.)

This game-show has been successfully franchised in different countries, with some name changes besides obvious translations.  The original game-show has stopped production, then resumed on a different network, more than once.   It has had original episodes on Fox (in a prime-time slot as well as day-time), Fox Family (or Family before Fox bought it, I'm not sure),  on the Country Music channel, and on Nickelodeon (kids channel.)   It's had at least 2 hosts.  Celebrity contestants have included- Abby Kadabby (a Sesame Street Muppet), Gene Simmons, Ken Jennings, and George Smoot.   Amazingly, the concept for this show first appeared on the Howard Stern Show.  AFAIK, it's the only game-show that's ever been hosted by John Cena (WWE wrestler John Cena.)

By any measure, most of the contestants have had at least a small measure of embarrassment,  if only as they left with their money.  It's also one of few shows I've answered from my chair at home by launching into song.  It's probably the only show I've done that where the show was NOT song-based or singing-based.  For the record, some contestants have left with nothing, albeit few of them.  In particular, I've found the questions about calendar dates the most difficult, and often have little trouble with most of the questions on the show.  Then again, they're a lot easier from home.... 

12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Ken Jennings...:doh:

Jeopardy!

George

George Smoot is a scientist,  and not an unknown one.  Ken Jennings became famous on Jeopardy!   That showed he was intelligent.  Putting him on a different game show allowed us a chance to see how intelligent he was outside of Jeopardy!      This raised an obvious question.

By any measure, most of the contestants have had at least a small measure of embarrassment,  if only as they left with their money. (WHY?)  It's also one of few shows I've answered from my chair at home by launching into song.  It's probably the only show I've done that where the show was NOT song-based or singing-based.  For the record, some contestants have left with nothing, albeit few of them.  In particular, I've found the questions about calendar dates the most difficult, and often have little trouble with most of the questions on the show.  Then again, they're a lot easier from home....     This is probably the only TV show where the podium where a contestant stands has an APPLE in the setup. whether as the big button to press, or as an obvious decoration.

2 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

George Smoot is a scientist,  and not an unknown one.  Ken Jennings became famous on Jeopardy!   That showed he was intelligent.  Putting him on a different game show allowed us a chance to see how intelligent he was outside of Jeopardy!      This raised an obvious question.

Well, ONE obvious question would be, what game show would have some very intelligent men and a Muppet as contestants?  (I have no idea how bright Gene Simmons really is.  He was smart enough to catch Shannon Tweed...)

George

Just now, WordWolf said:

By any measure, most of the contestants have had at least a small measure of embarrassment,  if only as they left with their money. (WHY?)  It's also one of few shows I've answered from my chair at home by launching into song.  It's probably the only show I've done that where the show was NOT song-based or singing-based.  For the record, some contestants have left with nothing, albeit few of them.  In particular, I've found the questions about calendar dates the most difficult, and often have little trouble with most of the questions on the show.  Then again, they're a lot easier from home....     This is probably the only TV show where the podium where a contestant stands has an APPLE in the setup. whether as the big button to press, or as an obvious decoration.

The apple clue does not help.  I'm fairly certain I haven't SEEN this show.  I may not have even HEARD OF it.

George

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The apple clue does not help.  I'm fairly certain I haven't SEEN this show.  I may not have even HEARD OF it.

George

What was the apple for?

You've heard of this show.  I can't guarantee you've seen it.  It's run in prime-time as well as daytime in the US, on network TV as well as cable.  This is not an particularly obscure show.