GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

George Smoot is a scientist,  and not an unknown one.  Ken Jennings became famous on Jeopardy!   That showed he was intelligent.  Putting him on a different game show allowed us a chance to see how intelligent he was outside of Jeopardy!      This raised an obvious question.

Was he smarter than the average Jeopardy contestant?

Was he smarter than a college grad?

Was he smarter than a high school grad?

5 hours ago, WordWolf said:

What was the apple for?

You've heard of this show.  I can't guarantee you've seen it.  It's run in prime-time as well as daytime in the US, on network TV as well as cable.  This is not an particularly obscure show.

"An apple for the teacher."    A classroom reference, and the symbol for the show includes one.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

This game-show has been successfully franchised in different countries, with some name changes besides obvious translations.  The original game-show has stopped production, then resumed on a different network, more than once.   It has had original episodes on Fox (in a prime-time slot as well as day-time), Fox Family (or Family before Fox bought it, I'm not sure),  on the Country Music channel, and on Nickelodeon (kids channel.)   It's had at least 2 hosts.  Celebrity contestants have included- Abby Kadabby (a Sesame Street Muppet), Gene Simmons, Ken Jennings, and George Smoot.   Amazingly, the concept for this show first appeared on the Howard Stern Show.  AFAIK, it's the only game-show that's ever been hosted by John Cena (WWE wrestler John Cena.)

By any measure, most of the contestants have had at least a small measure of embarrassment,  if only as they left with their money. (WHY?)  It's also one of few shows I've answered from my chair at home by launching into song.  It's probably the only show I've done that where the show was NOT song-based or singing-based.  For the record, some contestants have left with nothing, albeit few of them.  In particular, I've found the questions about calendar dates the most difficult, and often have little trouble with most of the questions on the show.  Then again, they're a lot easier from home....     This is probably the only TV show where the podium where a contestant stands has an APPLE in the setup. whether as the big button to press, or as an obvious decoration.

"Are you smarter than a 10-year old" is the UK/ Australia name(s). 

Jeff Foxworthy was lately replaced with John Cena.  Foxworthy's probably why it ended up on the Country Music Channel.   

The embarrassment-  after leaving with their winnings but not taking the top prize, they had to announce they were NOT smarter than a 5th grader.  I think George Smoot cleared the board and got to say "and I AM smarter than a 5th grader!"        I've launched into SchoolHouse Rock songs when the answer was in a song lyric.   My favorite DUMB contestant was a guy who jumped to answer a 1st grade question without listening and thinking (it was NOT a timed challenge.)  He missed and had to leave.  When he said he name, he said "...and I am not smarter than a 1st grader, I'm not smarter than a 2nd grader..." through 5th grader.   I appreciated his candor if nothing else.   The math and science questions are often manageable, but the calendar dates for holidays often throw me off.    BTW, celebrity contestants played for charity.

The show's theme song was composed by Jack Keller, and had lyrics written by Howard Greenfield that were never used on the show. Several artists recorded versions of the song, including Steve Lawrence and Peggy Lee.  At one time, the producers of the show considered using a song from the Rodgers & Hart musical "Pal Joey" as the show's theme song, but ultimately decided to use an original song instead. (Probably because of the enormous amount of money it would have taken to obtain the music rights to use the Rodgers & Hart tune.)

The main character is often compared with the main character of another show in the way Mary Ann and Ginger were:  "Would you rather have Mary Ann or Ginger?"  (My choice was always Mary Ann AND Ginger.  And maybe Mrs. Howell.)

One of the stars had to leave the show after five seasons because of a back injury he sustained while filming a movie years earlier,  He was replaced by another actor playing the same character.  In fact, THREE different characters had two different actors portray them during the show.

George

It was, indeed.  As well as two Darrins, there were two Louise Tates and two Gladys Kravitzes.  There were also several Tabithas (various sets of twins).

And the comparison was Samantha v. Jeannie.  (Again, the correct answer is BOTH.)

Lyrics to "Bewitched":

Bewitched, bewitched, you've got me in your spell.
Bewitched, bewitched, you know your craft so well.

Before I knew what you were doing I looked in your eyes.
That brand of woo that you've been brew-in' took me by surprise.

You witch, you witch, one thing that's for sure,
That stuff you pitch - just hasn't got a cure.

My heart was under lock and key, but somehow it got unhitched.
I never thought my heart could be had.
But now I'm caught and I'm kind of glad to be Bewitched.
Bewitched-witched.

George

Supposed reality shows this time.  Name ANY to take the round.

A) This reality show put a bunch of people in an RV and sent them around the US (usually)  to finish tasks and try to win "a handsome reward."  One season was on a big ship, and another season was across islands in Latin America or thereabouts.   Probably the crowning moment there was when they were waiting for a boat on a beach.  It arrived,  piloted by Bob Denver in appropriate costume.  "What's so funny?  "IT'S GILLIGAN!!!!!"   It would have been twice as bad if I were there- I was making Gilligan jokes as soon as a boat appeared on the horizon.  Having him actually appear after that would have been too much.  Oh, and the wind snatched off his hat- but one contestant jumped from the boat to rescue it.  Bob was very thankful.

(Starting with just one.)

A) This reality show put a bunch of people in an RV and sent them around the US (usually)  to finish tasks and try to win "a handsome reward."  One season was on a big ship, and another season was across islands in Latin America or thereabouts.   Probably the crowning moment there was when they were waiting for a boat on a beach.  It arrived,  piloted by Bob Denver in appropriate costume.  "What's so funny?  "IT'S GILLIGAN!!!!!"   It would have been twice as bad if I were there- I was making Gilligan jokes as soon as a boat appeared on the horizon.  Having him actually appear after that would have been too much.  Oh, and the wind snatched off his hat- but one contestant jumped from the boat to rescue it.  Bob was very thankful.

B) This reality show put some "celebrities" together (for some value of "celebrity" or another)  into one house.  We got Gary Coleman, Tammy Faye Baker, Vanilla Ice, Ron Jeremy,  Erik Estrada in one season.  Another season had Corey Feldman,  MC Hammer, Emmanuel Lewis, Gabrielle Charteris, and Vince Neil.  Another had Charo, Dave Coulier, Flavor Flav,  Jordan Knight, and Brigitte Neilsen.  Another had  Adrienne Curry, Christopher Knight, Verne Troyer, and Jane Weidlin.   Another had Jose Canseco, Janice Dickenson, and Bronson Pinchot.     Another (yes, six seasons!)  had Sherman Hemsley, Tawny Kitaen, Florence Henderson,  CC De Ville, and Steve "Smash Mouth" Harwell.

This show had more than 1 spin-off.    One memorable moment from the season with Jose Canseco was a softball game versus "the celebrities" - lookalikes of Michael Jackson, etc.  Heading that team was "Jose Canseco."   The resemblance was truly uncanny- because Jose Canseco has a twin brother and they brought him in for the episode!

A) This reality show put a bunch of people in an RV and sent them around the US (usually)  to finish tasks and try to win "a handsome reward."  One season was on a big ship, and another season was across islands in Latin America or thereabouts.   Probably the crowning moment there was when they were waiting for a boat on a beach.  It arrived,  piloted by Bob Denver in appropriate costume.  "What's so funny?  "IT'S GILLIGAN!!!!!"   It would have been twice as bad if I were there- I was making Gilligan jokes as soon as a boat appeared on the horizon.  Having him actually appear after that would have been too much.  Oh, and the wind snatched off his hat- but one contestant jumped from the boat to rescue it.  Bob was very thankful.      The emphasis was more on the journey than on the locations, much of the time.  They eventually ended up not only crossing over with another "reality" show, but sort-of merging into the crossover show, which has lasted a LOT longer than this show!

B) This reality show put some "celebrities" together (for some value of "celebrity" or another)  into one house.  We got Gary Coleman, Tammy Faye Baker, Vanilla Ice, Ron Jeremy,  Erik Estrada in one season.  Another season had Corey Feldman,  MC Hammer, Emmanuel Lewis, Gabrielle Charteris, and Vince Neil.  Another had Charo, Dave Coulier, Flavor Flav,  Jordan Knight, and Brigitte Neilsen.  Another had  Adrienne Curry, Christopher Knight, Verne Troyer, and Jane Weidlin.   Another had Jose Canseco, Janice Dickenson, and Bronson Pinchot.     Another (yes, six seasons!)  had Sherman Hemsley, Tawny Kitaen, Florence Henderson,  CC De Ville, and Steve "Smash Mouth" Harwell.

This show had more than 1 spin-off.    One memorable moment from the season with Jose Canseco was a softball game versus "the celebrities" - lookalikes of Michael Jackson, etc.  Heading that team was "Jose Canseco."   The resemblance was truly uncanny- because Jose Canseco has a twin brother and they brought him in for the episode!

C) This short-lived reality show had a businessman study martial arts,  then travel around to places with an indigenous martial art.  There he tried to crash-course on it in a few days, after which he tried to compete in it.  They didn't take it easy on the guy, and sometimes you had to wonder if he was going to suffer permanent damage or a fatal injury!

A) This reality show put a bunch of people in an RV and sent them around the US (usually)  to finish tasks and try to win "a handsome reward."  One season was on a big ship, and another season was across islands in Latin America or thereabouts.   Probably the crowning moment there was when they were waiting for a boat on a beach.  It arrived,  piloted by Bob Denver in appropriate costume.  "What's so funny?  "IT'S GILLIGAN!!!!!"   It would have been twice as bad if I were there- I was making Gilligan jokes as soon as a boat appeared on the horizon.  Having him actually appear after that would have been too much.  Oh, and the wind snatched off his hat- but one contestant jumped from the boat to rescue it.  Bob was very thankful.      The emphasis was more on the journey than on the locations, much of the time.  They eventually ended up not only crossing over with another "reality" show, but sort-of merging into the crossover show, which has lasted a LOT longer than this show!

C) This short-lived reality show had a businessman study martial arts,  then travel around to places with an indigenous martial art.  There he tried to crash-course on it in a few days, after which he tried to compete in it.  They didn't take it easy on the guy, and sometimes you had to wonder if he was going to suffer permanent damage or a fatal injury!

D) This reality show has a comedy troupe do a hidden camera show.  Each comedian wears an earpiece, and the others give him instructions he HAS to follow, and deal with the public.  If he fails at his task, he loses.  The biggest loser of an episode has a big punishment at the end of the episode.   The biggest surprise is always waiting to see what the public does.   We've seen people sign a petition for a charity called "Fake Charity".   We saw one comedian security-wanding at an event, and a woman deliberately vague as to if she was concealing drugs (so she would have to be searched),  and incidents where it looked like the comedians' lives were in danger.[/b]

4 hours ago, Raf said:

I'm a celebrity, get me out of here

You may well be considered a local celebrity, but you can leave here whenever you feel you must. 

In other news, you didn't name any of the shows I mentioned.    I'll add more clues later tonight, or something before dawn at any rate.

A) This reality show put a bunch of people in an RV and sent them around the US (usually)  to finish tasks and try to win "a handsome reward."  One season was on a big ship, and another season was across islands in Latin America or thereabouts.   Probably the crowning moment there was when they were waiting for a boat on a beach.  It arrived,  piloted by Bob Denver in appropriate costume.  "What's so funny?  "IT'S GILLIGAN!!!!!"   It would have been twice as bad if I were there- I was making Gilligan jokes as soon as a boat appeared on the horizon.  Having him actually appear after that would have been too much.  Oh, and the wind snatched off his hat- but one contestant jumped from the boat to rescue it.  Bob was very thankful.      The emphasis was more on the journey than on the locations, much of the time.  They eventually ended up not only crossing over with another "reality" show, but sort-of merging into the crossover show, which has lasted a LOT longer than this show!  The show's title referred to the highways they needed to travel (usually) as well as their requirements.

This show had more than 1 spin-off.    One memorable moment from the season with Jose Canseco was a softball game versus "the celebrities" - lookalikes of Michael Jackson, etc.  Heading that team was "Jose Canseco."   The resemblance was truly uncanny- because Jose Canseco has a twin brother and they brought him in for the episode! Some people might think there's nothing more odd than seeing a bunch of "celebrities" dumped together in one home, as if it was a sort-of Twilight Zone version of reality.  That's probably overthinking this, though.

D) This reality show has a comedy troupe- the Tenderloins- do a hidden camera show.  Each comedian wears an earpiece, and the others give him instructions he HAS to follow, and deal with the public.  If he fails at his task, he loses.  The biggest loser of an episode has a big punishment at the end of the episode.   The biggest surprise is always waiting to see what the public does.   We've seen people sign a petition for a charity called "Fake Charity".   We saw one comedian security-wanding at an event, and a woman deliberately vague as to if she was concealing drugs (so she would have to be searched),  and incidents where it looked like the comedians' lives were in danger! It's pranks on the public and on the comedians.

E) This "documentary" attempted to compared different types of fighters and their weapons, to see who would win if they were forced to fight face-to-face, either one-on-one or five-on-five.  Despite attempts to be fair, they often were wildly subjective in how they measured damage, and applied rules inconsistent from episode to episode.  As an example of the former, they had both weapons slash on a side of beef- but it was the SAME side, so the second cutter had his target area reduced to half before he even began to swing!  (I would have insisted, before the swing, that they agree they were only making me hit the same slab of beef because they could only make the contest even by cheating.)   As an example of the latter, one episode considered the concealability of the weapons-  and a different episode comparing similar fighters completely disregarded it-  both times to the benefit of whoever was representing the exact same fighters (the Italian Mafia, vs the James Gang and the Yakuza, respectively.)    Whether armor was a consideration was often applied inconsistently (as protection against the LAST weapon but not the first 2), and a shield was never measured for its ability to block a blow (its primary function), but only for its ability to DELIVER a blow.  The unreliability of a weapon was often ignored. (When comparing Knight vs Pirate, the primitive "grenado" in the demonstration FAILED on camera.  However, when doing calculations for 100 versions of the same fight, they assumed the grenado would go off each time it was used- without even a 1% chance of failure.  Likewise, his black powder pistol was assumed to be 100% reliable.)   Finally, the wieldiness of a weapon was ignored in favor of only how much damage it did if it connected.  (Somali pirates with a boat anchor vs some drug cartel with a machete.  The anchor was slow to swing and hard to direct and slow to recover, the machete was fast to swing and easy to direct and fast to recover.  They said the anchor was more dangerous.  In a life-or-death fight with one against the other, give me the machete.  I have to evade the first swing of the anchor, then I have all day to slash one of the attacker's arms since the machete is one-handed and the anchor is not.)    All of that aside, they TRIED to measure who was more fatal, and it WAS entertaining despite its flaws.

D) This reality show has a comedy troupe- the Tenderloins-  do a hidden camera show.  Each comedian wears an earpiece, and the others give him instructions he HAS to follow, and deal with the public.  If he fails at his task, he loses.  The biggest loser of an episode has a big punishment at the end of the episode.   The biggest surprise is always waiting to see what the public does.   We've seen people sign a petition for a charity called "Fake Charity".   We saw one comedian security-wanding at an event, and a woman deliberately vague as to if she was concealing drugs (so she would have to be searched),  and incidents where it looked like the comedians' lives were in danger!

[E) This "documentary" attempted to compared different types of fighters and their weapons, to see who would win if they were forced to fight face-to-face, either one-on-one or five-on-five.  Despite attempts to be fair, they often were wildly subjective in how they measured damage, and applied rules inconsistent from episode to episode.  As an example of the former, they had both weapons slash on a side of beef- but it was the SAME side, so the second cutter had his target area reduced to half before he even began to swing!  (I would have insisted, before the swing, that they agree they were only making me hit the same slab of beef because they could only make the contest even by cheating.)   As an example of the latter, one episode considered the concealability of the weapons-  and a different episode comparing similar fighters completely disregarded it-  both times to the benefit of whoever was representing the exact same fighters (the Italian Mafia, vs the James Gang and the Yakuza, respectively.)    Whether armor was a consideration was often applied inconsistently (as protection against the LAST weapon but not the first 2), and a shield was never measured for its ability to block a blow (its primary function), but only for its ability to DELIVER a blow.  The unreliability of a weapon was often ignored. (When comparing Knight vs Pirate, the primitive "grenado" in the demonstration FAILED on camera.  However, when doing calculations for 100 versions of the same fight, they assumed the grenado would go off each time it was used- without even a 1% chance of failure.  Likewise, his black powder pistol was assumed to be 100% reliable.)   Finally, the wieldiness of a weapon was ignored in favor of only how much damage it did if it connected.  (Somali pirates with a boat anchor vs some drug cartel with a machete.  The anchor was slow to swing and hard to direct and slow to recover, the machete was fast to swing and easy to direct and fast to recover.  They said the anchor was more dangerous.  In a life-or-death fight with one against the other, give me the machete.  I have to evade the first swing of the anchor, then I have all day to slash one of the attacker's arms since the machete is one-handed and the anchor is not.)    All of that aside, they TRIED to measure who was more fatal, and it WAS entertaining despite its flaws.

F) This long-running show is supposedly about what happens when people stop being polite.  :)   Its cast is rather obviously selected to try to find people most likely to have arguments and fights, and put them on the same season.   It's been considered a showcase for immaturity and irresponsible behavior.  That's inevitable when you cast with the network in question, and with the agenda of the network and management of the show.  (The show would likely have a slant no matter who ran it- in this case, it's ultra-left/ liberal.)  There weren't a lot of celebrity careers launched with this show, and I suspect the best-known series alum was the one who went on to become a comic book writer.  This show inspired at least 2 other shows on the same network.

52 minutes ago, Raf said:

Ok, if it's not I'm a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here, then B is....

drumroll please......

The Surreal Life

It is indeed!

The show was actually more interesting than "I'm a Celebrity", if what I saw was any indication.   It was interesting to see who was a team player, who was a prima donna, etc.   Gary Coleman lost his cool on Vanilla Ice,  Traci Bingham deserved to be slapped, Ron Jeremy seemed like a team player, etc.  Erik Estrada joined in, which he always did on those shows.