GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

"Perhaps you should save this further education George for another thread."

I'm not sure what this means.  It was not a political statement.  Your earlier reply indicated to me that when I said "America was in a war at the time of this show" you inferred that it was WWII.  It was not.  The highlighted section below should help.

One of the stars of this series could not pass the US Marine Corps physical during World War II, and ended up serving in the U.S. Army. During his service he distinguished himself by taking part in 14 assault landings, including Leyte, Luzon, Bataan and Corregidor.   The battles mentioned in this clue were all major WWII battles (Pacific theater).  Even George Peppard wasn't old enough to have fought in WWII.  The actor mentioned in the first clue was born in 1923.  The other stars were born in 1930 and 1931.

As America was engaged in a war IN VIETNAM at the time of this show (that is, when the show aired), many viewers wrote to ask why the characters remained stateside.  The producers of the show (quite reasonably, IMHO) did not feel that the horrors of war were appropriate for this show.

The same star, in his role, had the following decorations:  Bronze Star (2), Purple Heart, Navy Presidential Unit Citation (2), Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal (3), World War Two Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal (4 Campaigns), U.N. Service Medal, and a Korean Presidential Unit Citation. In addition, he wears Expert Rifleman and Expert Pistol marksmanship badges.

The main star of the show's character was spun off from a very popular show at the time.

The show was not really a sequel to the show it spun off from.  The main star of the featured show was an occasional character on the first.  The star of the first show did make an appearance or two on the spinoff.

When the main star decided to quit the show and have a variety show, the producers thought they could re-brand the show without him.  (Coincidentally, this is almost exactly what happened with the show this one was spun off from.)  When the other two stars opted to join the variety show, the producers gave up on the idea.

I've tried attaching the opening theme to the show, here, but it doesn't seem to be working.TV openng theme.wav

(I've got the file on my desktop, if someone can tell me how to get it to insert as a workable file, not just a dead link.)

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

I know nothing about the actors, but the details point to Gomer Pyle, USMC.

The horrors of war not appropriate.

Spun offfrom a popular show where he was only an occasional character (Andy Griffith)

Lead went on to a variety show (Jim Nabors)

Do the show without the lead (Mayberry RFD)

Gomer Pyle, USMC. Final answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got something.

Some shows are sequels or spinoffs of other shows.  Some shows are the shows from which other shows spun off.    This show is a sequel of a previous show, and has had more than one show either as a sequel or spinoff from this show (depending on how one defines either.)  One of its sequels, in fact, is either current or ended fairly recently (it had episodes in 2020.)   At least 3 characters from the previous show have appeared in this show, and at least two other actors/actresses from the previous show appeared on this show as well (but not as their previous characters.)    We've seen some of this show's characters appear in 2 sequels (as regulars in one of them, as guests in the other.)   The current/recent show has/had one of them as well.      What is the name of this show?

No, "the Walking Dead" was based directly on Robert Kirkman's comic/graphic novels of the same name.   This round is not on anything from that franchise. 

The TV shows mentioned in this round are not based on any comic books, for that matter.

4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

The TV shows mentioned in this round are not based on any comic books, for that matter.

Well, there goes my second guess.

It's not an NCIS show, as there are THREE of them currently.

I don't watch the CSI or Law and Oder franchises, but I don't think it's one of them either.

With your penchant for cooking shows, that's a possibility, although, since most are unscripted, the stars would not really be portraying "characters."

In other words, I have no idea.  I'll definitely need more info.

George

18 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Well, there goes my second guess.

It's not an NCIS show, as there are THREE of them currently.

I don't watch the CSI or Law and Oder franchises, but I don't think it's one of them either.

With your penchant for cooking shows, that's a possibility, although, since most are unscripted, the stars would not really be portraying "characters."

In other words, I have no idea.  I'll definitely need more info.

George

Not NCIS, CSI, L&O, or those genres (neither those franchises nor anything like them)  Nothing that ever aired on The Food Network, Cooking Channel, etc, nor anything that ever MIGHT air there (not food-related, not cooking-related....).       You're correct that the shows have "characters"  which eliminates a lot of possibilities.

As I said, these shows are in no way based on any comic books (nor graphic novels, and so on).

Ok, so first there's Show A

Then there's Show B, which spun off/is a sequel to Show A

Show B has at least two "spinoffs" (let's call them C and D), ONE of which is either ongoing or recently concluded.

We're looking for Show B.

The only shows I can THINK of that fit this bill, although there could easily be a show I can't think of, are Star Trek and Law n Order.

So it's either TNG or SVU.

I'm gonna go with Law and Order SVU (which is still going on and renewed until the 3041 season, if I'm not mistaken. That's not a typo, but it is a joke).

Wait, no, it can't be Law n Order. It's a SEQUEL to show B that just had episodes.

So I'm switching my answer to Star Trek TNG.

Discovery doesn't count as a sequel, but Star Trek Picard does. And that just wrapped its first season.

I believe you're right.

Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and Sarek all appeared on STNG

Majel Barret played a different character Nurse Chapel/Lwaxanna Troi.  The other one isn't coming to me immediately.  Unless it's Mark Lenard, who also played a Romulan commander on ST.

O'Brien and Worf were regulars on STDS9.  (I don't know if they're also in Picard.)

There were smatterings of the various crews on both Voyager and Enterprise.

George

5 hours ago, Raf said:

Wait, no, it can't be Law n Order. It's a SEQUEL to show B that just had episodes.

So I'm switching my answer to Star Trek TNG.

Discovery doesn't count as a sequel, but Star Trek Picard does. And that just wrapped its first season.

You are correct, sir!

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I believe you're right.

Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and Sarek all appeared on STNG

Majel Barret played a different character Nurse Chapel/Lwaxanna Troi.  The other one isn't coming to me immediately.  Unless it's Mark Lenard, who also played a Romulan commander on ST.

O'Brien and Worf were regulars on STDS9.  (I don't know if they're also in Picard.)

There were smatterings of the various crews on both Voyager and Enterprise.

George

Diana Muldaur's remembered as Chief Medical Officer Katherine Pulaski.  In TOS, she played Dr Ann Mulhall in "Return to Tomorrow" and Dr Miranda Jones in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?"     People keep forgetting she was a TNG regular for one season.  (She wishes she could forget it, also.) 

The regular who appears in "Star Trek: Picard" - I'm sure you can work that one out.....

One of the lead actor's first roles was as a Von Trapp child in The Sound of Music (movie).

The show was canceled primarily because the network did not want to be too closely associated with its genre: it already had two successful shows in the genre and only kept one of them.

The original pilot was given a theatrical release in some countries, but not in the USA. The main character would not be seen in theaters again for another 25 years. Since then, he's been on the big screen 11 times.

Edited by Raf

3 hours ago, Raf said:

I guarantee you know the answer.

Not a lot of characters have been in 11 movies [eight as the title character]. 

So, a lot of movies in the franchise (or franchises.)  They were all theatrical releases (not TV or direct-to-video.)   Most of them had the same title character.  That limits the scope considerably, and James Bond is out for not having his name appear in the titles.  

I have a few guesses, I will run them one at a time.  Is this "Friday the 13th"  and Jason Voorhees?     (BTW, his old run of movies here aren't Fri 13, but " Jason the Killer."  )